Hello! I am looking for someone to critique my resume. Masters degree, graduating soon

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hello! I am approaching graduation in december with a M.Eng in Civil Engineering. I already have passed the FE, just looking for helpful comments from this community!

cheers

OK, I'll bite! We do this professionally for money, so my comments are going to be high order, but valuable for you. If you want in-depth revisions, then send a PM and we'll chat about fees.

1. Use an objective statement-- what is it that you wish to do?

2. I would delete the graduate GPA-- not significant at the graduate level

3. I would identify both leadership and communication strengths that you possess. This resume fails to identify that. That is what we are seeking today in new ELE engineers. We know that you have technical skills. It is the soft skills that many folks are lacking.

4. Use the "SO WHAT" test on each bullet-- Ask "SO WHAT:" on each bullet. If you cannot definitively answer that question, then the bullet is of no value.

5. Why should I hire you? Said another way, what do you bring to our firm? Where are the results of the work that you have done? I am seeking tangible results, with numbers, to sustain/justify the assertions that you cite. Let me give you an example for drill:

"Proficient with TOPCON GPS ............................ So What? Why is this important? How is that going to help our firm out?

" Managed base/sheet files and PDFs......................... So what? Why is this important?

I am looking for results-- describe results. This is a start-- however, to be successful, you need some more polish.

Tough? I don't think so, however, our clients that use us for this work are very happy with the final work product!! Rework and resubmit-- we'll help you.

I will add a few thoughts to Solomonb, but he has some sound advice.

I am unclear about the masters degree. There seems to be work in transportation, GIS, and surveying. Was there an emphasis, or subdiscipline, or was it generically a Masters in Civil Engineering?

What type of job do you want? Do you want to work as a transportation engineer, or a water resources engineer (as you noted you did some intern in that area)? Consider clarifying this point somewhat. Of course you can do that with a good cover letter as well, but you can specialize the resume to the type of job you want as well.

On a smaller note, I prefer to minimize the acronyms. You worked hard for that Bachelor's of Science in Civil Engineering, so write it out. Sure they know what BSCE is, but I personally would write it out. There are a few other acronyms in there like that.

Of course, keep in mind the resume just gets your foot in the door for an interview. Make sure you move beyond the resume, and work on some strategies to get the resume in the hands of decision makers so that you some interviews, and land a good job.

Firstly you just create resume according to template provided by job sites, once you created your resume read some article that will tell you how to make your resume effective recently i have created my resume using this article <link deleted> very good article.Thank you.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back