AM Construction Problem - Most Nearly Term in the Question

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

blondebedhead

Reaction score
Concrete Bridge Protection, Repair, and Rehabilitation Relative to
Reinforcement Corrosion is performed by a contractor at a cost rate of
$38.65/SF. Sixteen out of thirty-eight, 8-ft diameter columns have been
determined by the resident engineer needing this work. The surface area
extends from elevation 16’-6” to 12-in above the mean water level which is
marked at 0’- 6”. The cost ($) for this scope of work is most nearly:

a. 75,000
b. 100,000
c. 225,000
d. 250,000

The answer based on my calculations comes out to $233,105.88.
So, what should I pick?
Please note the term Most Nearly

I don't know which one to pick. I just asked my SofPE instructor. Waiting to hear back. I am thinking D because $225,000 will not be enough to pay for the work performed.

It doesn't change your dilemma of which one to pick, but I get $233,131.31.

(pi)(8)(15)(16)(38.65) = $233,131.31

How did you get $233,105.88?

I guess answer D??

I got $233,131.31 as well. "C" is most nearly. I think the trick here is the the .5 mean water level. Failure in this subtraction will put you at i$240, which would be "D".

I don't know which one to pick. I just asked my SofPE instructor. Waiting to hear back. I am thinking D because $225,000 will not be enough to pay for the work performed.
Have you heard back from your instructor yet? "C" is most nearly the answer, but "D"is the amount to cover the project. What did the solution give as an answer?

Yes, I would go with C too. The question asks for most nearly which means the closest number, which is C. This is a good question because it makes you pay attention to what is actually being asked. This is important to pay attention to on the exam. There are a lot of easy answered missed because of this.

Yes I did get the answer. The answer is C because mathematical rounding will prevail. Also, yes, I did get $233,131.31. I am not sure why I wrote $233,105.88.

Thanks for the input folks.

The question is pretty straight forward but small details like this makes a huge difference. I am pretty positive they will at least throw a few curve balls like this on the actual exam.

Damnit Jim, I'm testing to find engineers who are right, not who are practical!

(cause lord knows there is a surplus of those)

Back