Application Question for CA Appilication regarding references

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nightwing

Reaction score
First time on the forum, it was recommended.

For the Civil PE Exam I know one reference of the four references needs to be one of your licensed supervisor for each engagement. If I have one engagement and need two years qualifying experience of work based on the flowchart and my current licensed supervisor has reviewed my work and supervised for the last 19 months, would he count as the supervising reference and this be sufficient for the supervisor part? Then my other three references could be my colleagues and peers who are licensed have reviewed my work for the last three years. Would this qualify me?

i believe reference criteria varies from state to state. best thing to do would be to call your state board.

It is 5 months not covered by who is overseeing your work. Get it to your previous PE supervisor...not worth to risk it if you don't have to

For the Civil PE Exam I know one reference of the four references needs to be one of your licensed supervisor for each engagement. If I have one engagement and need two years qualifying experience of work based on the flowchart and my current licensed supervisor has reviewed my work and supervised for the last 19 months, would he count as the supervising reference and this be sufficient for the supervisor part? Then my other three references could be my colleagues and peers who are licensed have reviewed my work for the last three years. Would this qualify me?
[SIZE=10.5pt]Question. I am also applying for the CA P.E. I am applying In Mechanical tough. I also only have one engagement that has been supervised the whole time by the same P.E. [/SIZE]

[SIZE=10.5pt]Are you planning on listing all your engagement tasks and basically having the same letter four times? (Just signed by four different people)[/SIZE]

[SIZE=10.5pt]Or are you breaking down your tasks into four parts? And therefore having four different letters, signed by four different people. [/SIZE]

[SIZE=10.5pt]Hope you understood that :unsure: [/SIZE]

[SIZE=10.5pt]I'm just confused as to how I should list all my tasks, since I only have 1 engagement. Thanks!![/SIZE]

To piggy back on this topic, has anyone used the exempt employee exception? The exception is that if you work in an industry that manufacture products for the department of defense, your supervisor that signs off on your experience doesnt have to be licensed. Can anyone shed some light on this?

Here's what happened to me. I used as one of my references a "co-worker of equal level" (or however the board terms it) and they gave me credit as him being one of my 4 needed references but none of the time under this reference counted toward my required time. Only time under a supervisor counts as experience time. Does that make sense? But check with your evaluator to be sure.

Here's what happened to me. I used as one of my references a "co-worker of equal level" (or however the board terms it) and they gave me credit as him being one of my 4 needed references but none of the time under this reference counted toward my required time. Only time under a supervisor counts as experience time. Does that make sense? But check with your evaluator to be sure.
Thanks. When did you apply? Do all the evaluators have the same criterial?

My app was around 2009/2010. I'd recommend you contact your evaluator.

First time on the forum, it was recommended.For the Civil PE Exam I know one reference of the four references needs to be one of your licensed supervisor for each engagement. If I have one engagement and need two years qualifying experience of work based on the flowchart and my current licensed supervisor has reviewed my work and supervised for the last 19 months, would he count as the supervising reference and this be sufficient for the supervisor part? Then my other three references could be my colleagues and peers who are licensed have reviewed my work for the last three years. Would this qualify me?
My app was around 2009/2010. I'd recommend you contact your evaluator.
Both my friend and I both contacted our evaluaters. One evaluater stated only time under the supervisor counts as the experience and the other evaluator says a supervisor needs to be part of the engagement. If anyone else has heard anything please let us know. How can two evaluators have different criterias.

ALL claimed work experience needs to have been performed under the direction of an individual licensed in the practice that you are applying for. If ALL your claimed experience can be claimed under 1 or 2 of your engagement forms, then the other 2 or 3 engagement/reference forms can be completed by other licensees that are familiar with your experience but do not necessarily have to have been in responsible charge of the claimed experience.

For example, if you worked for one firm your entire experience and there are multiple licensees at the firm, you could have the licensee in responsible charge complete engagement 1, copy this engagement as engagement 2, 3, and 4, each with different licensed coworkers signing. Or you can split the time. Either way, make sure you communicate it very clearly in the engagements.

Hope this helps clear it up for you

ALL claimed work experience needs to have been performed under the direction of an individual licensed in the practice that you are applying for. If ALL your claimed experience can be claimed under 1 or 2 of your engagement forms, then the other 2 or 3 engagement/reference forms can be completed by other licensees that are familiar with your experience but do not necessarily have to have been in responsible charge of the claimed experience.

For example, if you worked for one firm your entire experience and there are multiple licensees at the firm, you could have the licensee in responsible charge complete engagement 1, copy this engagement as engagement 2, 3, and 4, each with different licensed coworkers signing. Or you can split the time. Either way, make sure you communicate it very clearly in the engagements.

Ric, I was with you on paragraph 1 and then you lost me with paragraph 2. That is not how I remembered it at all. I remember the instructions being very specific on what one engagement is. So, I looked it up. This is what the application says:

List your engagements below in reverse chronological order beginning at graduation. Leave no gaps in the list. If you were not employed in the engineering field, you must still list the dates and explain in the Remarks section. Your present engagement is No. 1. An engagement is one association, with one employer, in one capacity, at one level of responsibility. A change in engagement is a new employer, a promotion, or a significant change in duties, authority, responsibility, etc. Different projects in the same capacity for one employer are not considered separate engagements. Explain any overlaps in employment dates.

