I almost solved the NCEES Pencil Color Equation! ..... but not quite

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ptatohed

Licenced to Spell
Reaction score
I was going through my beloved NCEES pencil collection when I noticed a pattern. I really thought I was on to something. By studying the year/month/color patterns, I theorized the following "NCEES Pencil Color Formula":

April of an Odd Year = Blue

October of an Odd Year = Red

April of an Even Year = Black

October of an Even Year = Green

I was feeling really, really good about my theory and it checked out repeatedly...... until I found a lone Blue April 2010 pencil in my stash. :( Doh!

But, hey, I was close! ;)

PS. Does your pencil(s) fit the formula?

Last edited by a moderator:
I have April 2012 and it's black. I'm pretty sure my FE pencil was green and that was April 2007, but I don't have one handy to check. Anyone else take that exam?

April 13 is blue, but I have an October 09 that is black. :(

April 06 was red (I think) - I was seeing red after the exam and threw my pencil in the trash....why did I do that? :brickwall:

April 12 was black

April 13 was blue

April 14 was black

2014 April - Black

2013 Oct - red...

so you are correct so far...but how many pencils you have

My theory is the NCEES uses whatever color is shipped to them from China.
Amateur, all professional NCEES pencil connoisseurs (eh-hem, such as myself) know that the genuine NCEES pencil comes from nowhere but France. :p

2014 April - Black

2013 Oct - red...

so you are correct so far...but how many pencils you have
wire, this is information that will be divulged when the moment is right. Patience young grasshopper. ;)

April 06 was red (I think) - I was seeing red after the exam and threw my pencil in the trash....why did I do that? :brickwall:

April 12 was black

April 13 was blue

April 14 was black

My quess is blue for April 15, blue always following black, so the color sequence is how we feel after the exam "black & blue".

Back