PE Structural Depth "Cheat Sheet"?

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Swimfastalex PE

Reaction score
Did anyone create a "Cheat Sheet" for the PE Structural Depth. A sheet that you can look at, in case you get stuck, and be like "oh" here are the steps to solve this problem? I was trying to create one, but it just seems like there is so much information, that I don't know where to start.

I was thinking along the lines of, if given X, Y and Z for steel design, go to ____ in the reference. You know something along those lines.

i didn't create a cheat sheet but i did a few things that were really helpful and sort of acted as quasi-cheat-sheets:

1) i strategically tabbed the CERM and Steel Construction Manual. i flagged sections i thought would come in handy on the test for example "ACI Load Combinations" in the CERM and "Beam Moment vs Unbraced Length" in the Steel Construction Manual. i had quite a few of these tabs.

2) if i thought there was a high probability of a problem appearing on the test, and it was particularly tricky, i wrote out steps and formulas on the last page of the CERM chapter (where there's usually some left over white space). for example i wrote out the calculation of the gross MOI of a two-way slab. the geometry of this was tough for me to visualize so i drew a diagram and an example calculation on the last page of the chapter.

3) on the last blank page of the CERM in the back of the book, i wrote out a quick index of the things i did for step 2) above. for example "two-way slab MOI: p.51-8"

hope this helps.

Last edited by a moderator:
The short summary of Struct Design (ACI 318 and AISC SCM) that appears in the FE Reference Handbook is pretty well put together

Thanks that did help. I'm thinking of creating maybe a guideline at least, in case I do come across a brain freeze. It seems as there is so much for Structures PM, who knows what they will ask really. But thanks. Any help, any experience, any suggestions, etc. anything you can share will help me. I'm the nervous type when taking exams, even though I always end up doing fine. I'm the one who thinks that I did something wrong because the test was too easy. So whatever you have to say will help me. The exam is a little over a month away.

What reference material are you taking with you for the exam? Will you bring all the codes?

I'm bringing all the codes listed on NCEES's website, all 9 or so of them. I'm going to bring the CERM, a Reinforced Concrete Design Book and a Steel Design book. I think that's about it though, maybe a wood design book.

I'm bringing all the codes listed on NCEES's website, all 9 or so of them. I'm going to bring the CERM, a Reinforced Concrete Design Book and a Steel Design book. I think that's about it though, maybe a wood design book.
Will you bring any reference material for the other sections? Are you going to bring an equation sheet?

Will you bring any reference material for the other sections? Are you going to bring an equation sheet?
It seems as the CERM has all the information I would need for the other sections. I could be wrong, this is the first time I am taken it. I was thinking of bringing an equation sheet but I honestly had no clue where to start. There is a lot of information . Any suggestions on an equation sheet?

Yeah, I am wondering if it is worth bringing the AASHTO

I'm bringing the AASHTO LRFD Bridge Design but not the AASHTO Green Book (the one for highway). From what I understand, and from what I have heard, they won't ask questions that you would need those references for, just basic questions that the CERM would have. But again first time taking it, so don't take my word.

i didn't take AASHTO bridge design because a) it's a monster 1600 pages and b) i wasn't familiar with it (i'm still not) so i figured why bother. wish i would have though because if i recall correctly there were one or two questions that i thought "man if i had brought AASHTO i could probably look up the answer".

I'm going to take the AASHTO Bridge Design with me because we have a printed copy of it and because that's what I use every day. Anyone have suggestions on an equation sheet or an example?

I am a repeat structural pm taker. I will be taking again this April. I have made an equation sheet for this exam pertaining to structures pm topics I don't do on a regular basis with my job. Aside from that I have worked at least 3-4 different types of problems for each subject listed in the NCEES topic breakdown for Structures afternoon. I have the different sections tabbed out in a three ring binder. Above every problem I write 3-4 words in bold red describing what the problem is for quick reference. For me at least, my problem in the structures afternoon has been time management. It's so broad. Anyhow hope this helps.

