Looking for a job

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Irqvet

Reaction score
I'm electrical eng, graduated from Iraq . with over 8 years of engineering experience , got my EIT last year from first attempt, I would like somebody to help me to diagnose the problem of not getting hired ,not even getting a single interview ,my resume prepared by a very good rated resume writing company ,please help

This could be multiple factors. Are you willing to move? Are you looking locally only? Is the area that you are living have good demand for electrical engineers? Is your experience based on something very specific or something that have a lot of demand. Do you have friends or contacts that have moved to other places that can help you? You already have 8 years of experience with EIT and have not taken the PE(sometimes some states requires 8 years of experience for non-abet accredited degrees)? Some employees see well he have 8 years and no PE sometimes raise a flag.

I haven't seen your resume so I don't know!

I would have to see your resume, before making a final judgement. However there could be several other factors such as a language barrier. This can be ovecome by practicing speaking in English a whole lot (this does not mean to stop speaking your language around family and close friends). I know that this may sound kind of harsh, but the fact is that many of the people who you have interviewed with probably don't get the opportunity to meet people from abroad and are probably closed minded. Another factor could be, not being prepared for the interview. This preparation can be done by listing possible interview questions and practicing answering them. You can see examples of this by going to YouTube and typing in how to do well in an inteview.

I would suggest signing up on Monster.com and LinkedIn (if you have not already). LinkedIn is full of professional recruiters trying to find engineers.

If you do have a linkedIn account, make sure you have your profile completely filled out with your engineering experience and a professional type picture. This will gain you a great amount of exposure with the recruiters.

How many resume's have you put out? 100, 500? When you are job hunting, figure that a well-advertised job may receive well over 100 applicants. How can you stand out?

Do you customize/tweak your resume and cover letter for each? Do you at least have a few versions that will work for slightly different aspects? You may be electrical, but do you do design, project management, power substations, computer, electronics, high-voltage, low-voltage, data centers, UPS, generator, etc?

Have you tried an internship? Some are paid and might hire you.

Lastly, it is not what you know, but who you know. This is true and especially difficult for engineers.

Post your resume for us to review. Until we see the resume, this is all conjecture and speculation. Post the resume, we'll give you some ideas.

Also, are you applying job required clearance? Do you required sponsorship? getting a h1b visa nowadays is pretty hard. It used to be easier slightly ..but it's a 85k quota too.

didn't see your resume either..

p/s even though you have 8 years without PE is not exactly reflag ...no worry on that part.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back