The way I read it, a copy and paste of engagement #1 won't do for #s 2 - 4. Each engagement must be uniquely different. Am I reading it incorrectly?

http://www.bpelsg.ca.gov/pubs/forms/ceapp.pdf

http://www.bpelsg.ca.gov/applicants/civilpe_errf_instructions_2010.pdf

http://www.bpelsg.ca.gov/applicants/faq_eng.pdf

Last edited by a moderator:

Each of the evaluators have a different interpretation of this. Just call each of them and they say different things. I want to confirm that if a supervisor can claim part of an engagement, and other co-workers can claim the other parts can the entire engagement be used as experience for the exam? My friends have talked to different evaluators and each says a different answer to the engagement and supervisor issue.

Ric, I was with you on paragraph 1 and then you lost me with paragraph 2. That is not how I remembered it at all. I remember the instructions being very specific on what one engagement is. So, I looked it up. This is what the application says:

List your engagements below in reverse chronological order beginning at graduation. Leave no gaps in the list. If you were not employed in the engineering field, you must still list the dates and explain in the Remarks section. Your present engagement is No. 1. An engagement is one association, with one employer, in one capacity, at one level of responsibility. A change in engagement is a new employer, a promotion, or a significant change in duties, authority, responsibility, etc. Different projects in the same capacity for one employer are not considered separate engagements. Explain any overlaps in employment dates.

The way I read it, a copy and paste of engagement #1 won't do for #s 2 - 4. Each engagement must be uniquely different. Am I reading it incorrectly?

I could not find anything that clearly states a supervisor has to review and verify the entire engagement for it to count.

I could not find anything that clearly states a supervisor has to review and verify the entire engagement for it to count.
It has been said in this thread by me and by CAPLS that it does not. And it is clearly in the second link I provided above.

References can come from any of the listed below, but are generally considered in the following descending order of significance:

1) Immediate supervisor;

2) Indirect supervisor;

3) Co-worker at equal or higher level; and,

4) Other qualified person.

It has been said in this thread by me and by CAPLS that it does not. And it is clearly in the second link I provided above.

References can come from any of the listed below, but are generally considered in the following descending order of significance:

1) Immediate supervisor;

2) Indirect supervisor;

So can you please help clariy this

"[SIZE=11pt]All civil engineering work experience must be gained while working under the direction of a licensed Civil Engineer."[/SIZE]

"[SIZE=11pt]For civil engineering work experience which was gained in California or any other place where such work is required to be under the jurisdiction of a licensed civil engineer, at least one of the applicants licensed references must be from someone who is or was in a supervisory capacity over the applicant, for each engagement for which the applicant desires credit. An engagement not verified by a licensed civil engineer supervisor will be considered as either non-civil engineering experience, or illegal civil engineering experience, and in either case it will not be acceptable."[/SIZE]

[SIZE=11pt]So based on my understanding:[/SIZE]

[SIZE=11pt]An application needs to have a supervisor or someone in supervisor capacity verifying each engagment. That supervisor does not need to verify the whole enaggement just part of it. Do you think that is correct?[/SIZE]

I believe it is simpler than you are trying to make it. All work experience, whether that experience is claimed on one engagement or across multiple engagement forms, require supervision by a licensed engineer in the discipline that the applicant is applying for.

You could have one engagement that covers the entire 72 required months and the others are licensed coworkers in the same firm that are familiar with your experience during the same time.

You could have two engagements that split the required 72 months and the other two are licensed references that are familiar with your experience.

Ric,

It would be great if you could address post #13 directly. Myself, and I'm sure others would like to know.

1) Immediate supervisor;

2) Indirect supervisor;

So can you please help clariy this

"[SIZE=11pt]All civil engineering work experience must be gained while working under the direction of a licensed Civil Engineer."[/SIZE]

"[SIZE=11pt]For civil engineering work experience which was gained in California or any other place where such work is required to be under the jurisdiction of a licensed civil engineer, at least one of the applicants licensed references must be from someone who is or was in a supervisory capacity over the applicant, for each engagement for which the applicant desires credit. An engagement not verified by a licensed civil engineer supervisor will be considered as either non-civil engineering experience, or illegal civil engineering experience, and in either case it will not be acceptable."[/SIZE]

[SIZE=11pt]So based on my understanding:[/SIZE]

[SIZE=11pt]An application needs to have a supervisor or someone in supervisor capacity verifying each engagment. That supervisor does not need to verify the whole enaggement just part of it. Do you think that is correct?[/SIZE]

I thought I was pretty clear in my post #6. You need 72 months of experience under a PE. But 48 of that can be substituted with a 4yr degree, leaving 24 months needed under a PE. And you need 4 references. Only time under a PE counts toward your 24 months. But other PEs who your didn't necessarily work under can count toward your references. I hope this is clear.

Back