How I Passed The PE with One Simple but Unknown Tip

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

VTmePE07

Reaction score
One thing I learned while studying that exponentially increased my chances of getting the right answer to a question I did not know how to do is...

(I'll post after 50 views)

97781740701a6ec57ced418119044945.jpg

32444239f460f7f7d20820608bb8be96.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Honestly, I said 50 views because i love the pics with quotes people post on these threads! There are two really good ones that seriously made me pee a little when I read them. Nice Job!!

On to the tip...

So I took the Mechanical HVAC PE this past October and enrolled in a study course. The course was like three months long and had a few different instructors. One of the instructors use to write questions for the test for like a decade. In the middle of one of his lectures he said something nonchalantly that I thought was ridiculous. I stopped the class and asked him to repeat it three times and if he was absolutely positive. What he said made my entire course fee worth it even if I didn't attend another class after that. He told us that...

There are 40 questions in the morning and 40 questions in the afternoon portions of the exam (duh, i know). BUT, for each of these portions there are always 10 A's, 10 B's, 10 C's and 10 D answer choices! I seriously exponentially increased my chances of guessing on the ones I did not know just from knowing this.

There are 40 questions in the morning and 40 questions in the afternoon portions of the exam (duh, i know). BUT, for each of these portions there are always 10 A's, 10 B's, 10 C's and 10 D answer choices! I seriously exponentially increased my chances of guessing on the ones I did not know just from knowing this.
I'd be willing to bet this isn't always the case and even if it were true I don't see how it would be that much of a benefit.

If you selected incorrectly for any of your answers then believing this would cause you to potentially select another incorrect answer, simply because you believe there are a balanced number of A's, B's, C's & D's. I think you'd be better off trying to answer each question to the best of your ability rather then wasting time counting up how many of each letter you answered.

I called NCEES to see if it was ok to share this info and not only did they say it was ok but they also confirmed this. And yes it is a huge advantage. The best way to take the test is to go through and answer the questions you know how to do first. Let's say you've done that and you go back to find out there are 2 that you just absolutely do not know how to do. If you count the responses you already have you find the answer has to be either C or D because you already have 10 As and 10 Bs. Logic says to guess C for both of them and you will get at least one right. That my friend is an advantage!

I'd be willing to bet this isn't always the case and even if it were true I don't see how it would be that much of a benefit.

If you selected incorrectly for any of your answers then believing this would cause you to potentially select another incorrect answer, simply because you believe there are a balanced number of A's, B's, C's & D's. I think you'd be better off trying to answer each question to the best of your ability rather then wasting time counting up how many of each letter you answered.
I called NCEES to see if it was ok to share this info and not only did they say it was ok but they also confirmed this. And yes it is a huge advantage. The best way to take the test is to go through and answer the questions you know how to do first. Let's say you've done that and you go back to find out there are 2 that you just absolutely do not know how to do. If you count the responses you already have you find the answer has to be either C or D because you already have 10 As and 10 Bs. Logic says to guess C for both of them and you will get at least one right. That my friend is an advantage!

Back