October 2014 PE Pass Rates are Posted on NCEES

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
nice, i like that they added the volume of test takers. also like that they broke the disciplines up by subject matter (e.g. Civil Structural, etc.). big spread this year for first-time takers: 56% - 89%. i'm surprised the pass rate of Civil Construction is so low.

nice, i like that they added the volume of test takers. also like that they broke the disciplines up by subject matter (e.g. Civil Structural, etc.). big spread this year for first-time takers: 56% - 89%. i'm surprised the pass rate of Civil Construction is so low.
Yeah, I've been really curious to know how the pass rates shake out by discipline. I'm glad they started splitting it up.

I'm surprised the pass rate for Civil Structural is so high. I guess as a group we're just a smarter bunch! (j/k...maybe :p )

I'm surprised the pass rate for Civil Structural is so high. I guess as a group we're just a smarter bunch! (j/k...maybe :p )

yeah the Structural pass rate was pretty high

Last edited by a moderator:
Gah! and here I am still waiting for my state to notify me if I passed. Come on Minnesota!

Chemical pass rates seem high too, unless you're one of those repeat test-takers, which I unfortunately am. Still waiting on Oregon to give us our results, but I don't feel to great about that 25% of 75 statistic...

some interesting figures on the whole:

First Time Takers:

Total Takers: 7697

Total Pass: 5260

Cumulative Pass Rate: 68%

Repeat Takers:

Total Takers: 4089

Total Pass: 1349

Cumulative Pass Rate: 33%

6609 new PEs added to the workforce!

I'm surprised by the figures. I thought many more people take these exams.

An average of 25 people/state attempted the Civil-Structural exam I passed. This seems low to me.

It would be interesting if they would break this down by state as well.

I looked at the SE exam figures because I'm a glutton for punishment and will eventually go for it.

Less than 100 people attempted the bridge version and ~500 tried the building one.

ohvgib.jpg

It's nice to finally see how many people took the exams. I'm surprised that there were more than 25 takers for the nuclear test. For a while they were threatening to terminate the test because they never had more than 50 takers in a two year period.

I'm glad the volume has been posted too because at my testing site in Philadelphia, the room had MUCH fewer people than thought there would be, and this was the same place where I took the FE and it was packed.

Chemical pass rates seem high too, unless you're one of those repeat test-takers, which I unfortunately am. Still waiting on Oregon to give us our results, but I don't feel to great about that 25% of 75 statistic...
chemical pass rates have typically always worked out to be upper 60s to mid 70s, for first timers this isn't that high

Does anyone have an explanation of why the second timers (whose ranks I will soon be joining) are so low?

This comes up every time the pass rates come out. Here's what's been posted before:

The group of "first-time" examinees is significantly different from the group of "repeat-taker" examinees. The "first-time" group includes a more or less even mixture of high-performing, medium-performing, and low-performing candidates. They all take the exam. Most of the high performers pass, some of the medium performers pass, and only a few of the low performers pass. Those who pass leave the exam group.

Those who do not pass become repeat takers. So what does the repeat taker group look like? It has only a few high performers (because most of them already passed), plus some medium performers, and most of the low performers.

So the repeat taker group -- unlike the first-timer group -- consists mostly of low performers. Assuming that the exams are of similar difficulty, there needs to be something different about the repeat taker to pass the second time because otherwise they will fail again. The repeat takers who had a bad day the first time or changed their approach will pass and be removed from the repeater group.

Does anyone have an explanation of why the second timers (whose ranks I will soon be joining) are so low?

This comes up every time the pass rates come out. Here's what's been posted before:

The group of "first-time" examinees is significantly different from the group of "repeat-taker" examinees. The "first-time" group includes a more or less even mixture of high-performing, medium-performing, and low-performing candidates. They all take the exam. Most of the high performers pass, some of the medium performers pass, and only a few of the low performers pass. Those who pass leave the exam group.

Those who do not pass become repeat takers. So what does the repeat taker group look like? It has only a few high performers (because most of them already passed), plus some medium performers, and most of the low performers.

So the repeat taker group -- unlike the first-timer group -- consists mostly of low performers. Assuming that the exams are of similar difficulty, there needs to be something different about the repeat taker to pass the second time because otherwise they will fail again. The repeat takers who had a bad day the first time or changed their approach will pass and be removed from the repeater group.
this sounds familiar...

Back