I am a repeat structural pm taker. I will be taking again this April. I have made an equation sheet for this exam pertaining to structures pm topics I don't do on a regular basis with my job. Aside from that I have worked at least 3-4 different types of problems for each subject listed in the NCEES topic breakdown for Structures afternoon. I have the different sections tabbed out in a three ring binder. Above every problem I write 3-4 words in bold red describing what the problem is for quick reference. For me at least, my problem in the structures afternoon has been time management. It's so broad. Anyhow hope this helps.
What reference material did you take? Are you planning to bring anything new this time?

For the structural afternoon I took all of the codes listed by NCEES. If you have AASHTO bring it. Read and tab the sections on their load combinations, wheel load criteria (H20, etc). There may be easy points to pick up if you have this and are familiar with it. I also brought PCI, AISC design examples, materials/mechanics book, and CRSI.

The only new thing I am bringing different is the notebook I made of several types of worked out problems from each section listed in the afternoon topics. All of my solutions reference the applicable code sections. I am in NC so the new code change for the spring 15 exam has been a challenge. NC hasn't adopted the new codes yet so in my day to day I use all of the previous codes. Phi and omega factors have changed as well wind analysis in ASCE 7.

My strategy has been to shoot for 35 out of 40 minimum in the morning. The questions are easier and don't go to in depth in the other topics. This gives a little wiggle room for the afternoon bc it is so broad. They can pull the 40 afternoon questions from so many places, and like others have pointed out, they seem to enjoy having quite a few random/abstract code questions that nobody uses or knows.

For the structural afternoon I took all of the codes listed by NCEES. If you have AASHTO bring it. Read and tab the sections on their load combinations, wheel load criteria (H20, etc). There may be easy points to pick up if you have this and are familiar with it. I also brought PCI, AISC design examples, materials/mechanics book, and CRSI.

The only new thing I am bringing different is the notebook I made of several types of worked out problems from each section listed in the afternoon topics. All of my solutions reference the applicable code sections. I am in NC so the new code change for the spring 15 exam has been a challenge. NC hasn't adopted the new codes yet so in my day to day I use all of the previous codes. Phi and omega factors have changed as well wind analysis in ASCE 7.

My strategy has been to shoot for 35 out of 40 minimum in the morning. The questions are easier and don't go to in depth in the other topics. This gives a little wiggle room for the afternoon bc it is so broad. They can pull the 40 afternoon questions from so many places, and like others have pointed out, they seem to enjoy having quite a few random/abstract code questions that nobody uses or knows.

What type of worked out problems, if I may ask? I agree, from the syllabus there are so many places they can choose from, so I feel like that notebook could be endless really.

Also, where the questions really "6 minutes long" for the afternoon. Or is there a chance they could be more complicated. I'm just trying to figure out how deep into these questions I need to study.

Some question will be quick and others will be longer than six minutes. That's the typical way the exam is designed from my experience and others. A good technique that others have mentioned is to go through it one time solving all the easiest first, then back through solving the middle of the road problems, saving the hardest for last. This makes sense from a time saving perspective.

Did anyone do the NCEES Practice Exam? Those questions in the practice exam for both AM and PM, are those sort of questions going to be asked on the exam day?

Did anyone do the NCEES Practice Exam? Those questions in the practice exam for both AM and PM, are those sort of questions going to be asked on the exam day?

For the most part, yes. The word and engineering judgement problems weren't as easy on the exam in October, but I thought the design problems were comparable. One thing to keep an eye on while doing practice problems is the "gotchas". I remember the 2011 NCEES practice exam had a question about seismic design category and lateral force. The problem gave dead, live, snow, etc loads. Because it was seismic design category A, you only consider the dead load when you calculate the seismic lateral force. Structural engineers who work in seismic areas may already be familiar with this clause but I wasn't until I saw the practice problem. So remember to read the footnotes that typically don't apply because on the exam it probably will.

Back