Exam authorization - first vs. middle name

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jdscottPE

Reaction score
When I took the PE exam in 2009, it was administered (in SC) by ELSES which was (is?) a NCEES affiliate. My exam authorization had my middle and last names. My SCDL has my first, middle, and last names. I was admitted with no problems.

I am taking the exam in another discipline this month. My exam authorization has my middle and last names again. I am concerned that I'll have issues (paranoia, I know).

Has anyone had problems with this?

I plan to call NCEES tomorrow.

When I took the PE exam in 2009, it was administered (in SC) by ELSES which was (is?) a NCEES affiliate. My exam authorization had my middle and last names. My SCDL has my first, middle, and last names. I was admitted with no problems.

I am taking the exam in another discipline this month. My exam authorization has my middle and last names again. I am concerned that I'll have issues (paranoia, I know).

Has anyone had problems with this?

I plan to call NCEES tomorrow.
Here's what is stated in their examinee guide on the ncees website.

To avoid delays at the exam site, verify that
the first and last names printed on the exam
authorization match your first and last names
as they appear on the government-issued ID
that you will use during the check-in process on
exam day.
Seems pretty straightforward to me. The name you registered with them needs to match the name on the ID you're planning to use.

Last edited by a moderator:
If someone on here said this was no problem, would you believe them? It would be best to call NCEES.

For posterity:

I called. She emailed me another authorization with my first name. I imagine this could be a mess if you are from some place that uses the first name as the surname, etc.

Back