How many tries before passing?

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mjco04

Reaction score
Soooo. I'd like to know what discipline and how many times did you have to take the PE before passing! GO!

Kinda third try, kinda first try.

Oct '10 studied only for CA-Survey but took all three exams (they used to be one price for all three). Passed CA-Survey, "failed" 8Hr (Transpo), "failed" CA-Seismic

Apr '11 studied only for 8Hr (Transpo) but also took CA-Seismic. Passed 8Hr, failed CA-Seismic

Oct '11 studied only for and took only CA-Seismic. Passed CA-Seismic

One & done.

Think about what you would do differently if you found out you failed, and do those things the first time around, don't try to skimp. The time/effort/money just isn't worth trying to figure out what the minimum you need to do. For me it was spend the money for a prep class and getting a hotel room the night before at the hotel the exam is offered at.

I am not sure how useful this thread is. I have a strong suspicion the replies to this thread are not representative of the general examinee population. I believe that more often than not, if someone took, say, four or more times to pass (and yes they are certainly out there), they simply won’t reply to this thread.

• Mechanical - Thermal Fluids, October 2009, passed 1st try.

Electrical - Power, April 2011, passed 1st try.
Civil - Construction 8 hour, October 2013, passed 1st try.
Civil - CA Seismic principles, April 2014, awaiting results of 1st attempt
Civil - CA Surveying principles, April 2014, awaiting results of 1st attempt

Back