Why the wait seems intolerable

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sapper PE LS

Aspiring Couch Potato
Reaction score
So, when I took the FE back in April of 2000, I just took it and moved on. I kind of sort of thought, ah, well, I don't know if I passed or failed, but whatever, time to move on, get other things done. I didn't dwell on the wait at all. I didn't even think about the wait. It was just a test I took that I didn't yet have results for. Then one day I opened my mail and saw that I had failed. ****. Oh well, time to start studying again. So, I did, and I took it again, and I then didn't think about it until December when I got the results in the mail. I didn't dwell on it, ever. It was a non-issue. It was just something I took, and eventually would find out how I did on it.

When I took the PE exam, the wait was excruciating. It wasn't that there was any difference in the process or the length of time that it took to get results. But there was one thing that was absolutely different. My access to information. While there was certainly an internet website back in 2000 for NCEES I'm sure, I didn't know about it. I didn't think to find a message board to talk to other test takers about the wait. I just lived my life. By the time I took the PE in 2006, the internet was in full force with message boards and websites and instant access to information. The wait became intolerable because every other piece of information in life now came so much quicker. Why did we have to wait for this information when technology had advanced? It didn't make any sense. Of course, it did make sense if you knew how NCEES grades the tests, but at the time, it was just annoying and frustrating.

That said, in light of the technological advances the results do come out sooner than they used to. I've mentioned before that my results for the PE were nearly 70 days, my results for the FE were easily that much, but I don't really remember because I didn't care. Results now days almost half that time for the PE and 1/5th of that time for the FE with CBT.

So when you start getting frustrated about how long you have to wait, remember, the process doesn't change to ensure accurate results regardless of how technology advances. They still have to wait for people to review the problems, correct errors, etc. That takes time. And if you think we have it bad, consider the bar exam or the medical boards. Those take longer.

Okay, those are my thoughts. Now I've got to go meet with the client.

I took EIT in 98 & I just remember leaving the exam site, going to McDonald's, and then one day getting a letter that I had passed ...

A "thin envelope" mind you ;)

I was also still in college when I took it so I think that helped take my mind off of it....

Yeah, I am certainly glad it does not take as long as it used to. If it took 2-3 months to get results this time around, I think I would die. 5-10 years from now, they will probably find a way to get PE results out as quick as FE results and then I will be super jealous of those people that receive them so quick. Oh well.

I took the EIT in 2008 and passed. I did not think it was that hard and it probably helped that all the school knowledge was so fresh in my mind.

After taking my PMP (project management professional) test last fall and getting the answers in 5 minutes, this wait seems glacial. Doesn't help that I care a LOT more about my PE than my PMP (I had never even heard of it until new management came in and started campaigning for us all to get one).

Waiting for results that they tell you will take 10 to 12 weeks is tough...but when you know from past experiences (based on the historical data from this site) that the time is less than 10 to 12 weeks it gets frustrating because of the boilerplate response of 10 to 12 weeks that is clearly outdated and not applicable anymore. At that point it makes me believe that the entity that issues that timeline views us as children that aren't able to understand the truth.

However when the agency tells you that you're results will be issued on or before May 9....and here it is May 14....that's when you just get angry.

For some of us, these test results equal more pay or even a better job...so the longer they take, the longer it is until I get that pay increase.

Try not to get your panties in a wad. It doesn't help. Just take a chill pill and wait!

I'm anxious for my PE results and I haven't even taken the exam yet.

Waiting for results that they tell you will take 10 to 12 weeks is tough...but when you know from past experiences (based on the historical data from this site) that the time is less than 10 to 12 weeks it gets frustrating because of the boilerplate response of 10 to 12 weeks that is clearly outdated and not applicable anymore. At that point it makes me believe that the entity that issues that timeline views us as children that aren't able to understand the truth.

However when the agency tells you that you're results will be issued on or before May 9....and here it is May 14....that's when you just get angry.

For some of us, these test results equal more pay or even a better job...so the longer they take, the longer it is until I get that pay increase.

What it reminds me of is shipping speeds. When I order something online I notice sometimes that the standard shipping estimate might be 12-18 days. But It NEVER takes 12-18 days to arrive, it's usually more like 5 business days at the latest. If it ever took more than 18 days I would call on the 19th day with many WTF questions. Like shipping carriers, I think that it's basically NCEES trying to cover themselves from complaints. If the results come out before the "estimated range" no one really gives a ****, but if it ever took one day longer than the 8-10 weeks I can only imagine the amount of calls/complaints they would receive.

I do agree that technology and instant access to information has made us more impatient, but I don't necessarily think that's why the wait for the PE is so difficult.

For many Engineers, it's a very big deal. They've had to gain the appropriate experience, meet all the requirements, and spend months preparing for it. In college, the FE is just another test. But you take the PE when you have a career. You've invested a lot into it. In some cases you need it to advance your career (or even keep your job). That's what made the wait extremely difficult for me.

I do agree that technology and instant access to information has made us more impatient, but I don't necessarily think that's why the wait for the PE is so difficult.

For many Engineers, it's a very big deal. They've had to gain the appropriate experience, meet all the requirements, and spend months preparing for it. In college, the FE is just another test. But you take the PE when you have a career. You've invested a lot into it. In some cases you need it to advance your career (or even keep your job). That's what made the wait extremely difficult for me.
Agreed. As Sapper mentioned above, I took the FE in college and didn't think much about it until the certificate showed up in the mail. Now, my career has kind of hit a wall until I get the PE. I can't advance any further without it. My current title is Senior PM, and I've been told that if I get my PE, then I'll have a Dept Head title. So yeah, it's a big deal.

Hello Everyone,

I have been reading this forum pretty regularly, but never thought of registering and joining the fun. Well, I did today as this thread specifically twisted something inside me. Now, about the topic, I am an Indian (from country India) and am working here on a visa for the last 6 and half years. Because of my visa requirements, there are a lot of companies which think a 100 times more before even asking me to interview with them and add to that I didn't have a PE which made it even more difficult. I don't really know how many jobs I have seen pass me because of these two hurdles. So getting a PE is something I could work on and which I did, and God is my witness (I hope he is) the time, effort and the hours I spent to prepare for it. So as the time gets close I am hopeful. Somehow I am so resigned to the fact that any job I apply to even though I fit the bill pretty well, I wont be hired. So the wait is truly intolerable, but somehow that is the thing on our hands. And as Jeffrey Archer puts it , "Patience is an assassins best weapon". And as I put it "Patience is something engineers make money out of".

well said.

ha my wife and i have grown intolerant of tv commercials, it's a pain if we can't fast forward them. it's a wonky world.

Back