Best book for protective relaying?

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm taking a power system protection course for grad school and the textbook for that is "Protective Relaying Principles & Applications" by J. Lewis Blackburn. This book was also referenced to me while I was studying for the exam. There are a few electronic copies floating around the web otherwise it can be bought on Amazon. 4th edition is the latest.

I finally got around to checking these out. I like the one from Schneider for two reasons: 1) it's small enough to digest and 2) I am a water/wastewater engineer. That article actually has some real world application for me.

The GE (Mason) text is good, but it's too much for me to dig through the whole thing. I am trying to hit the high spots of it today.

I finally got around to checking these out. I like the one from Schneider for two reasons: 1) it's small enough to digest and 2) I am a water/wastewater engineer. That article actually has some real world application for me.

The GE (Mason) text is good, but it's too much for me to dig through the whole thing. I am trying to hit the high spots of it today.
Good to hear. I thought it was well written and easy to follow too.

I am highlighting all the definitions and writing the ansi device numbers to the side of each. Super helpful.

I feel like I understand the principles pretty well, but I am light on the nomenclature.

I really appreciate the recommendation.

I have read the most popular book on the subject written J Lewis Blackburn's book and it is ok. However I have read another book on the subject titled Protective Relay Priciples written by Anthony Sleva and I have to say that this is the best that I have ever read on the subject so far. In my opinion it is organized much better that Blackburn's text and a lot more easier to read and understand. It also has really good coverage of microprocessor based relays.

Wow! Just clicked your link and previewed a bunch of pages. Looks like a good book. I've worked in the electric utility industry for over 25 years and don't think I've ever seen protective relaying explained that well. Might need to buy myself even though i don't work with relays anymore.

Back