Engineer Boards
​ ​
FLBuff PE

EB Cycling Club

Yes, I do ride clipped in/clipless (stupidest name ever). I was lucky my shoes came unclipped or I could have been looking at additional injuries. It all happened so fast, that I'm not sure how I got them unclipped, but I'm glad I did!

2 hours ago, squaretaper PE said:

Glad to hear you're OK @leggo PE!!!

x2! Yikes!

• Like 1

Whoa, glass you are ok @leggo PE!!!

If that happened to me, I think I would most likely take the bus to work for a while.

• Like 1

If I'm being honest, I'll probably be riding again later this week assuming my bike is fixed! But I'll be busing tonight, and probably tomorrow assuming they need to keep my bike overnight.

4 hours ago, leggo PE said:

Yes, I do ride clipped in/clipless (stupidest name ever). I was lucky my shoes came unclipped or I could have been looking at additional injuries. It all happened so fast, that I'm not sure how I got them unclipped, but I'm glad I did!

I have wrecked twice with clipless pedals (neither were very serious), and my shoes unclipped without me thinking about them both times.  I think the act of wrecking makes your feet turn enough to unclip without you having to consciously do it.

Glad you made it through (relatively) unscathed.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, wilheldp_PE said:

I have wrecked twice with clipless pedals (neither were very serious), and my shoes unclipped without me thinking about them both times.  I think the act of wrecking makes your feet turn enough to unclip without you having to consciously do it.

Glad you made it through (relatively) unscathed.

Yep, I figured it's somewhat akin to what ski boots do when you crash. But probably takes less force to unclip them.

Glad you weren't injured badly leggo! Any word on your bike?

• Like 1

Sounds like you guys need to follow my coworkers advice - "nobody ever got hurt laying on their couch."

• Haha 2

31 minutes ago, Ble_PE said:

Glad you weren't injured badly leggo!

x2

• Like 1

I took my bike to my bike shop after work today, and they're going to do a crash estimate in which they'll thoroughly check the bike for anything that might have been affected by the crash. At the very least, my front fork is bent. Hopefully nothing's wrong with the frame. Should get word some time today.

The bike guy also mentioned that I should check my helmet for cracks on the outside and compressed foam on the inside, because sometimes you can't see cracks but if the inside foam is compressed, the helmet is compromised. For some reason, this hadn't even occurred to me as something I should do. Well, I get back in the car, check my helmet, and sure enough, there's an impaled crack near the front right temple of the helmet. So yep, of course I hit my head! So now I'm on concussion protocol for the next few days/weeks. I don't specifically remember hitting my head, but I think that's because everything happened so fast. Thank goodness I'm a smart person who DOES wear a helmet. Otherwise, I might not be here writing this right now.

My cracked helmet went in the trash, and now I get to get a new one! I think I'm just going to get the same one in a different color. Jazz things up a bit.

But people, I think you all do, but here's a reminder... WEAR YOUR HELMETS!

• Like 6

Glad you're ok Leggo... I almost asked about your helmet yesterday.  It's not something to fool around with.  I have a coworker whose son was warming up for bike race, crashed into a pedestrian and died.  Even falling off your bike at 15+ miles an hour can be fatal.

• Like 1
  • Sad 2

1 hour ago, leggo PE said:

I took my bike to my bike shop after work today, and they're going to do a crash estimate in which they'll thoroughly check the bike for anything that might have been affected by the crash. At the very least, my front fork is bent. Hopefully nothing's wrong with the frame. Should get word some time today.

The bike guy also mentioned that I should check my helmet for cracks on the outside and compressed foam on the inside, because sometimes you can't see cracks but if the inside foam is compressed, the helmet is compromised. For some reason, this hadn't even occurred to me as something I should do. Well, I get back in the car, check my helmet, and sure enough, there's an impaled crack near the front right temple of the helmet. So yep, of course I hit my head! So now I'm on concussion protocol for the next few days/weeks. I don't specifically remember hitting my head, but I think that's because everything happened so fast. Thank goodness I'm a smart person who DOES wear a helmet. Otherwise, I might not be here writing this right now.

My cracked helmet went in the trash, and now I get to get a new one! I think I'm just going to get the same one in a different color. Jazz things up a bit.

