LEED

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
T

twada

I am a building consulting electrical engineer. In California it is becoming more important to become a LEED certified engineer / architect. I am curious if there is anyone who is certified as LEED AP here. If so, can you explain what exactly LEED does, and how to become a LEED certified designer? What kind of exam is it like? Is it similar to the PE exam? Any info is appreciated.

How do I become a LEED® Accredited Professional (LEED® AP?)

Download the LEED Professional Accreditation Candidate Handbook for important details about becoming a LEED AP, including registering for and taking the exam. here

When and where is the exam offered in my area?

USGBC contracts with Thomson Prometric to administer the LEED AP exam at their test sites all over the U.S. and its territories. Please call Thomson Prometric at 888-215-4154 to find your local test center and register for your exam. Exams may be scheduled for Monday through Saturday, 8am to 8pm.

How do I register for the LEED exam?

The exam is computer-based and is delivered and proctored through Thomson Prometric. It is offered on demand at local test centers across the United States and its territories. To schedule an exam, please call 1-888-215-4154 as there is no web-based registration. It is recommended that candidates contact Thomson Prometric at least two weeks ahead of the date they wish to sit for the exam. The exam fee is $250 for members and $350 for non-members.

How do I select the appropriate exam track?

After the discontinuation of the current exam, (last date for New Construction version 2.1 exam is 10/31/06), the U.S. Green Building Council will release three exam tracks: LEED for New Construction v2.2, LEED for Existing Buildings v2.0 and LEED for Commercial Interiors v2.0.

Candidates will be able to select the rating system and exam track which they feel best applies to the type of building projects they work with most often. You can read through each rating system on the LEED Rating Systems page to decide which is right for you. Candidates will only need to pass one exam track in order to achieve the LEED Accredited Professional credential. As a LEED Accredited Professional, one is eligible for ID Credit 2, LEED Accredited Professional on a registered project.

There are corresponding Reference Guides and Technical Review Workshops for each exam track.

Link to FAQ on LEED APs

Also, the test is a 73 question multiple choise test. It is given on a computer and you have 1 hour 45 minutes to complete the test. You will be given the results before you leave the testing site.

I am not a LEED, this is just what I pulled from the LEED site.

Last edited by a moderator:
Does anyone want to sell their LEED for New Construction Reference Guide (Version 2.2, First Edition) Guide? I am looking for a used copy.

I'm a structural engineer. It is my understanding that the test is the same for all disciplines. Any help on which study books I should purchase?

Hi all. I am LEED AP accredited (not certified, you will learn that in the LEED NC Reference Guide or the workshop BTW!)

LEED is a point rating system to determine whether a building was designed truly as a "green bldg." as defined by the USGBC (usgbc.org)

It is the same test for all disciplines, I do not remember how many questions were there, I do remember you need a 50% to pass. Don't be fooled by that, I know people that have taken the test 3-4 times. It is a computer test and it is nowhere near as difficult as a PE test. No equations here. You get your results right away after the test. I went to the workshop and studied one weekend before the test and that was it.

The one book you need is the LEED NC Reference Package, latest version for the test you will take. Check USGBC.org. The problem with LEED is that it covers all areas of construction, so if you are an electrical engineer, they will ask you questions on imperviousness of parking lot surfaces and water runoff. If you are a civil, they will ask you about footcandle levels accomplished by daylighting. ANYONE can take the LEED test, BTW, even non-construction-professionals.

The intent of the exam is to test your knowledge in the LEED point system, the process for having a project become LEED certified, and how to gain points under the system. There are 6 main areas under which a project can gain leed points, but you will see that in the Guide.

