Speeding up time to solve problems

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

adamn185 PE

Reaction score
Hey all, anyone have any tips as far as picking up the pace while solving problems? I usually do ok but find most problems I have worked in my prep class have taken longer than 6 minutes on average. I still have 2 practice exams to take before the 17th but am a bit concerned about running out of time with 6 minutes on average.

Any and all advice appreciated! Thanks in advance.

Mainly 6 minute solutions and practice problems that accompany the CERM (chemical). Still have PPI practice exam and NCEES practice exam to go. Thanks!

For Civil, the "6 minute solution" problems are more like 30 minute solutions. Also, with the prep class that I just completed, many of the problems covered multiply concepts at once and also took more than 6 minutes to complete.

The NCEES practice exam, however, should take on average 6 min per problem. But it's an average, some may take 30 sec, other may take 10min. In my opinion, the best way to pick up the speed is to do lots of problems so you're familiar with and can recognize what is being asked. Also, make sure you don't neglect your units. Even though writing the units down takes an extra second, it could be the difference between getting the right answer or not.

The SMS generally aren't really six minute problems until you've worked them multiple times. My first couple times through the SMS I was no where near that six minute mark.

As others have stated, the best way to improve your time per problem is to work as many problems as possible so that you understand what is being asked and the way to solve it.

I can't stress the importance of writing units enough. Yes it takes a few seconds more but not only is it an obvious check on your answer, it also is a good way to save yourself time if you skip that problem and return to it. Writing your process down somewhat neatly ties into this. No one is saying to spend time practicing penmanship but you should work the problems neatly enough so that when you check your solutions you can easily follow your thought process.

I think some problems do take longer than 6 min but some problems you literally spent 30 sec and you have the answer. If you need to spend more than 2 min without any progress, marked it down and move on. Come back to it later. Don't get hung up on one question.

Grinding, practice and understanding the stuff and where to find tables etc if you key

I think some problems do take longer than 6 min but some problems you literally spent 30 sec and you have the answer. If you need to spend more than 2 min without any progress, marked it down and move on. Come back to it later. Don't get hung up on one question.

Grinding, practice and understanding the stuff and where to find tables etc if you key

That's key IMHO.

Good points. Understand that six minutes per problem is on average. There might be a problem that takes 10 minutes but will be averaged out by others that may take less than a minute.

Knowing and understanding your references will save you a lot of time.

I took the chemical exam last October (and passed). One piece of advice that is somewhat counter intuitive for a timed exam: take the time to thoroughly read the problem, and understand what is being asked; then, all your preparation work in understanding/applying concepts and working problems will (or should) kick in and help you focus on the relevant information and correct approach to solve the problem efficiently. Good luck on the exam!

That's key IMHO.
If you do decide to move on, be sure to take some simple notes (reference & page number) so that when you come back you don't have to waste time searching for the equations/thought processes again.

I took the chemical exam last October (and passed). One piece of advice that is somewhat counter intuitive for a timed exam: take the time to thoroughly read the problem, and understand what is being asked; then, all your preparation work in understanding/applying concepts and working problems will (or should) kick in and help you focus on the relevant information and correct approach to solve the problem efficiently. Good luck on the exam!
Hey thanks for the advice - how did you think the exam was difficulty wise compared to sample exams and content. I took the ppi course (or am about to finish it, rather) and would love to hear any feedback.

Thanks to all of you for the advice. Do you think the "3 pass system" is worth it or did you just work through them sequentially?

You're opening a can of worms. Some of us used the three pass/ranking system and swear by it. Personally I worked through the exam sequentially and only skipped a couple that I got stuck on.

As I stated above, I was fairly meticulous on writing down my work/thought process so when I returned to those problems I picked up right where I left off. I was able to finish with well over an hour left each session using this method.

You're opening a can of worms. Some of us used the three pass/ranking system and swear by it. Personally I worked through the exam sequentially and only skipped a couple that I got stuck on.

As I stated above, I was fairly meticulous on writing down my work/thought process so when I returned to those problems I picked up right where I left off. I was able to finish with well over an hour left each session using this method.
Don't even know there is a system lol

Just do what you feel comfortable i think, no point forcing yourself into some system that may or may not work with you since you are not familiar with it. By now, we all took enough **** tests ( i hate taking tests), you should know the pattern, struggle and whatever help you

I went straight through, if I got hung up or knew I didn't know it, I would move on. I then came back and did the work on the ones I had skipped. I had to guess on several at the end of each session. I passed, so either the work I did do was really good, or I am a master of randomness.

I swear by the 3-pass system. I got all the low-hanging fruit, solved the ones I knew how to do, and then had an hour or more left to attempt the ones I knew would be hard. That way I didn't get hung up on anything and accidentally waste too much time.

I know some people worry about messing up the order of their answers on their scantron, but honestly, on a test this important, I would be double-checking which question I was answering no matter what.

I went straight through, if I got hung up or knew I didn't know it, I would move on. I then came back and did the work on the ones I had skipped. I had to guess on several at the end of each session. I passed, so either the work I did do was really good, or I am a master of randomness.
same here..ram through then come back later

Sometimes I work backwards as well on different tests..i m weird!

Hey thanks for the advice - how did you think the exam was difficulty wise compared to sample exams and content. I took the ppi course (or am about to finish it, rather) and would love to hear any feedback.
In general, I thought most of the available sample exams and the PPI 6-minute solutions were more difficult than the actual test; the added difficulty of the practice exams definitely helped in preparation. I took the environmental exam several years ago, and thought the chem exam was easier overall. One tip (that has been repeated several time) is know your references and where information is in them. Do not bring any reference that you haven't used in you preparation (it will just take up space on the table or floor). Good luck on the exam!

Back