Passing Score

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DandyDon

Reaction score
I've seen alot of jokes and comments about the passing score being 56/80 questions correct but I wanted to pass along that of all the PE's I've talked to that have passed in the last 10 years, I've never heard of anyone failing the civil PE that scored below 53/80.Someone may prove me wrong but I believe this to be true.

Also, happy Friday everyone.

I think he means that he has never heard of a failing score that was higher than 53. Of course, the actually cutoff score changes every time, but I would say that it is reasonable to believe that the score usually falls somewhere in the 50s. Getting more specific than that is silliness.

Not knowing th actuall cut is a good thing. We don't need people debating how good an engineer are you if the question needs to be legally answered. This also removes liability from NCEES and others.

Keep in mind you need to pass 2 tests. The AM and PM separately.

Likely, each test cut score is typically mid to high 50's in percentage. So, thats probably 22 to 24 out of 40 questions.

They aim for 70%, then my guess is they find out why a larger percentage of people didn't get this answer right, then find a legitmate or plausible reason. Then the lower the bar by that question. Or chaulk up a few expert bonus qeustions built in the test. You get that qeustion right, it onlty helps you even more.

For my test, there was nothing but mainstream elementary topic questions. I would think it would be hard for them to find that many questions to throw out or disqualify. I can think of maybe 2 or 3 questions that I knew, but had a quirky twist to them to distract you. however, they were still elementary topic questions. They just tricked you into thinking you needed more things than you did. Like to whether you knew to not include a value for a process because it was only valid for start-up for example.

Sorry I should've clarified myself, of all failing examinees I've talked to,, no one scored a 53 and above and failed.

According to my diagnostic, I scored a raw score of 56/80 and failed this last test.

it would be interesting to hear some scores from Mechanical test takers.

Now I am interested to see my score.........hmmm.

Depending on who reports from TX, you will be able to get the cut score within 2-3 pts.

You guys failed with a 56/80? Wow. 70% is failing??
I would love to see a copy of those results!
OK

Score.PNG

Back