AASHTO Green Book 5th ed. vs 6th ed

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

micahferguson1

Reaction score
NCEES lists the 6th ed. (2011) of the AASHTO Green Book. Does anyone know if the 5th ed. would work? Are there any significant differences?

From a design standpoint, the 2004 is adequate (PA still uses this version). However, there were a lot of changes and if you were to get a qualitative question, there'd be the chance you would not be able to find it or it would not be in the 2004 edition. Likewise, I know some things did change that would impact quantitative question outcome. Check out this PDF (scroll down several pages)...

http://www2.apwa.net/Documents/Meetings/Handouts/Congress/6595.pdf

NCEES lists the 6th ed. (2011) of the AASHTO Green Book. Does anyone know if the 5th ed. would work? Are there any significant differences?

There are noticeable changes but not critically significant. My general advice is to try to get the latest edition of as many resources as you can. But, with that said, I'm sure we've all gone in with an outdated reference or two. If you were asking about the HCM, I'd say make sure you have the latest. Should you try to obtain the 6th ed GDHS? Probably. Will you be fine with the 5th? I'm sure you will.

Edit. I was typing while blg was posting. :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Hmm, you can't go wrong going with the latest though. I'm in this same conundrum. :p

Yah, the latest is obviously the best, but Im going to be broke after buying new editions of everything!

Based on the April 2014 test, I would make sure I had the latest edition. Taking the exam again cost more than a new manual. You could always turn around and sell it if you need to.

Back