Civil Morning References

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kennyb04

Reaction score
I'm planning to take the Civil Structural exam in October. My background is in Architectural Engineering with a lot of structural emphasis. Eventually I would like to take the SE but would like to go with the PE first. Since I did not have much civil background (watershed, hydrolics, transportation, etc.) what references should I look at. I plan to get the CERM but are there some references I could study in addition to the CERM? Maybe to learn the subjects well enough for the exam and then maybe leave those books at home and just use the CERM for quick reference?

Even if I have not had those subjects before? Will I actually be able to learn those subjects well enough for the exam or is the CERM more of a quick reference for people who have already had those subjucts?

Even if I have not had those subjects before? Will I actually be able to learn those subjects well enough for the exam or is the CERM more of a quick reference for people who have already had those subjucts?
I haven't taken the PE exam yet so take my opinion as you want.

From what I have read, the CERN will not "teach" you anything. Doing practice problems and practice tests while using the CERN as your reference may "teach" you though.

Purchase some sample examples. Take one or two right away and find your weak spots and also get a feel for what you will see for problems. You will see from the practice exams a theme develop for each of the morning breadth sections.

The CERM is way more thorough than just a "quick reference", I doubt you would have the time or interest to learn new subjects in a greater level of detail than is provided by the CERM.

I see what you mean. Let me rephrase my reply to "CERM or AI1 is all you'll need during the AM exam". But what should you study from? Well, I still think that these two books might be all you need to learn the subject matter. But definitely get as many practice exam questions as you can, like others have said (although I am not sure you should rely on practice problems to 'teach' you?). In your case, maybe it would make sense to take a review class?

I haven't taken the PE exam yet so take my opinion as you want.

From what I have read, the CERN will not "teach" you anything. Doing practice problems and practice tests while using the CERN as your reference may "teach" you though.

I have heard this before. I disagree though. The CERM is not just a collection of formulas, charts, and tables, only meant for look-up. There is discussion and explanation for many/most exam topics. It can "teach". Sometimes it teaches too much! There are lots of background topics in the CERM for instance not tested directly on the exam. Just skip those.

Purchase some sample examples. Take one or two right away and find your weak spots and also get a feel for what you will see for problems. You will see from the practice exams a theme develop for each of the morning breadth sections.

I always found this to be a chicken and egg. Take the exams before any studying to i.d. your weak points and then know what to study? But should you really "waste" an exam if you have done no studying at all and 90% of the topics are your weak spot because you haven't studied yet? Hmm....

The CERM is way more thorough than just a "quick reference", I doubt you would have the time or interest to learn new subjects in a greater level of detail than is provided by the CERM.

Agree.

My thought was; if you take them early on, maybe 3 to 4 months out then dont open them again, you could retake them as a warm exam before the big date.

But your point is taken, there are only so many practice exams out there.

Appearing for the exams is a great decision. But you should be aware that civil engineering and structural engineering are bit two differernt fields. But a combine paper means lots of tactical questions for which you need to practice hard. There are many sample papers available for help.

same architectural engineering background with structural focus. take my advice, go take the SE instead of CE structural. your education has already cover what you need to be a SE.

Given your background, it appears that you would like to allocate more of your time to study for the Breadth exam. As others have suggested, the CERM has some excellent information but can be time consuming to review all of the chapters, and so taking a couple sample exams will assist in assessing your strengths and weaknesses. By taking practice exams, you can also tab appropriate material along the way, such as relevant tables, charts, and figures. Many people rely on obtaining a majority of their points from the AM session, since the problems/questions are slightly easier.

I would highly recommend developing a study plan. Understanding the exam format and studying accordingly will prevent any wasted time in researching or organizing material that is outside the scope of the required knowledge areas.

Good luck.

Last edited by a moderator:
Given your background, it appears that you would like to allocate more of your time to study for the Breadth exam. As others have suggested, the CERM has some excellent information but can be time consuming to review all of the chapters, and so taking a couple sample exams will assist in assessing your strengths and weaknesses. By taking practice exams, you can also tab appropriate material along the way, such as relevant tables, charts, and figures. Many people rely on obtaining a majority of their points from the AM session, since the problems/questions are slightly easier.

I would highly recommend developing a study plan. Understanding the exam format and studying accordingly will prevent any wasted time in researching or organizing material that is outside the scope of the required knowledge areas.

Good luck.

I wouldn't necessarily say that the AM questions are easier (for everyone). Everyone is different. I found them to be about equal. In fact, I prefer Transpo type questions way more than my weaker topics like Structural or Environmental so, in that sense, I found the PM easier. In Oct 2010 when I studied primarily for the CA Survey but took the 8hr as well (one cost allowed you to take one or all 3 exams back then), I scored a 26 in the AM and 27 in the PM. I then studied for and passed the 8hr the following April '11 where, again, I found the AM and PM to be about the same level of difficulty. My suggestion is to study as if you are trying to nail both AM and PM.

Back