Pay Raise?

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

steve1997

Reaction score
Does not look like my company is looking to raise my salary at all after passing the PE. Any others out there get a raise?

In my company it is expected that you eventually pass the PE. No raise just a small bonus and better chance for promotion.

No raise. Just satisfaction. I expect most will be rewarded in the long run.

5% Pay raise but....

I switched jobs two years later and got 15%

Then switch jobs again a year after that and got another 10%

Due to my PE

$3000 salary bump for any first professional license, just waiting for my official license to come in the mail.

nope. i got nothing but the exam fee, the hotel, and the day off paid for.
Govt work. Bah.

5% Pay raise but....

I switched jobs two years later and got 15%

Then switch jobs again a year after that and got another 10%

Due to my PE
This.

I got 27% for passing Oct 2013.

Whaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaat?!

27% is absolute crazy. I guess unless you were fairly low $$$. I'm guessing Civil? I've heard before/after is huge for Civil
Wrong. Your salary is what you make it, regardless of discipline.

I got a 2,400 salary raise for a first professional license. Supposedly there is a freeze on promotions and raises at my company right now. We shall see in the coming months what happens....

Salary is always what you negotiate.

I started at an MEP firm at $58,000 passed PE got bumped to $61,000 (company paid for PE, materials, test, everything)

Moved to another firm that wanted to pay me $65,000, I laughed during interview and ended up at $72,500 (but was paying almost $10,000/year for health insurance).

Left them after a year to go to Water Utility and got $79,400 (my salary can be looked up online so doesn't matter if I post it). Left consulting to the water utility for the benefits for my family, plus lower stress, less overtime, etc.

Then I started my own electrical consulting for side income.

Also talk about salary to try and give people an idea if they make less to ask for more. Everything is negotiable.

Supposedly there is a freeze on promotions and raises at my company right now.

same here. i'm underpaid at the moment and my company is aware of it. even though we're on a freeze i had a respectful conversation with my boss last week, just to open the door on the subject. at the very least i want him to know that i'm looking for more. he agreed i'm due for a raise, it's now in the hands of our sales department (need to sell some projects). i figure it can't hurt letting my boss know that i'm looking for more responsibility and more compensation, that i do not want to just settle into a stagnant role in the company.

So far nothing. Actually since passing my supervisor and co-workers have become increasingly more hostile towards me. I think my supervisor called the state board to ask if there had been a mistake that there was no way I could have passed. They've yet to congratulate me and I don't think they ever will. My drafting tech now has more authority than I do. My boss and I have nearly the same amount of experience but he got his PE a few years before I did. When my boss got his PE he was promptly promoted and given a fat raise. Now he sits around bitching about how underpaid he is. He makes about $10k more than I do and he told me recently that I'm about where I should be. I asked him why is it that I was interviewed for a division manager's position and he wasn't? I heard nothing but crickets. Instead of sitting around and bitching like these idiots I worth with, I'm doing something about my situation. I'm applying for jobs and sending out my resume. I have been on over a dozen interviews the last few months and have a few good leads. Hopefully something will pan out soon.

One thing I will share with one of the interviews I went on is that the guy I interviewed with said that there is zero loyalty to employees now days. If you want a decent raise change jobs. He looked over my resume and application and said, "you're ready for the next step and you need to get out of that place you're working at. It's time for you to move on." Chances are you're in that situation too. Others on here like Willsee & Ship Wreck have already changed jobs and are reaping the rewards. It takes time to get there just like it took time to get that PE. I was under the false impression that I would get bumped up like my boss after passing the PE but I'm not part of the club.

No pay raise, just an attaboy. Of course, I work in the public sector where you don't get raises on ability, qualifications or accomplishments, you get raises according to how long you have been there and what political people you know. But the PE will give me mobility and options.

I told my boss that I had passed the PE and before I said anything my boss replied "now don't think you are going to get a salary raise or anything" and had a smirk on his face.

Well I can't change my jobs right now because of my visa constraints (and this is the reason my employer isn't worried about me going anywhere), but I hope that someday I can change my job.

In short no raise, not even a thought about it.

Back