April 2014 Pencil Color

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sapper PE LS

Aspiring Couch Potato
Reaction score
Mine was:

photo_zps4e342e58.jpg

Ours (NJ) was black as well; not sure if it varies by state. At the end I was surprised they suggested we could take them, it was almost anti-climactic that I didn't have to sneak it out mission impossible style.

red was my passing color. I have it hanging along with the exam day sheet from the NCEES

Seriously don't remember mechanical pencils for FE, took that ten years ago in '04. Thought I had remembered getting regular old wood/graphite pencil and remember turning it in after exam. But my memory could be fuzzy.

I honestly can't remember whether they gave us pencils in 2000 when I took the EIT or not, but I am pretty sure my first PE attempt was red, my second attempt was blue, and I think my FS was green (maybe?). None of those are still around, they've long since been lost. But I have my black one, and it'll get lost someday too.

Took the test in Dallas/Fort Worth. At the very end of the 8 hrs, the main proctor lady comes up and says that no one is allowed to even take the pencils. This was pretty frustrating. I just shook my head as I thought about dropping $350 to take the test and I can't even keep the pathetic pencil. I figured atleast a few people would disregard what she said and take it anyway, but surprisingly when I was walking out I noticed nobody wanted to roll those dice.. I wouldn't be surprised to see NCEES invalidating some poor guy/gals test because they took the pencil..

^ I did just that after my examination. No where in the candidate agreement I signed did it indicate my results would be invalidated by keeping the NCEES pencil. LOL

And at the Houston site, we were told to take them. Do not leave them, that if you didn't want it throw it away.

I don't recall anybody saying anything one way or the other about the pencil in Austin. I definitely walked out with mine. It clearly wasn't prohibited and it's not like they're going to use a pencil that says "April 2014" again.

Yeah, I don't get why some test centers say "NO, DO NOT TAKE THE PENCIL!" I've taken my pencil every time. But it's never been an issue, nobody could care less whether you could take it or not, it was just like, turn in your exam and leave the room... nobody said a thing about the pencils and like Kfox said, there was nothing in the NCEES instructions that said anything about exams being invalidated. That said, this last time, for the PS, I actually did ask the proctor out of courtesy since there were so few of us in the room and I didn't want to do anything wrong. She just nodded and said, "yeah, that's fine".

Back