Need some help from some of our seasons members in here :)

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ruskyline

EIT
Reaction score
Hello all!! I hope you're having a good so far. I am a recent civil engineering grad and I would like go into the project management route, rather doing engineering calculations. Why? Because I held a part time job at a small private firm for about 3 months, I was out on the field almost almost half of the week and I loved it. I really enjoy seeing how the project comes together, perhaps even more than designing..

Just from top of my head, I have a few questions that I'd like to ask.

1. Do I need to get my masters? If so in what? Structural/MBA/Project Management? I'm not sure what I should study or if I even need to study. I feel like getting my masters would be the next step but I'm not sure in what.

2. Are you a project manager yourself? if so why did you choose project management?

3. Anything else you'd like to add =]

Thank you.

Master's always helps and looks good on both your personal and professional resumes. So, if you want to do that immediately, it'll probably help you land a job. But, before you just pick something to pick something to get a job, you should have somewhat of a plan/direction.

The most effective project managers understand all aspects of the duties being performed and have generally started at the bottom and worked their way up. As a fresh graduate, you'll end up doing a lot of fieldwork and grunt work. Depending on where you're working, you could move up faster or slower.

Also, don't forget that you'll meet a lot of people and work for a lot of people. While some people will try to help and you may find some people that will protect you, you have to look out for yourself and your career.

Hello all!! I hope you're having a good so far. I am a recent civil engineering grad and I would like go into the project management route, rather doing engineering calculations. Why? Because I held a part time job at a small private firm for about 3 months, I was out on the field almost almost half of the week and I loved it. I really enjoy seeing how the project comes together, perhaps even more than designing..

Just from top of my head, I have a few questions that I'd like to ask.

1. Do I need to get my masters? If so in what? Structural/MBA/Project Management? I'm not sure what I should study or if I even need to study. I feel like getting my masters would be the next step but I'm not sure in what.

2. Are you a project manager yourself? if so why did you choose project management?

3. Anything else you'd like to add =]

Thank you.

Maybe I am wrong but I don't think of project management as something a recent graduate can simply jump into. I think it requires experience and that means starting in the trenches and and working your way up. Also, why do you think PMs spend half the week in the field?

Good point. At least from my experience, most PMs spend ~95% of the time in an office setting.

Sounds to me like you should work as a field engineer for a general contractor -- would give you lots of field time, varied experience, and more management than technical.

PMP is really a Mickey Mouse certification and some companies are trying to substitute them for PE's. That's a terrible mistake and jeopardizes the health, safety, and well being of the public. As far as the experience goes to sit for the PMP you do have to have so much experience but it's not what you think. They count things like organizing a group study, birthday parties, inventory control at a grocery store...etc. You really don't need anything more than a high school diploma to sit for the exam.

If you want to spend time in the field go work for a large construction company. I started out working for a construction company myself and also liked being in the field and seeing how projects are built. To be a project manager you typically have to work your way up and not something you jump in to right out of school. How quickly you advance to a PM all depends on the industry you work in and of course office politics. If you piss off management or not part of the club you will need to look elsewhere for that promotion.

Back