I went to their workshop and I strongly suggest you do that, if you can. Otherwise you will have to get very familiar with ALL terms in the Reference Guide, in order to pass the test. LEED materials, tests and memberships are not cheap, so if you can get your employer to pay for all of it, do it! That's what I did! If you plan to pay for it by your own pocket, I would first question whether or not it is VITAL you get LEED accredited. It depends on where you work and how many LEED projects you get in your office. I can tell you 1 year after I took the test, I have not worked on a LEED project. There has been some possibilities, but I guess bids were too high! It does however help you in setting you apart, because people tell me all the time: What are all those letters in your business card?!

Any questions let me know! I cannot sell my reference guide BTW! Sorry!

Jpgolf

JP,

Just got my copy of the New Construction Reference Guide... waiting for the guy here to schedule me for the workshop. I plan on getting this thing out of the way by Thanksgiving!

-Ray

Is the LEED exam closed book?
Yes. No books, no references. From what I have been reading and hearing it is more or less a test about how much of the information you can memorize and recall. It is multiple choice on a computer with instant results (unlike the PE). I have been working some of the 6 sections each day and it is starting to click - (what references some points use, phase of submittal, intent and strategy for some of the credits).

-Ray

^^ Okay, I just have to memorize. I took a memorization exam a couple of years ago for an RCDD certification. (Registered Communications Distribution Designer.) That's one of the certifications that could be in the thread making fun of them. I'm going to get the book and start studying with a plan of having LEED AP by next summer. Everything I've heard about LEED indicates that it will be getting more important and AP's will be in demand. I was at a conference a couple of weeks ago for the communications (RCDD) industry and LEED was a pretty hot topic.

Yes. No books, no references. From what I have been reading and hearing it is more or less a test about how much of the information you can memorize and recall. It is multiple choice on a computer with instant results (unlike the PE). I have been working some of the 6 sections each day and it is starting to click - (what references some points use, phase of submittal, intent and strategy for some of the credits).
-Ray
I went and signed up for the darn thing... Monday 11/5 at 9AM. I have taken some practice tests and see where I am weakest right now (the referenced standards and the fees/CIR/frontend stuff). I feel I am pretty strong on the actual credit and prereq intents, submittal phase, requirements, etc.

Just another test to get out of the way this year!

-Ray

Hey Ray, good luck on the LEED exam. Based on your comments and I am sure you are going top ace that thing. The workshop was most of it for me, and then reviewing the notes the weekend after the exam, and that was it. Unlike the PE, they do give you your score after you are done. Beware of the way the questions are written, some may seem "maliciously" written. Just read and understand each question thoroughly and carefully.

Jpgolf

Hey Ray, good luck on the LEED exam. Based on your comments and I am sure you are going top ace that thing. The workshop was most of it for me, and then reviewing the notes the weekend after the exam, and that was it. Unlike the PE, they do give you your score after you are done. Beware of the way the questions are written, some may seem "maliciously" written. Just read and understand each question thoroughly and carefully.
Jpgolf
JP,

I am just trying to keep the references straight right now. I feel pretty confident on the intent and requirements of each credit. I just want to get this darn thing over with so I can stop carrying around my copy of all the LEED stuff in my work bag!

-Ray

Congrats!
What did you think of the exam?

Jpgolf
I thought it was fair - a lot more procedural questions than I anticipated (should have spent some more time on procedures and responsiblities). I nailed the credit questions though.

I am just glad to have it overwith!

Thanks guys. I somehow managed to schedule the exam for the busiest time I have had at work in the last 6 months! Timing is everything!

-Ray

Great job Ray!

Now you can have that "LEED AP" title added to your business cards!!

Great job Ray!
Now you can have that "LEED AP" title added to your business cards!!
I passed the exam at 10AM on monday, I got to work by 10:45... by 11:30 I had submitted my expense report to get reimbursed for the exam fee, updated my resume, updated my linkedin.com profile, updated my email signature, told my boss, told my boss' boss, sent an email to marketing to update my company staff profile, changed a few things on my employee evaluation (which my boss and I are doing next week), and ordered new business cards.

I had actually just gotten my PE cards a few months ago... but ordered new ones anyway!

-Ray

Back