Online Masters Program

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

apprentice

Reaction score
Hi Ladies/Gents,

Has anyone here successfully completed a masters program in engineering online? If yes, can you please share your experience? I plan on doing a Master in Power/Energy Systems online this fall or summer.

Your comments will be highly appreciated.

Thanks!

Isn't it going to be required by 2020 to have a Masters to get a PE license?
It seemed like they were going to want that, but I was reading recently and it looks like they are investigating some sort of mentoring program. Either way, a 4 year degree won't cut it soon.

Isn't it going to be required by 2020 to have a Masters to get a PE license?
It seemed like they were going to want that, but I was reading recently and it looks like they are investigating some sort of mentoring program. Either way, a 4 year degree won't cut it soon.
...and I think it's only in NCEES' model law/rule. The states would have to adopt the change as well.

I attempted an online master's course in Structural/Mechanics at NCSU...I stopped after 2 courses because I struggled mightily with it. I thought the way the information was presented via webcast was awesome and it allowed me to work on it when I could, but I found it difficult to get in contact with the professors/TAs when needed. Also, not being able to collaborate with other students made the coursework more difficult in my opinion. When I went to undergrad school, working closely with the professors and other students was a large part of the curriculum and it really helped my learning process.

This is just my opinion of online grad school. If you learn better on your own and have A LOT of time outside of work to commit to it, then it might work out a lot better for you!

Back