What's on your FORMULA SHEET?

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

oolongt

Reaction score
Just over 1month away til the APRIL 2015 exam!

What did you include on your FORMULA SHEET???

(List topics and/or specific formulas.)

For those who took the exam, what formulas were a must-have, a maybe-have, and a mute point-have?! Any insight is valued!

Thanks!

Just don't be too specific on the must have formulas.

Do you have Alex graffeos book? It's a good starting point for formulas just add your own as you study

I don't think it's so much about having a formula sheet as it is having the correct formulas in the right sections.

For example, a short circuit MVA question pops up. You need to know to go to a certain book/binder/section, then have all the possible revelant information written THERE.

I think the single handwritten sheet/binder is a mistake, instead include everything in one reference spot. Just make sure you know where to look.

Last edited by a moderator:
I am using graffeo as my go to formula sheet/book. Every time I encounter a problem that I couldn't do using Graffeos, I write the equation and reference where it came from in its respective section of graffeo. I also have a binder with specific information for the theorical questions.

I am using graffeo as my go to formula sheet/book. Every time I encounter a problem that I couldn't do using Graffeos, I write the equation and reference where it came from in its respective section of graffeo. I also have a binder with specific information for the theorical questions.

This. I am doing the exact same thing.

I've referenced Graffeo a lot when I did all of the practice exams. I'm almost finished reading through the Graffeo book and tabbing it.

I also have a binder with my own notes. Each page is a different topic. If I couldn't answer a practice exam question using Graffeo or Camara, I write it on my notes in the respective topic. Then behind all of my notes I have tabs for various topics of publications/articles that I have highlighted.

I see a lot of people referencing the Graffeo book. After getting every OTHER talked-about resource for the Electrical PE, I wasn't sure if this one was needed, but now you've made me wonder! Of the Camara book, School of PE notes, PPI notes, Spin-up problems sets, and ALL (4) Complex Imaginary practice exams, plus my own notes, is Graffeo a must have? ... At this point, what's another $100, eh! =)

Thanks!

Graffeo book is just where I started. It has a lot of info in it and goes through the topics per the NCEES syllabus. I've got a lot of reference material and Graffeo is a great one to have.

I'm not familiar with school of PE notes or PPI notes, but Graffeo is a really good reference. Camara is a backup reference for me. I prefer Camara for lighting equations and interest tables, but it is really dense. Graffeo is easy to familiarize yourself with in a short time.

I need to start reviewing Wildi...

I have my one note book tabbed with all the area of study base on the NCEES outline with different topic base related to the NCEES sample test, spin, CI and Graffeo sample test. Then I have one note book I call my theory section which I put the different topics and theory on them broken down for quick understanding. and I definitely have Graffeo as a reference all tab up along with the NEC book, Grainger and Yamayee . I have Camera book but I only took certain topic from it and place them in my reference notes mainly the lightning section. I have Wildi but It seem that all the stuff I need was cover in previous books so I didn’t want to have a entire library because I feel you have to get to source quick so really compressed my notes . And continue to keep drilling on the practice exam over and over again trying to breakdown what if they ask it this way or ask that way I hope I’m on the right path.

I see a lot of people referencing the Graffeo book. After getting every OTHER talked-about resource for the Electrical PE, I wasn't sure if this one was needed, but now you've made me wonder! Of the Camara book, School of PE notes, PPI notes, Spin-up problems sets, and ALL (4) Complex Imaginary practice exams, plus my own notes, is Graffeo a must have? ... At this point, what's another $100, eh! =)

Thanks!
$100 now or 3 months of studying plus a few hundred $$$ more later.

I have been using the Graffeo book almost exclusively the past month (on page 150 or so, doing a MWFS 3-4 hour/day schedule) and I believe it is quite good. It is an excellent place to start when you have alot of reference material and don't know where to start... I use that along with looking up some things in the Wildi/Glover power books and getting familiar with the NEC problems and the NEC code drill book. I have tabbed the Graffeo formula sheets and made up my own from the the Glover/Sarma and the Wildi books.

When I do the all 4 of the CI exams (starting maybe next week) I will be using my reference materials and my combined formula sheets from Graffeo/NEC/Wildi/Glover&Sarma and any other problems on the practice exams that I have that aren't currently on my formula sheet. It is definitely a work-in-progress...

Does anyone have a good recommendation on what to do after you finish all of the practice tests?

I am doing a lot of theory now, but still want to keep doing problems. My second time through the NCEES and CI, I only missed a few because I took notes on formulas and theory for the ones I missed the first time.

i got my CI exams 10 days ago and finished them all yesterday. I've started my second round of NCEES questions today and did the first 40. I didn't expect to be going through these so fast. I have a PPI book with like 500+ questions but I'm not doing them they aren't relevant. I do need to do the PPI practice exams and the Graffeo one. Roughly a month to go.

Does anyone have a good recommendation on what to do after you finish all of the practice tests?

I am doing a lot of theory now, but still want to keep doing problems. My second time through the NCEES and CI, I only missed a few because I took notes on formulas and theory for the ones I missed the first time.

I've done 3 rounds of the CI exams, 3 rounds of the NCEES exam, 1 time taking the Graffeo practice exam, 1 time taking all five Spin-Up exams, 160 problems worth from the CI NEC Drillbook.

I plan on doing the NCEES exam at least one more time. Other than that, I think I'm ready to go. I am comfortable with all my references and they are tabbed up, highlighted, noted, and organized.

I would recommend doing the practice exams again. There are enough problems between rounds that I don't really remember the answer off the top of my head. So it's like doing a new problem each time. I've been getting better and better between rounds. Scoring in the 87% range.

I've done 3 rounds of the CI exams, 3 rounds of the NCEES exam, 1 time taking the Graffeo practice exam, 1 time taking all five Spin-Up exams, 160 problems worth from the CI NEC Drillbook.

I plan on doing the NCEES exam at least one more time. Other than that, I think I'm ready to go. I am comfortable with all my references and they are tabbed up, highlighted, noted, and organized.

I would recommend doing the practice exams again. There are enough problems between rounds that I don't really remember the answer off the top of my head. So it's like doing a new problem each time. I've been getting better and better between rounds. Scoring in the 87% range.
great u are doing really good. i am also doing sample papers, CI, NCEES, Spin up and graffeo. now till 31 march i will focus on transformer and ac dc mother generators.

Organize your notes, formulas, references, etc. Take an hour to relax and then go through the stuff you struggled with and read up on it.

I have decided the best advice on the board is in this thread. My experience with the civil PE was that I needed a voluminous amount of knowledge, many hours or study, and concise resources.

This thread seems to summarize what we need for power. I just ordered Graffeo. To not do so would have been a mistake. I sounds like Graffeo is what Camara should be.

Back