Pavement Sample Questions

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MGSmith519

Reaction score
I know that the 3 most important Transportation Reference Books are the 2010 HCM, 2011 AASHTO GDHS (Green Book), and the 2009 MUTCD, and that these will answer many questions for the afternoon session. I recently was able to obtain the 1993 AASHTO Guide for Design of Pavement Structures with the 1998 supplement, and the 2008 AASHTO MEPDG, so now I have all 3 pavement reference books (and 9 total of the 11 listed, not having the AI or the PCA books).

I have now finished tabbing, highlighting, and underlining all of my reference books, and I have many tabs, highlights, and underlines in all of my books besides these 3 pavement books. It was difficult for me to skim through them, not knowing much about pavement, and I had no clue what would be of importance on the exam. I see that 4 of the 40 afternoon questions will be on Geotechnical and Pavement.

Can someone (and hopefully many people) post some sample questions on this thread concerning Pavement, and also maybe list the Tables/Figures/Equations that are of major importance from these 3 reference books? Once again, I know that it is a minor topic, but every point counts towards a passing score, and I would hate to miss 1 or 2 questions if they could have been answered correctly by simply having a tab or two on these books.

Thank you all in advance.

[SIZE=10.5pt]I (like many Transpo depth takers) took the exam without these pavement books. I coincidentally obtained a few since passing and can’t say that I wish I had them during the exam. It’s my belief that you’ll be just fine with the CERM if you know the rigid and flexible pavement sections pretty well. There is also a little bit of useful stuff in the free NCEES Reference Handbook. [/SIZE]

[SIZE=10.5pt]Know how to solve for the Structural Number (SN). Required structrural depth for AC or PCC. Know about PCC admixtures. AC and PCC material contents and proportions. Cure time/strength. AC and PCC properties/characteristics/uses. Maybe ESALs. [/SIZE]

[SIZE=10.5pt]Good luck.[/SIZE]

http://engineerboards.com/index.php?showtopic=23244

In all of my prep I have yet to open a pavement book (I have them all). Hoping that by taking them I'll get a lookup out of one of them or something.

Thanks for those suggestions ptato, I'm going to tab those few things for sure.

Unfortunately I have had the opportunity to take the exam twice and it will be my 3rd next month. The pavement questions have been fairly easy. Until this year the only one I had was the PCA. I had one that I found the answer in the PCA. I do not know how different the new book is, but you can get the last edition really cheap or there may have been a pdf I found one time. There has been an ESAL question, Strength Number question, and I recall a properties like question. I have not looked through any of the pavement books. The only tabbing I have done is tab the chapters.

Back