A PE Raise

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
C

Chrizpah

For those that have gotten a pay raise, is this something that was:

a) Atomatic once you passed

:) Something your boss offered upon hearing the good news

c) Something that you had to request

d) Something that will happen at your next review

Just found out I passed and as long as I've been with my firm nobody else has passed so I don't have anything to compare it too.

Also I'm a Mech Eng with a MEP consulting firm. What sort of % raise are you seeing if your in the same field as myself. Thanks.

I would be curious to see what other ME's have had experience with, I am Civil ,so the PE is a lot different salary wise in our world.

But I didnt get anything automatic, I had to go do "the talk" with the boss, still unresolved at this point but "working on it sort of speak"

I think it depends on years of experience.

ONe thing I always do & recommend is to put a semi private resume on monster.com, you can use a hotmail or yahoo email addy and leave your name off and you would be suprised the kind of salary info you can get just by all the emails you will get from headhunters, Just dont give them a phone #, cause they will call you night &day

ONe thing I always do & recommend is to put a semi private resume on monster.com, you can use a hotmail or yahoo email addy and leave your name off and you would be suprised the kind of salary info you can get just by all the emails you will get from headhunters, Just dont give them a phone #, cause they will call you night &day

That's a great idea! I'll try that.

I am also a civil PE, but my first PE raise was automatic as a function of an older company policy. When I received the automatic raise, I was also told that further review would be done at the annual review (this week). To aid that process, I did some research online and with other people in my area and came up with the number that I wanted. I submitted that number to the powers that be. If I get it, great. If I don't, I will look elsewhere. I honestly think I should/could have asked for more. I figured I could not be mad with no getting what i wanted if I didn't point blank tell them what I wanted.

-GT

I didn't get a raise!!!!....oh, wait a minute, never mind, I didn't pass the **** test! :appl: <--I just thought this one looked cool.....FIRST POST in the new server!!!!

I was supposed to get an automatic 20%. I passed the test last April, got 15 in August and am still waitng on the other 5. Kind of a pisser.

I am with you...I am aiming for a 20% overall raise but have only seen half of that so far.

I moved to California from Chicago a few years ago. I thought Civil and Structure engineers here earn a lot more than Electrical and Mechanical. In Illinois, Civil and Structure engineers earn less than Electrical and Mechanical. But after reading a lot about PA raise from Civil and Structural people, they sound like they are still paid less. Is it true?

This is an informative topic. I am a new PE (Civil Structure) and haven't seen anything yet after the talk. Yes, had to do the talk too.

Last edited:
I got a raise a month *before* the exam ~5%, which according to the employee manual is an 'equity adjustment and not based on merit'. After passing I got a $1000 raise automatically. My next possible Annual Salary Review is 12 months from the 1st salary adjustment... Guess I am SOL.

Mine was not automatic. I had the talk and I think I ended up with a raise (25%) outside of my companies normal review process, only because I think they thought I was leaving. I have my normal review coming up and hoping for another adjustment to get me where I should be.

Mine was not automatic. I had the talk and I think I ended up with a raise (25%) outside of my companies normal review process, only because I think they thought I was leaving. I have my normal review coming up and hoping for another adjustment to get me where I should be.

What discipline are you?

I was offered a 62% raise to leave my former employer to come aboard to my current employer (after passing the P.E. exam). I have been here 6 months and was just offered a $1/hr raise. -_-

Civil Engineer - Project manager - Land development - 6 years experience

Last edited:
Well, speak of the devil...my raise has been finalized. In the end, I ended up with a 22.12% raise. I will be supersizing my value meal now.

-GT

I was offered a 62% raise to leave my former employer to come aboard to my current employer (after passing the P.E. exam). I have been here 6 months and was just offered a $1/hr raise. -_-
HOLY COW!

What discipline? And how many years have you been working?

I'm a mechanical engineer. I got a 6.5% "automatic" raise. After 4 years with the company (which is how long you have to wait to apply for the PE anyway), you can get bumped up to an E3 (associate engineer), but you have to have your PE, too. So if they're happy with your work, etc, it's pretty automatic to get a promotion to E3 and a "salary adjustment" as soon as you pass the PE. My company is on the smaller side for engineering firms, though, so my raise may not be as much as some of the larger firms out there.

Back