I almost solved the NCEES Pencil Color Equation! ..... but not quite - Page 5 - Anything about the PE Exam - Engineer Boards
Engineer Boards
Sign in to follow this  
ptatohed

I almost solved the NCEES Pencil Color Equation! ..... but not quite

6 minutes ago, Ramnares P.E. said:

What kind of BS is that?  Everyone takes the pencil.  Also, just because I'm a grumpy "old" man I hate the new pencil design.  They should go back to the old style.

Agree, agree, super agree. totally agree

6 minutes ago, Ramnares P.E. said:

They should go back to the old style.

FWIW, there are only six more P&P PE exam sessions.

Eight more if you include SE, and believe that they'll ever figure out how to make that a CBT test.

1 minute ago, RBHeadge PE said:

Eight more if you include SE, and believe that they'll ever figure out how to make that a CBT test.

😂

On 10/26/2019 at 1:15 PM, pse19622 said:

Was a darn good pencil. Asked the proctor yesterday when I finished if I could keep it lol he said sorry but no and just sort of chuckled. 

Can't comment on feel/writing as I did not take the exam, but look wise thats a pretty sexy pencil.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, youngmotivatedengineer said:

Can't comment on feel/writing as I did not take the exam, but look wise thats a pretty sexy pencil.

if you took it in April 2019, it's the same as the orange one

• Like 1

On 10/26/2019 at 9:30 AM, RBHeadge PE said:

Is anyone else suspicious that @tj_PE's nail's always match the pencils?

@ptatohed may be if you solve the @tj_PE nail color equation, you can solve this.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, tj_PE said:

also depending where you live I can send you one if you really want it. lol

Lol no it's ok. Hopefully I pass and get one of those cool frames with the NCEES pencil inside!

1 minute ago, pse19622 said:

Lol no it's ok. Hopefully I pass and get one of those cool frames with the NCEES pencil inside!

wait they sell the frames with the pencils? I think those are custom made with the pencils you take from the exam?

15 minutes ago, pse19622 said:

they're custom made

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, tj_PE said:

wait they sell the frames with the pencils? I think those are custom made with the pencils you take from the exam?

They are custom-made indeed, I have one at my desk....Aaron Brothers (Michael's) did a great job by the way.

50 minutes ago, tj_PE said:

Guess I'm SOL then. I shouldn't be worrying about the frame yet anyway...don't even know whether I passed lol.

Also, this pencil eraser was WAAAY better than the POS side click of April 2018. Squaretaper approved. *erasing furiously*

• Like 2

3 hours ago, pse19622 said:

So I would've needed to keep my pencli... 😢

I SAID I HAVE ONE WITH YOUR NAME ON IT GOSH

3 hours ago, pse19622 said:

So I would've needed to keep my pencli... 😢

9 minutes ago, tj_PE said:

I SAID I HAVE ONE WITH YOUR NAME ON IT GOSH

@pse19622 People trade, give, sell pencils on this board all the time.

• Like 1

On 10/28/2019 at 10:13 AM, NikR said:

@ptatohed may be if you solve the @tj_PE nail color equation, you can solve this.

LOL, I think my half-baked color prediction theory is 100% out the window now!  Purple?!  😮

I need to work on a new prediction theory it seems.....

But that's the beauty of science (vs. religion), right?  When new data comes along that is counter to what you previously thought, you toss out the old belief and use the new data to work on a new theory.  :)  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ptatohed said:

LOL, I think my half-baked color prediction theory is 100% out the window now!  Purple?!  😮

I need to work on a new prediction theory it seems.....

But that's the beauty of science (vs. religion), right?  When new data comes along that is counter to what you previously thought, you toss out the old belief and use the new data to work on a new theory.  :)  

The funny thing about the science v. religion debate in this context is that we definitely know that there's a single entity, more powerful than any of us, that has complete knowledge of and power over the pencil color selection... I can't necessarily say that they're benevolent, though. 😂

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

38 minutes ago, jean15paul_PE said:

My pencil theory. A color is chosen arbitrarily; it must be different from the last 2 colors.

I'm inclined to agree. It wouldn't surprise me at all if they just have the office manager select it out of a mass-office supply catalogue with the above restriction.

Alternate theory: maybe that same office supply manager emails @tj_PE six weeks out and asks "so uhh... what color are you painting your nails next month"?.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, jean15paul_PE said:

My pencil theory. A color is chosen arbitrarily; it must be different from the last 2 colors.

I thought that colors also varied by exam site. I vaguely remember during Oct 2018 exam, some people reported using a color other than green (can remember), while I had green. 

1 minute ago, NikR said:

I thought that colors also varied by exam site. I vaguely remember during Oct 2018 exam, some people reported using a color other than green (can remember), while I had green. 

Mine was blue