Game of Thrones ! (HBO Mini Series) Spoilers......

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ready for it! Not sure I want anyone dead right out of the gate, though.

Read the books, already knows what happens...

But I'm still excited for season 4.

I know he probably doesnt die, but I'd like to see that (guy who "sacked" winterfell) lose his head.. but sadly I think he will be around a while....

I hope Walder Frey experiences a slow painful death. And then one or all three of the dragons completely level his castle.

Though I probably won't be able to watch any episodes until after this semester of grad school. :(

Reading the books = cheating

why was Theon living with the starks to begin with? I never could figure that out?

He was their ward. Basically he was a hostage to ensure his dad, Balon Grayjoy, stayed loyal to the north and remained a bannerman to House Stark.

This is also why they immediately went after the north once Theon was "let free", although Robb let him free in hopes that Theon would bring the fleet of the Greyjoy house to their side of the war.

Last edited by a moderator:
I read all the books so far too, but I did see an article saying that they will begin to diverge from the books more this season than in the past. I'm sure the major plot points, aka deaths, will be there but sounds like it will start to be harder to know whats coming based on the books.

I hope Walder Frey experiences a slow painful death.
Agreed.

Reading the books = cheating
I needed to read the books to understand who was who. I also had to watch the first episode when I was about 1/2 way through the book to put faces to the names.

If you had a hard time keeping names straight with the LOTR books, you'll never get through GoT without help. The last 20 pages of each of the 5 books released so far have family trees in them so you can keep track of how everyone is tied to each other.

I read all the books so far too, but I did see an article saying that they will begin to diverge from the books more this season than in the past. I'm sure the major plot points, aka deaths, will be there but sounds like it will start to be harder to know whats coming based on the books.
I've heard the same.

The way I understand it is that the books are the original telling of the story, and the TV show is how he would have done it if he could do it over. They have a lot of parallels, and obviously a lot of things have to be cut for the sake of TV time constraints.

The stuff between Bolton and Grayjoy isn't even revealed until the 5th book, but because of the way the books are laid out, it had to be shown with season 3.

So from a spoiler perspective, I'm assuming you don't want me saying anything beyond what has been shown on TV, right?

Books 1-3 were really good. I couldn't put them down and flew through them. At least up to the Red Wedding, which is more or less where season 3 ended. I really didn't want to read after that, it was a HUGE buzzkill in the book. A few days later I finally finished that one (and the storyline did get better).

However, books 4 and 5 are really hard to get through. Because so many of the characters are scattered (or dead), they start introducing a TON of new characters. Books 4 and 5 are actually concurrently running storylines, where 4 covers Kings Landing and the areas around it, and 5 covers everything else. Once you get to page ~700 in book 5, the storylines merge back together again.

The hard part with all of this is the fact that George RR Martin takes 6+ years to write a book, and there are reports to not expect book 6 until "after 2015", so there is a very good chance that the HBO series will catch up to the books before the 7th book is done (there's only going to be 7 in the series).

I liked books 4 and 5 but all the new characters made it hard especially when all of a sudden a character from an earlier book comes back and you recognize the name but can't remember who they are. By the time book 6 comes out I'll have forgotten so much from the fist 5 it will be hard to follow I'm guessing.

I hope Martin survives long enough to finish the series. Not being grim, but he doesn't strike me as an image of health and he is older and writes very slow.

The stuff that goes on & on (book-wise) in that sewer of a land Daenerys is in gets (got) real old with me. Is like quit pissin around, dragon up & reclaim your friggin kingdom already!

My sis who's also a published author thinks Martin's just got a big old case of writer's block going on - too many balls in the air, and no idea how / what to do now...

The stuff that goes on & on (book-wise) in that sewer of a land Daenerys is in gets (got) real old with me. Is like quit pissin around, dragon up & reclaim your friggin kingdom already!

My sis who's also a published author thinks Martin's just got a big old case of writer's block going on - too many balls in the air, and no idea how / what to do now...
I saw on his website all the projects he is working on. No wonder it takes 5+ years to write a book...

Back