But people, I think you all do, but here's a reminder... WEAR YOUR HELMETS!

I highly, highly recommend Specialized helmets. They are one of the few bicycle helmet makers who voluntarily send samples to destroyed at the Snell Foundation testing lab. I have a friend from engineering school who worked at the testing lab and gave me a tour once. They really, REALLY destroy the helmets.

Also good call on replacing the helmet. Even with a small tumble, I always recommend people to just replace it. All your expensive engineering noggins are not with cheaping out on! :rotflmao:

FWIW, I was RV'd (broke the side view mirror off) in Davis, CA, one of America's most "bike friendly" cities. Helmet saved my life for sure.

25 minutes ago, squaretaper PE said:

FWIW, I was RV'd (broke the side view mirror off) in Davis, CA, one of America's most "bike friendly" cities. Helmet saved my life for sure.

Oof!

So you're saying it's probably high time I purchase a helmet then??? :dunno:

• Confused 1
  • fudgey 1

26 minutes ago, knight1fox3 said:

So you're saying it's probably high time I purchase a helmet then??? :dunno:

Even if you conked out, how could we tell the difference?

• Haha 2

My theory is if you crash, and your helmet hits the pavement, replace it.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, FLBuff PE said:

This was the same guidance provided by the instructor during my motorcycle training course.

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, FLBuff PE said:

Yep, this will be my M.O. from here on out. I'd never crashed and had my head hit anything before.

I imagine part of the reason I didn't immediately think of this is because I didn't realize I'd hit my head, and it definitely hit the bus, not the ground. I was basically pushed into the wheelwell of the bus, ending up with significant bruises on my inner right forearm and both of my thighs, minimal injury otherwise that I can tell.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, leggo PE said:

Yep, this will be my M.O. from here on out. I'd never crashed and had my head hit anything before.

I imagine part of the reason I didn't immediately think of this is because I didn't realize I'd hit my head, and it definitely hit the bus, not the ground. I was basically pushed into the wheelwell of the bus, ending up with significant bruises on my inner right forearm and both of my thighs, minimal injury otherwise that I can tell.

@leggo PE Dang, you are unkillable!

Is your bike frame steel or aluminum? You might have to watch out for cracks either way, but steel can take more of a beating.

Steel all the way, baby!

I'm fairly sure my bike shop is going to check the frame closely. They're going to check frame alignment, too. They didn't have time to do the check yesterday and are closed today, so hopefully I'll get word tomorrow.

Well damn, the estimate came back and is more than double what I was expecting it to be. I think I can take a thing or two off of it (they said my seat is scuffed, but I don't think that was from the accident and if it's what I'm thinking of, that'd save me about 10% of the cost -- Brookes saddle, baby!). I'm having my fiance look it over. I don't think they're being overly conservative about it, but I need to talk with them about it (probably in person) so they can explain everything to me better than an itemized invoice can.

I guess it turns out the front of the bike has a lot of important stuff??

• fudgey 1

15 hours ago, leggo PE said:

Well damn, the estimate came back and is more than double what I was expecting it to be. I think I can take a thing or two off of it (they said my seat is scuffed, but I don't think that was from the accident and if it's what I'm thinking of, that'd save me about 10% of the cost -- Brookes saddle, baby!). I'm having my fiance look it over. I don't think they're being overly conservative about it, but I need to talk with them about it (probably in person) so they can explain everything to me better than an itemized invoice can.

I guess it turns out the front of the bike has a lot of important stuff??

That's a sweet saddle! Sorry the estimate is more than you were thinking, but this is your commuter bike, right? Or is it your only bike? The correct number of bikes one needs is simply calculated using this formula:

Number of bikes I should own = n +1, with n = the number of bikes I currently own.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

I only have one bike, which was my commute/everything bike. So now I'm totally functionally bike-less. Gotta make the decision about whether I want to rebuild that bike, or just keep the frame and good components and buy a new bike. I could always get the money from the guy that it would take to fix it, and add in some of my own money and get a new bike completely.

I really like that frame! I could rebuy the same bike, but it wouldn't be the same color. This is the frame I have: https://www.bicyclebluebook.com/SearchListingDetail.aspx?id=3058785&make=723&model=65373

No matter the decision I make, I will keep the frame and whatever components are still good from the bike.