Has anyone taken the learnengineering.com class? Feedback appreciated.

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

billyluv

Reaction score
I'm trying to choose a prep course to take for the civil/construction PE exam. I'm a 3 time looser and have to wait until April 2015 to sit again. I took the NC State prep course last time but still fell short. I need some help!

Any feedback would be deeply appreciated.

"

I'm trying to choose a prep course to take for the civil/construction PE exam. I'm a 3 time looser and have to wait until April 2015 to sit again. I took the NC State prep course last time but still fell short. I need some help!

Any feedback would be deeply appreciated.
" I'm a 3 time looser " -- Sir, berating yourself like this is not going to help you any bit. I think you can probably try it in a different state if you want to appear sooner. And about a Civil - Construction course, I would suggest you go for the Testmasters course. My colleague had chosen this exact discipline, taken the test masters and passed on the first attempt. So I suggest you think about it.

What part of civil do you do? Job ? General civil?
@Road Guy; I've been out of school for 25 years which makes it tough. I work for the Railroad/ signal construction. Very few calculation or design work. Mostly field inspection. Took it twice under electrical/computer electronics. 1st time very poorly prepared. 2nd time came 10 questions short. Switched to civil/construction. still about 10 questions short. Either going to stay with construction or switching to geotech. My background is broad-range with the first part of my career heavy construction/ multistory construction as a project manager. The second half a combination of electrical/ electronics and construction. I hold a General contractor's, Mechanical and plumbing license in several states. I really did poorly in 3 catagories structural and temp structures. Mastering these 2 areas and maintaining my current exam knowledge should put me over the top. But, I do realize I need help. Thanks for your help or in-site/advice.

I think for some of us (boomers & Gen-x) we do better with classroom help and I think that's why I did so well after taking test masters.. I had been out only 8 years but I also took forever to graduate..

They will get you strong in the AM Sections including geotechnical / structures.....

Most of the am structures questions are destined to look hard but are really an easy question in disguise..

TM also allows / encourages the class to stay after class and work on problems together. Kind of like old school meeting in the library to figure out what the hell the calculus professor said... That was a huge Help for me....

Only part of TM that I was unhappy with was the person that taught transportation ws very weak on the subject (I could have winged it). I think he was a last minute fill in and compared to the other instructors he was pretty fat behind-luckily for me that was the area I didn't need much help in...

I personally would stay away from geotechnical unless you really have a good hand on it ...

billyluv,

Just to clarify - the learncivilengineering website does NOT offer a class. I do recommend an online class from MGI Management Institute, which is a low cost option with a lot of sample problems and a money back guarantee. It is very good, I have reviewed it. However, for you I would recommend going to an in person class from School of PE, PPI, or Testmasters. Use the material on my site and take the class. You definitely need to try something different with your study habits and preparation to get over the hump. You can do it though, and definitely don't switch disciplines again. Just commit and make sure to study the right material.

I think for some of us (boomers & Gen-x) we do better with classroom help and I think that's why I did so well after taking test masters.. I had been out only 8 years but I also took forever to graduate..

They will get you strong in the AM Sections including geotechnical / structures.....

Most of the am structures questions are destined to look hard but are really an easy question in disguise..

TM also allows / encourages the class to stay after class and work on problems together. Kind of like old school meeting in the library to figure out what the hell the calculus professor said... That was a huge Help for me....

Only part of TM that I was unhappy with was the person that taught transportation ws very weak on the subject (I could have winged it). I think he was a last minute fill in and compared to the other instructors he was pretty fat behind-luckily for me that was the area I didn't need much help in...

I personally would stay away from geotechnical unless you really have a good hand on it ...
Thanks Road Guy. I really appreciate your feedback and suggestion with Test Masters. Sounds like I need to stay with construction and grind it out.

billyluv,

Just to clarify - the learncivilengineering website does NOT offer a class. I do recommend an online class from MGI Management Institute, which is a low cost option with a lot of sample problems and a money back guarantee. It is very good, I have reviewed it. However, for you I would recommend going to an in person class from School of PE, PPI, or Testmasters. Use the material on my site and take the class. You definitely need to try something different with your study habits and preparation to get over the hump. You can do it though, and definitely don't switch disciplines again. Just commit and make sure to study the right material.
Thanks Mark! I defiantly like your site and sample questions. I've already started reviewing. I agree that I need a real-person class and change my study tactics. I spent a lot of time studying non exam material the last few times. I need direction and I need to stay focused on construction. Thanks for the help!

billyluv,

Thanks Mark! I defiantly like your site and sample questions. I've already started reviewing. I agree that I need a real-person class and change my study tactics. I spent a lot of time studying non exam material the last few times. I need direction and I need to stay focused on construction. Thanks for the help!
Looking further into learncivilengineering website: This is what I need. Strategy outline, study guides, defined areas of study and an App to help me keep committed! Thanks,

Your welcome...Stay committed and focused. You will be able to pass this exam. This little struggle will just make you a better Professional Engineer.

Back