If you Failed!

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Road Guy

Reaction score
Go out, have a beer or two or 20 this weekend, take 2 weeks off from studying max, and then get back at it! Soon!

It happens to the best of us (it happened to yours truly) I know what it feels like..

Get pissed off and then get over it and get back to work / Studying!

well leave the light on for you....

Well. Thanks. But I guess people are telling to try harder next time. Now I don't know how to do that.

Well. Thanks. But I guess people are telling to try harder next time. Now I don't know how to do that.
ok this is what i learnt from my EIT exam , i passed third time, but u wont believe third time when i was preparing i had no extra book, i used the same material as i did for second and first time, just the difference was i studied thoroughly and sincerely !

take my words , take break for two. forget about everything and get back to study, and do as much as practice sample test as u can. trust me will pass,

its not ROCKET Science. trust me, u can do it, trust me.

i hanvt gotten my result but i have already made my mind up , i am going to do the same:) so enjoy your long weekend.

follow the same routine and add more practice problems , that all u gotta do.

RELAX ! RELAX AND RELAX,,,,,,, after a week u wont even feel like u already gave it a shot. so this piss off feeling is temporary. dont let it get into your head.

good luck

Thank you Sir. I know that is the case, but for some reason I am just thinking if I knew I were to fail, God I wouldn't have tied to hard. I am just laughing silly out here.

And trust me I am laughing.

Itinerant, I believe trying a new angle would be helpful. If you didn't take a refresher class last time, maybe try it this next time. I took School of PE and it rocked, particularly if you need help on the morning questions.

Then alter how you studied. Don't do the same thing you did last time. Maybe ask some people on the board how to study the areas that you need more help effectively. The test is meant to be passable. If you target the right areas in the right ways you'll make it!

Thank you Sir. I know that is the case, but for some reason I am just thinking if I knew I were to fail, God I wouldn't have tied to hard. I am just laughing silly out here.

And trust me I am laughing.
NO, u have to try for April ,to get prepared for October , its a positive thing, trying is half work done. so feel good about it, u have to know weakness somewhere so , knock them out ! :)

Personally when I was preparing I was studying like crazy from the CERM. Then I took the School of PE and realized I wasn't focused on the right material. It helped a lot.

Find older practice tests like older versions of the study material.

Find whats common.

It seemed the AM was not bad, but the PM exam you needed to know your core topics. Know it like the back of your hand.

There is probably somewhere around 30 core type of questions they will ask. Those practice tests usually have most of those core questions and a few oddballs.

IF you don't know those basic questions down pat, the dozen or so tougher ones you will not have time to give a good answer.

You don't need to know the whole book, but another good thing to know is how to apply every table in the back of the book to a practical question.

I also think you shouldn't spend much time studying from the CERM. I had four books of example problems and only used the CERM as a reference. All I can say is, work as many example problems as you can. Refer to the test outline that the NCEES gives you and make sure you've done examples pertaining to each topic. I took the PE 3 times before passing and the third time I brought less reference material with me and but the stuff I did take it was organized and tabbed.

Find older practice tests like older versions of the study material.

Find whats common.

It seemed the AM was not bad, but the PM exam you needed to know your core topics. Know it like the back of your hand.

There is probably somewhere around 30 core type of questions they will ask. Those practice tests usually have most of those core questions and a few oddballs.

IF you don't know those basic questions down pat, the dozen or so tougher ones you will not have time to give a good answer.

You don't need to know the whole book, but another good thing to know is how to apply every table in the back of the book to a practical question.

I also think you shouldn't spend much time studying from the CERM. I had four books of example problems and only used the CERM as a reference. All I can say is, work as many example problems as you can. Refer to the test outline that the NCEES gives you and make sure you've done examples pertaining to each topic. I took the PE 3 times before passing and the third time I brought less reference material with me and but the stuff I did take it was organized and tabbed.
These are both very good suggestions and it is EXACTLY what I did on my third try when I passed. Amazon sells some of the older/used practice problem books which will be helpful. Now you've seen the exam and there are no more surprises. Def. spend time looking at the test outline from the NCEES and compare it to your memory of the exam. See if you can recall any kind of patterns between both. Good luck. Like I, and others have said it happens to the best of us. I failed 2x before finally passing. I have a colleague (not on this board for some reason) who took it 7x before finally passing.

Don't Ever Give Up!!!!!!

Take it from Myself and Mike! It took me 3 tries as well!

Let me tell you something...when you do finally get that passing score; oh man what a feeling! Take a couple weeks, hell even a month, get your head straight and start again.

I took a couple weeks completely off, then spent another 2 or 3 weeks organizing, planning, and scheduling exactly how i was going to study.

Dust yourself off and try again, try again.

As a repeater I will say get back on that horse. Taking a year or two or three! off does absolutely no good!!! Your brain just get more cobwebs and staying up studying till 1 AM is impossible.

I got my results a few hours ago. Check is already in the mail for the October exam, and my info has been sent to School of PE to retake their class. Last round gave me a good foundation, I was just too dang slow on the exam day. I'm ready to kick some ass in October.

(Brave words from someone who is considering going home from work and saying to hell with today!)

go home and take a long weekend. I left work early all three times. twice when i failed and once when i passed.

hard to focus on work either way.

I have a question. Can't figure where to post it so will do it here.

1. I took the Civil- structures afternoon session and did bad on it. I mean pretty bad. So next time when I take the test would it be a good option to register for structures again or should I just switch to something else.

only answer i can give to that is to take whatever you are most familiar and comfortable with. Maybe what you practice daily.

go home and take a long weekend. I left work early all three times. twice when i failed and once when i passed.

hard to focus on work either way.

It really is. Now that the initial sting of the disappointment has faded a little, I think I can probably stick around for the work day. There was a little while there that I was decently afraid that my coworkers might see me cry if too many people insisted on asking me about it. I did manage to give a smile and a "congrats!" to the two who passed, though there is a small, very selfish part of me that wishes I hadn't been the only one of the three of us to have to go back in October. Thankfully, the only people who have asked about it here at work were the other two who took the exam. I know a couple of other folks overheard our very awkward conversation where I was all, "No biggie, dude! I'll try again in the fall! Congrats to you, though!" and thankfully the other folks picked up on how uncomfortable the conversation was and made the decision to not come participate in the awkward.

My biggest concern now is that I may punch the next person who gives me the sad, sort of uncomfortable-looking eyes and goes, "Oh, well, you'll get it next time!" I understand they're just trying to be nice, and I'd probably say the exact same thing in their position, but I just don't wanna hear it right now, you know? That's actually the #1 reason I haven't really told many people yet. My patience is a bit thin right now and I'd rather not visibly sneer at anyone (especially knowing I don't really mean it, I'm just bummed).

^^^^ Anything, anyone says right now is not going to comfort you. And will be so for a long time. Probably accepting it that you have to go back will help come back to reality.

I am still grappling to reconcile with the failure. But can't hold it against others. It was a fight and they won and we lost. Just pick up and get ready for the next time.

And trust me I have had a dry mouth of disappointment since yesterday afternoon, but eventually will look forward to the next time.

Yeah, I hear ya. My re-exam application is already in the mail.

I'm pretty sure the only thing that anyone could say/do right now that would be at all "correct" would be, "That sucks. Here have a beer," and then let me stew in my cranky silence as I process the notion of spending all my free time studying again.

("Correct" is in quotes because I don't actually expect anyone to read my mind and know that's what I want, so I'm not going to hold it against any well-meaning person if they do something different.)

Back