Winter Camping

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

P-E

Reaction score
Okay, it's probably crazy to set up tents in 0F weather, but we do it anyway (booze, bacon and cigars help). Any other nuts/gear heads out there?

117c94d418c66d0133571ba19e6da80d.jpg

Lots of beer is heavy to haul into camp, but it has been done. Whiskey/brandy is much easier.

The guys in my family used to camp for firearm deer season (beginning November 15th) in northern Michigan. This continued until the opening morning they woke up to make breakfast and the eggs were frozen solid. Thankfully, that foolishness ended before I got to be hunting age.

Trip is in two weeks. Need a good campsite liquor to go with the boxes of precooked bacon.

Trip is in two weeks. Need a good campsite liquor to go with the boxes of precooked bacon.

Wild Turkey or something similar... we used to make what we called "tug hill snow cones" basically using snow and a whole bunch of liquor.

I did a lot of winter camping in the past. Even as we got older and people started to join "camps" we kept up with it, although we hiked less, drank and road our sleds more (not in that order, one should not operate a snow mobile in a liquor induced haze) and stayed in buildings heated by roaring fires.

Never thought of snow cones. Brilliant! The trip usually includes a few trips out of the woods to the local pubs.

were still kind of new to it, but investing for the good $$ sleeping bag is my best advice..

We build kind of a snow trench and then pile some of the snow around the sides of the tent for insulation...

here is a scout trip. and yes I think the boys are as miserable as they look in this photo..

Ice_Cave_outing.JPG

Marmot makes great down bags and jackets. A quality 0F or -20F bag is very important.

Winter camping? No thanks, I prefer to keep my bag toasty and indoors.

I've done the winter camping thing several times. From a 4 season tent to a snow cave; each is a good experience.

Having the right gear is key; the army surplus bivy / bag rated to -40* now rides in the truck and is my primary setup along with the regular bivy and a couple or good tarps.

Be sure to get some bunny boots; your feet will thank you later...

I have pair of Sorel boots that seem to work alright. My hands are usually what end up the coldest. Not hard to melt a pair of gloves when too close to the campfire.

On the way to NH. Got my much hated 6 min solutions book packed and ready for burning. Next stop, the liquor store.

So I am really on the hunt for one of those canvas wall tents that sleeps 4-6 and allows a wood stove..  Cant seem to find one for less than a grand (& that's without the stove)!

someone shed some light on where I need to look? (other than craigslist- which I am checking)

So I am really on the hunt for one of those canvas wall tents that sleeps 4-6 and allows a wood stove..  Cant seem to find one for less than a grand (& that's without the stove)!

someone shed some light on where I need to look? (other than craigslist- which I am checking)
You might try federal auctions.  I know the Forest Service where I worked a long ways back would auction them off when they were done with them.

Back