FE CBT RESULT DIAGNOSTIC - The FE Exam - Engineer Boards
Engineer Boards
Sign in to follow this  
FETEST

FE CBT RESULT DIAGNOSTIC

I am wondering if anyone would post their diagnostic.

I took the FE CIVIL CBT and failed.

I am studying to pass my next time. But i'm curious about my results. Do i need to get the "average" mark in every field. I had the probably and statistics that was 0/4 passed. Everything else was above or below.

Has anyone else gotten higher scores and above average in several areas and still failed?

I'm posting my result

post-29606-0-61318500-1421867083_thumb.p

Do i need to get the "average" mark in every field?

Nope.

Ideally, you want to be average or better in every category to pass, but that's not really feasible. Pick the subjects that count the most (ie Statics, Math, Geotech, H&H, Transpo ), and the subjects you excel in most, and nail those down. Then as time allows, study the other subjects based on % of test and your strengths. If you take this approach, you'll do well in most subjects and can afford to let your least favorite subjects slide and be below average.

A few threads down, another result is posted, although he's Mechanical whereas you're Civil. I'm sure there are more if you look for them.

I'll post my failing score from May 2014. I passed in July. But like you, I was above average in about 4 areas. I calculated it out to be around a 56% which was not good enough to pass. It was frustrating because I read in my PPI book that around a 50% raw score was a passing score. I felt like I got hosed on the cut-off score for that round. Oh well, I studied more and passed a few months later. It's all in the past now... On to the PE!!

https://www.dropbox.com/s/4gc4fjveuujei53/Diagnostic.jpg?dl=0

I'll post my failing score from May 2014. I passed in July. But like you, I was above average in about 4 areas. I calculated it out to be around a 56% which was not good enough to pass. It was frustrating because I read in my PPI book that around a 50% raw score was a passing score. I felt like I got hosed on the cut-off score for that round. Oh well, I studied more and passed a few months later. It's all in the past now... On to the PE!!

https://www.dropbox.com/s/4gc4fjveuujei53/Diagnostic.jpg?dl=0

With your results, there shouldn't be any surprise why you didn't pass. 2 out of the 3 areas that you were above average on only had 3 questions each. Everything else needed much improvement.

Glad you studied harder and got it the second time. Good luck on the PE, it's tough but doable!

• Like 1

I am wondering if anyone would post their diagnostic.

I took the FE CIVIL CBT and failed.

I am studying to pass my next time. But i'm curious about my results. Do i need to get the "average" mark in every field. I had the probably and statistics that was 0/4 passed. Everything else was above or below.

Has anyone else gotten higher scores and above average in several areas and still failed?

I'm posting my result

It looks like you had below average in 14 out of 18 topics. Not just the Probability and Statistics. Right?

It looks like you had below average in 14 out of 18 topics. Not just the Probability and Statistics. Right?

Thanks everyone for your posts

And yes I was below average in many areas. Probably and Statistics was obviously the worst.

I didnt expect to pass with those results. I just wasnt sure how far off I was.

I wish it was a fixed number of questions needed.

Thanks everyone for your posts

And yes I was below average in many areas. Probably and Statistics was obviously the worst.

I didnt expect to pass with those results. I just wasnt sure how far off I was.

I wish it was a fixed number of questions needed.

Really? You don't want them to adjust the passing score based on difficulty? So a difficult exam should be treated the same as an easy one? Hmm.....

I took the civil exam this past weekend and failed. It was my second time taking it. The first time I failed it in school about 5 years ago. I wanted to share my results. I am having trouble making sense of them and how to use this diagnostic to prepare for the next time I take it. It shows my worst subject was materials but the bar charts are confusing since not all subjects are equal on the exam. Can anybody gauge how close I was to passing or help me make sense of this extremely vague diagnostic report?

I took the civil exam this past weekend and failed. It was my second time taking it. The first time I failed it in school about 5 years ago. I wanted to share my results. I am having trouble making sense of them and how to use this diagnostic to prepare for the next time I take it. It shows my worst subject was materials but the bar charts are confusing since not all subjects are equal on the exam. Can anybody gauge how close I was to passing or help me make sense of this extremely vague diagnostic report?

