Culverts- AM

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thechosenone

Reaction score
Hi

any guidance if I need to prepare for Culverts for AM part? If yes, can anyone please direct me to some material on Culverts/

Are you referring to the culvert design portion (under water resources and environmental)? I believe the CERM adequately answered most review questions I had, and any other questions were easily answered by the FREE reference listed on the NCEES Civil PE Transportation testing Specifications, "Hydraulic Design of Highway Culverts" . But I took the Transportation depth so I had printed and 'bound' this FREE reference, like the MUTCD.

If you are curious where else to find something Civil that isn't in your Depth, then I would suggest referencing the information NCEES offers for the other Civil Depths (NCEES offers lots of great info):

http://ncees.org/exams/pe-exam/

Chapter 19 of the 13th edition CERM has a great section on culvert design, very well laid out. i say this having not taken the exam yet but i don't feel the need to study culverts any more for the AM portion.

Culverts by their nature can be quite tricky to analyze, model, & design... there are an array of variables to consider (headwater and tailwater conditions, inlet and outlet configurations/losses, friction loss through the pipe itself, etc.), and depending on these the culvert may behave more like an open channel or more like an orifice, may have a hydraulic jump or not, etc. Even in practice with computer programs like HY-8 and HEC-RAS to do the heavy number crunching, a lot of simplifying assumptions are very much the norm.

I agree that the CERM does a fairly good job in covering this topic, though rest assured that if there is anything culvert-related in the a.m. breadth portion, it's most likely going to be a simple definition or concept type question. "Culvert design" is a bit of a stretch for an a.m. syllabus topic as I wouldn't (and the good people at NCEES shouldn't) expect a non-hydro engineer to be able to "design" a culvert.

I wouldn't expect to see box culverts (in the AM), but I would brush up on my understanding of manning's equation and all the other items listed on the NCEES list of possible AM WR questions - Civil PE Exam..

I wouldn't expect to see box culverts (in the AM), but I would brush up on my understanding of manning's equation and all the other items listed on the NCEES list of possible AM WR questions - Civil PE Exam..
this. keep in mind that it is the "breadth" section for a reason. The WR/E afternoon depth is much more likely to have a question for this topic.

this. keep in mind that it is the "breadth" section for a reason. The WR/E afternoon depth is much more likely to have a question for this topic.
Yup, and the Transpo Depth too, as JMT mentioned.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back