Anyone fail MD depth, then took TFS depth?

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SNAPE/SMOTT PE

Wait, what?
Reaction score
I'm trying to determine if I should take the TFS depth next October. I failed MD, and I don't actually "do" machine design work. I was just better at those classes back in college, so that's what I chose.

Anyone fail MD, then took TFS and passed? Any insights on doing this?

Last edited by a moderator:
Smott,

From my prep class (School of PE) we had tons of folks that moved from Machine Design (the instructors said this is the toughest/broadest module) to either TFS or HVAC and I know most of them passed. It is doable I would suggest you buy the 6ms for fluids and a 2008 NCEES exam book for those subjects if you decide to make the jump.

Mike

Thanks Mike!

I have all three 6MS books, both 2001 and 2008 NCEES sample exams. I'm looking into if my company will pay for me to do SoPE.

What I'm concerned with is the fact that fluids was my worst subject in college. But if I take a review course, maybe I will better understand it.

I'm also wondering about good reference material for TFS depth...expanded property tables, etc. that I would need.

Smott,

From my prep class (School of PE) we had tons of folks that moved from Machine Design (the instructors said this is the toughest/broadest module) to either TFS or HVAC and I know most of them passed. It is doable I would suggest you buy the 6ms for fluids and a 2008 NCEES exam book for those subjects if you decide to make the jump.

Mike
I agree that MD is probably broader than the other depths. Keep in mind that NCEES probably adjusts the cut score differently for each depth. Does not mean they have to, but I would not be surprised if they did.

Go with your strengths. If it is TFS, then study those problems.

I have to say that SOPE saved my bacon. I know the morning subjects carried the day for me. The afternoon was brutal but because of the 6ms and the repetition if doing problems (I threw away 200 pages of paper with problems that I did this morning.

You can do it!

I'm also wondering about good reference material for TFS depth...expanded property tables, etc. that I would need.

I don't know what references you guys use for machine design, but I passed T&F depth and all I used was the MERM and NCEES sample exam. I did not feel like I was lacking any reference material.

I don't know what references you guys use for machine design, but I passed T&F depth and all I used was the MERM and NCEES sample exam. I did not feel like I was lacking any reference material.
Thanks! Good to know! I just wondered if there were any references that made things faster on this depth. Similar to how the unit conversions book makes converting easier.

Some people tabbed the hell out of their MERM. I'd rather use the extensive index they already created, so I printed out the index and put it in a three-ring binder. That way I could refer to this small binder of papers to get to the right section rather than flipping to the back of a huge book. That felt like a huge speed boost to me during the exam.

Some people tabbed the hell out of their MERM. I'd rather use the extensive index they already created, so I printed out the index and put it in a three-ring binder. That way I could refer to this small binder of papers to get to the right section rather than flipping to the back of a huge book. That felt like a huge speed boost to me during the exam.
Tabbed my book first time I took the exam, and didn't use them. I used the index instead, and can see how having it in a separate binder will be beneficial.

SMott, here's a good forum post discussing the Thermal/Fluids exam. I've been following what "MapuaTech" has recommended. Hope this is helpful:

http://engineerboards.com/?showtopic=19578

In my prep for the TF thus far I have actually used:

- MERM (of course)

- Bought all 3 SMS, used the TF one (it's very good)

- NCEES 2001, 2008 (haven't gotten to these yet)

- Steam Tables (I would not recommend the ASME one that's available, it's not particularly thorough)

- Lindeburg Conversion Book

Haven't taken the PE yet but I also have the MERM index printed separately and during studying I've found it to be immensely helpful. Also, as I worked through the SMS for TF, I found a few key words/formulas not listed in the index so I've written them in with the MERM page.

MapuaTech's prep is ridiculously comprehensive and time consuming. I'm convinced that if you prepare like that, you will probably ace the exam. Unfortunately, I didn't have that kind of time to study, so I had to be tactical.

Here's my most important advice - know the NCEES Sample Exam and bring it with you.

I've always assumed the 500 Lindeburg problems people refer to are the ones in the practice problems companion book that goes with the MERM.

Right now I'm going to follow the outline in MERM, reading each chapter then working the problems from the practice problems book associated with that chapter. Even if I have done the chapter before, I'm going to do it again.

SMott, here's a good forum post discussing the Thermal/Fluids exam. I've been following what "MapuaTech" has recommended. Hope this is helpful:

http://engineerboards.com/?showtopic=19578

In my prep for the TF thus far I have actually used:

- MERM (of course)

- Bought all 3 SMS, used the TF one (it's very good)

- NCEES 2001, 2008 (haven't gotten to these yet)

- Steam Tables (I would not recommend the ASME one that's available, it's not particularly thorough)

- Lindeburg Conversion Book
I have everything you have, except steam tables. Where can I get some good steam tables (which ones are good)?
I'm getting ready to start studying again next week. I'm not sure I can be as thorough as MapuaTech...would be nice to have that kind of time.

Even in the T&F depth, I did not need anything beyond what the MERM already had. The steam tables were adequate.

I felt like the MERM practice problems were an extraordinary waste of time. Problems typically took upwards of 20-30 minutes to solve, even if you're good. In my limited studying time, I'd rather spend those 30 minutes solving 3 problems than working on one problem where I have to look up the friction factor of a schedule 40 steel pipe, get the kinematic viscosity of water at whatever bullshit temperature they're giving me so that I can derive a Reynold's Number, then finally have the variables needed to solve for head loss in a pipe.

I was seriously annoyed going through the practice problems in the MERM.

I agree with Bosco. The MERM is incredibly intensive and forces you to look up every value. The SMS does a much better job with its problems. Many of the SMS problems still require looking up viscosity, friction factor at specific conditions but it's not anywhere as bad. I haven't gotten to the NCEES practice yet so I can't opine on it.

Back