Mike, post your report. We'll help you make sense of it. Get a free photobucket account. Upload pic. Then copy and paste the IMG tag here. Done.

Mike, post your report. We'll help you make sense of it. Get a free photobucket account. Upload pic. Then copy and paste the IMG tag here. Done.

You can post images by using the EB 'Attach Files' option... but you'll likely have to compress the image file first to meet EB's skimpy maximum file size.

Example. :)

post-16801-0-01300900-1422478327_thumb.j

If I did the math correctly, your raw score was 57.89%. So you answered 58 questions right out of 100, which means you were 12 questions, give or take a few, away from passing.

Ptatohed, you agree with this?

You can post images by using the EB 'Attach Files' option... but you'll likely have to compress the image file first to meet EB's skimpy maximum file size.

Just let us know when members would like to start making extra contributions to allow for greater file attachment sizes. Host server storage space is not cheap. ;)

If I did the math correctly, your raw score was 57.89%. So you answered 58 questions right out of 100, which means you were 12 questions, give or take a few, away from passing.

I'd like to see your math. NCEES says you can't calculate the number of questions answered correctly from the CBT diagnostic........

• Like 1

Hmm... I've never tried to calc a score from an FE diagnostic. In fact, I've actually never seen an FE diagnostic before (not trying to brag, just being honest. ;) But, giving it a go, I got 57.03%. So, he needed 13 more questions correct. ? How'd you do it Wiz? I did it like this: (7.9/15)7 + (9/15)7 + (15/15)4 +........ (8.1/15)4 = 57.03333.

Just let us know when members would like to start making extra contributions to allow for greater file attachment sizes. Host server storage space is not cheap. ;)

I was not trying to say anything derogatory Mr. fox, I promise. I was just stating it factually. I actually am very grateful that there is even any attachment upload option at all on EB. It's much easier for lazy dudes like me to quickly compress a picture than it is to go find an external host site and link to it. :)

PS. My "extra contributions" come in the form of my time here, not money. ;)

• Like 1

Thank you ptatohed and wizard for the breakdown. Wizard in your calcs. you assumed that the test is 100 quest when its actually 110 questions. That might actually lower my score. How would the group go about calculating a score if for example in math you have a range from 7 to 11 questions and not a definite number of them. The average number or the max?

I studied for about 3 months mostly on weekends and some evenings due to working full time. I mostly did quizzes from the online quiz bank I bought and some chapters from the big yellow book. however the yellow book was very slow to go through. My problem with the quiz bank was that the questions are very hard compared to the test wasted to much time on it. For the next go around I plan to go through the yellow book to learn the concepts better and have not decided on wether to do the quiz bank again. However it does help you greatly with your speed and closely simulates the actual exam.

I did not feel prepared when I took the exam but I had been postponing the exam for 5 years now. Getting over the fear of actually taking the exam was the hardest part. The psychological battle is the toughest part. When I was taking the exam it really did not seem that hard as I had put in to my head that it was. Time management is HUGE!!! I did good with time management and not getting stuck. If I got answers wrong is because I truly did not know what to do.

When I add up the 'number of items', hence the number of questions per subject area, it comes to 100. But you're saying it's 110 questions total?

Hmm... I've never tried to calc a score from an FE diagnostic. In fact, I've actually never seen an FE diagnostic before (not trying to brag, just being honest. ;) But, giving it a go, I got 57.03%. So, he needed 13 more questions correct. ? How'd you do it Wiz? I did it like this: (7.9/15)7 + (9/15)7 + (15/15)4 +........ (8.1/15)4 = 57.03333.

I did it a little bit different, but I would think the results would come out the same. Apparently not though. haha. Yours is probably correct.

I did it like this: (7.9+9+15+.....8.1) / (15*18) = 57.89.

Then I was going to divide 57.89 by the number of questions to get my final answer. But since I counted 100 questions, I didn't need to do any further math and was done.

Edited by The Wizard

Thanks everyone for your responses. So although it varies, i've heard/read that about 70% is needed. Is that based on the weighted percentage of the 1-15 scale?