Results Delayed this year

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

josef104

Reaction score
Read December 2014 licensure exchange page 15. In upcoming events, Dec 9-10 meeting for PE Petroleum cut score. So the PE Petroleum cut score has to be finalized and the results tallied.

8-10 weeks it is.

Read December 2014 licensure exchange page 15. In upcoming events, Dec 9-10 meeting for PE Petroleum cut score. So the PE Petroleum cut score has to be finalized and the results tallied.

8-10 weeks it is.

Might be something to this. Doing some quick sleuthing, saw that in the April '13 Licensure exchange, there were scheduled "Cut Score Meetings" to be held on May 17-18, 2013. Based on the April '13 results map on the EB forum, results were released on May 22 of that year.

There is some confusion over the fracking questions.... that need to be "flushed out" in the Houston meeting....

I can't imagine that meeting would be for anything other than.. ya know.. figuring out the PE Petroleum Exam cut score. So yep, guess we're gonna just have to attempt some patience.

Maybe possible they are meeting to just discuss how the cut score was actually determined?

Anyone know if they post all cut score meetings under upcoming events from previous newsletters?

I just talked to someone at NCEES, the cut score meeting for PE Pet. it for future exams, not this one. Dust that f5 back off!

I just talked to someone at NCEES, the cut score meeting for PE Pet. it for future exams, not this one. Dust that f5 back off!
I don't think so. Here's what it says on their website:

Determining passing scores
When an exam is introduced or when its specifications change, a committee of subject-matter experts works with experienced psychometricians (testing experts with a background in statistics) to determine the level of performance that corresponds with minimal competence in that discipline. This becomes the passing score. NCEES does not publish passing scores because they change with each administration. NCEES scores each exam with no predetermined percentage of examinees that should pass or fail. All exams are scored the same way. First-time takers and repeat takers are graded to the same standard.

Equating
For subsequent administrations of the exam, statistical equating is used to ensure that this level of performance is consistent across multiple administrations of that exam. Essentially, this means that while the numerical passing score may change with each administration, you are not disadvantaged when one administration of a particular exam is more difficult than another. This process accounts for the 8- to 10-week interval between an exam administration and the release of scores to member licensing boards.
I read that to mean they're having the meeting to set the passing score for this petroleum exam and it will be the basis for the future petroleum exams. At least until they change the specifications again.

Last edited by a moderator:

8-10 weeks it is.

Might be something to this. Doing some quick sleuthing, saw that in the April '13 Licensure exchange, there were scheduled "Cut Score Meetings" to be held on May 17-18, 2013. Based on the April '13 results map on the EB forum, results were released on May 22 of that year.

And looking at last December's newsletter, there weren't any scheduled. That may be why they were out so quickly last October.

When an exam is introduced or when its specifications change, a committee of subject-matter experts works with experienced psychometricians (testing experts with a background in statistics) to determine the level of performance that corresponds with minimal competence in that discipline. This becomes the passing score. NCEES does not publish passing scores because they change with each administration. NCEES scores each exam with no predetermined percentage of examinees that should pass or fail. All exams are scored the same way. First-time takers and repeat takers are graded to the same standard.

Equating

For subsequent administrations of the exam, statistical equating is used to ensure that this level of performance is consistent across multiple administrations of that exam. Essentially, this means that while the numerical passing score may change with each administration, you are not disadvantaged when one administration of a particular exam is more difficult than another. This process accounts for the 8- to 10-week interval between an exam administration and the release of scores to member licensing boards.
I read that to mean they're having the meeting to set the passing score for this petroleum exam and it will be the basis for the future petroleum exams. At least until they change the specifications again.
That's what I was worried about and that's why I contacted ncees and asked. They said it is not related to the October 2014 exam.

Equating

That's what I was worried about and that's why I contacted ncees and asked. They said it is not related to the October 2014 exam.
yet the results are still not released.

Best to go find a hobby. Or better yet, become a supporting member here and while you're at it stop over to the General Discussion section of this board and try to relax.

Equating

Good point MIG. Thanks for the thoughtful response.

I just contacted NCEES and they told me the opposite, that the meeting does pertain to the October 2014 exam results.

Back