LEED - Page 10 - LEED, PTOE, PMP - Engineer Boards
Engineer Boards
Sign in to follow this  
Guest twada

LEED

State jobs over certain budget numbers require different LEED certification here.

I'll be honest, I don't fully understand all aspects or requirements of the LEED certified building, but in my opinion, what I have seen and heard, I find to be somewhat suspect and downright silly.

I work for a Custom HVAC manufacturer and some of the LEED requirements for refrigerant quantities (so many pounds per ton) are rediciously low. You can't build a large tonnage custom piece of equipment and meet this one point. I always tell them to go buy a bike rack or buy a waterless urinal, but look elsewhere! A higher end piece of equipment with hot gas reheat, large condenser surface (Low condenser TD / Lower compressor KW), evaporative condensers, large serviceable machines, etc, just can't be built and maintain the refrigerant quantity. It works great for off the shelf package units, but not our type of equipment. We meet and exceed 90.1 energy standards on a regular basis...we design units with variable speed condenser fans, and many other energy saving features that cannot be quantified into a "point".

Also, these 2" 95% LEED certified fitlers are crap! They're electrostatically charged to obtain the MERV rating for LEED..It wears off in about a week. You can do just as good with a one dollar can of Aquanet hair spray.

Forget this LEED silver and gold stuff. The poor owners of the building get scammed into paying out the yang for a stupid plaque to hang on the wall, when they would be better off buying good mechanical equipment and putting the money into their building envelope.

The idea is noble, but I think has been possibly been twisted some to allow some to profit like so many other things. We should strive to build sustainable, long lasting buildings, but some of it seems to be wasteful needless spending.

Just my opinion.

KS

Hi All,

For those who passed the LEED Green Associate Exam, which study guide do you think is the most useful and efficient when studying for the exam?

Any input will be much appreciated!!

Thank you!! :)

I used the free practice exam located here...

/>http://www.buildingmygreenlife.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/05/GA-Practice-Exam-with-answers_June41.pdf

And read through the resources on the leed website, as well as purchased the leed green associate books. I passed so it worked.

LEED is just a marketing tool for non-engineers to act as if they are relevant, period.

How do you phrase that you have LEED AP BD&C in your resume?

Do you say that you passed LEED GA and LEED AP BD&C exams or

You say Having LEED AP BD&C certification?

According to USGBC, technically you're not supposed to use the abbreviation LEED GA, they actually want you to spell it out. My belief is that it sounds too much like LEED AP which means a lot more, the green associate is the halfway license like the EIT. I have not placed it after my name.

My opinion. No, it's not worth it, unless you can double the CEU's up with another license it'll cost you money and I don't believe it's helped my career, LEED is not really about saving energy (more of what I do) they have a lot of things in there like installing bike racks, location of sites, permeable parking lots, etc. that you can get points for.

I have the PE, CEM, and Leed Green Assoc. The CEM was free, back when the stimulus dollars were available my state allowed all professionals in the energy field to take the class and get the certification free of charge, if you can get your company to pay for the CEM it's worth it imho, not because of the value it adds on your resume but the education in fields that are not your own, they teach you all about electrical, mechanical, HVAC, and building systems and give you a basic understanding of each system. The CEM is more engineering related while the LEED is more architectural.

In terms of difficulty the LEED was by far the easiest to get, followed by the CEM which was challenging, then the PE was the hardest of course.

congrats. now that it's been a while, do you feel that it was worth it? i've been thinking about taking this one as well. was it a difficult exam?

congrats. now that it's been a while, do you feel that it was worth it? i've been thinking about taking this one as well. was it a difficult exam?

It is not difficult. You should remember a lot of stuff though. I passed LEED AP ( BD+C) last year.

Hey Guys,

I finally decided to study, and I passed the LEED Green Associate exam a few weeks ago. Can anyone who has taken in the exam in the last 18months recommend some good studying material for the LEED AP BD+C exam??

Thanks Guys!

The reference manual is all you need. Know it cover to cover.

You know the rating system is changing, right? Your time frame to taking the test under 2009 may be limited.

Yeah I do know it is changing, I will look into the time frame because while the green associate might be more general and less affected by the change, the AP could be completely different.

Thanks for responding!

When it started, the Air Force just made it a goal to be "certifiable" at a certain level, not actually certified. So, they went through the rigamarole, but didn't have to pay all the fees on the back end.

I'm a LEED AP myself. I'm no great fan of the system, but it was the hot thing a few years ago and my company was willing to foot the bill. It's merely a feather in my cap that looks nice on a resume.

I'd be interested to see the cost/benefit analysis on a typical LEED project. When do you reach your breakeven point when your savings on energy offset the $3M extra you spent to make it earthy and crunchy.

Registering your project is a money grab for the USGBC. Also, it contributes to the greenwashing of the general public. "They support the environment, I can feel good about shopping there..." They do realize the extra expense of the facility is passed onto them I hope.

I'm a LEED AP myself. I'm no great fan of the system, but it was the hot thing a few years ago and my company was willing to foot the bill. It's merely a feather in my cap that looks nice on a resume.

I'd be interested to see the cost/benefit analysis on a typical LEED project. When do you reach your breakeven point when your savings on energy offset the $3M extra you spent to make it earthy and crunchy.

Registering your project is a money grab for the USGBC. Also, it contributes to the greenwashing of the general public. "They support the environment, I can feel good about shopping there..." They do realize the extra expense of the facility is passed onto them I hope.

Do you feel it was worth it to you to get the LEED AP? I'm considering getting mine...if nothing more than for the resume booster.

Do you plan on doing work in the green building industry?

If so, then yes.

Don't let these idiots who tell you not to get "too caught up in it" influence your decision. If you plan on doing work in the field it is absolutely necessary.

Do you feel it was worth it to you to get the LEED AP? I'm considering getting mine...if nothing more than for the resume booster.

It was the hot thing at that point and my dog could pass the test if she was drunk at the time, so why not especially if your company is footing the bill. It's a resume booster, and since it is the flavor of the week, it is good to have an understanding of the system. I won a project for my old firm based on my knowledge of it. That's about it.

Don't let these idiots who tell you not to get "too caught up in it" influence your decision. If you plan on doing work in the field it is absolutely necessary.

Please stop flaming.

Do you plan on doing work in the green building industry?

If so, then yes.

We don't particularly go for LEED projects, but we have completed a couple.

Everblue has a good on-line class with sample tests for a couple hundred bucks. I watched it, went throught the sample tests mutlple times and passed with no problem.

Congrats! I'm considering taking the LEED Green Associate exam here shortly then taking the LEED AP. I'm with the others, what exam prep material was good to look at?