PMP Certification

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dexman PE PMP

Internationally PMP'n his PE-ness
Reaction score
I will be attending a 4-day "bootcamp" at the end of the month to prep for the PMP exam. Company is paying for everything, so I figured why not. Class will cover pretty much everything I need from the application all the way through the exam. Within the next 6 weeks or so I hope to be PMP certified.

Good luck! This is something that has been on my radar for a while, but the cost is prohibitive. Lucky you with the company picking up the tab.

Yep, company is paying for everything. We're given a $2k yearly education allowance (use it or lose it), which can be used for both personal and professional development. Granted, you have to demonstrate that the company will get something out of it and it requires signatures from 3 different managers.

I'm not really doing anything else. I'm only doing the class because it's required and the company is paying for it.

My company is doing a 25 session 1.5 hour per session class on the PMBOK. Typically I learn best from reading, but the PMBOK is VERY dry and very boring. Has anyone actually read the PMBOK, or do you tend to get more from the class? What approach have folks taken for studying? Work problems like the PE? Ready the book? Study guides? Study Groups? Any advice is appreciated.

Read this excerpt from paragraph 4.3.2.3 - Meetings: "Meetings are used to discuss and address pertinent topics of the project when directing and managing project work. Attendees at the meeting may include the project manager, the project team, and appropriate stakeholders involved or affected by the topics addressed."

Good luck. The PMP is a breeze compared to the PE.
Beyond taking a class, how much additional prep time did you put in?
I didn't take a class. I just studied Rita Mulcahy's PMP Exam Prep book. Each chapter has summary test questions. I read each chapter and took the test at the end of each chapter. Then, leading up to the exam, I just did the summary test questions over and over. The PMP was more memorization because they try to level all disciplines of project management into one philosophy.

My application to take the exam was approved yesterday. Now I just need to come up with the $400 to actually take the test (company reimburses upon passing exam).

Test is tomorrow. I've taken 4 practice exams and the highest I've scored is a 70%. It's hard to be optimistic at this point, but I would really hate to eat $400...

post-25179-you-can-do-it-gif-serious-Rob-rNbk.gif

When are the results released?
I honestly don't know. It's a computer based test, so I am hoping it's relatively quickly. In my mind I get them back immediately afterwards, but I wouldn't be surprised if the results don't come for about a week via snail mail...

My boss took this recently. You get the results back immediately if you take the computer based test. If I remember correctly, he took the test, came in with the print out saying he passed and immediately applied for company reimbursement.

Back