Engineer Boards
​ ​
 photo CHPE_AnimatedWebBanner_650x1202_zps5704d467.gif
NJmike PE

What does the Fox say?

I guess I have to eat my own words, as I always said my next laptop wouldn't be a mac. Well, I just replaced my old macbook pro with a new 13" one, and it's so pretty. And I suppose my return to iPhones is going to happen some time before the end of the year...

• Like 1
  • fudgey 1

52 minutes ago, Road Guy said:

computer nerds ;)

so my 15 year old ordered this stuff and made his own computer (without my knowledge) - everything works but I guess the processor he bought doesn't have a wifi card (or whatever?)

I've had luck with TP Link wireless cards.  Tell him to spend another $50 on a good AC card and he should be good to go.

2 hours ago, Road Guy said:

computer nerds ;)

so my 15 year old ordered this stuff and made his own computer (without my knowledge) - everything works but I guess the processor he bought doesn't have a wifi card (or whatever?)

Isn't that a separate part that plugs in and then has a cord to the processor??

Here is what he bought - he has been using the Ethernet cable from our router but I need this PC out of my home office stat!

also note that a 15 year old working 40 hour weeks at $11.50 an hour can accumulate some serious money burning a hole in his pocket!

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0741DN383/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B06XS53VR5/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o03_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00H33SFJU/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o03_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00AAJ0ZGK/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o03_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Did he at least us the EB.com Amazon link? :thumbs:

So first off, nothing will "plug into" the CPU. More commonly it will plug into the mother board (short raised slot-looking ports; see image below). What he'll want is what MSlacker eluded to in the way of a wireless adapter. These come in all different kinds of flavors from USB (Plug 'n Play, can be used on other computers) to PCI Express as a more permanent installation. Below are some recommendations in order of increased performance and complexity:

Good: TP-LINK TL-WN722N Wireless Adapter  

Better: TP-LINK TL-WN881ND Wireless N300 PCI Express Adapter

Best: ASUS PCE-AC56 802.11ac Dual-band Wireless-AC1300 PCI-E Adapter

Also, what is the intent of the PC? General use or intended for some light gaming? Because I noticed there was no mention of a video card, memory (RAM), or hard drive/solid state drive. Also no operating system listed either. An OEM 64-bit version of Win10 Home runs about $100. Any other questions, let me know. Good luck!

220px-PCIe_J1900_SoC_ITX_Mainboard_IMG_1

I didn't even know he had ordered this shit until it all showed up on our doorstep - remember the younger brother on better off dead? - that's my youngest son ;)

I think he wants to play stupid online computer games like every other 15 year old and 22 year old kid at my office.. - He took the graphics card out of his old computer (which was a POS)

motherboard that's what I meant - I think the one he bought doesn't have a place to plug it (the thing that makes the wifi work) into?

mboard.jpg

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Road Guy said:

I think he wants to play stupid online computer games like every other 15 year old and 22 year old kid at my office.. - He took the graphics card out of his old computer (which was a POS)

motherboard that's what I meant - I think the one he bought doesn't have a place to plug it (the thing that makes the wifi work) into?

Ah ok. Well hopefully the old video card (depending on how old) is compatible with this new motherboard he purchased. Not all interface designs are backwards compatible and it only takes once to try and insert into an incompatible slot (insert joke here) and damage is likely to occur. So for the 2nd and 3rd Wi-Fi adapter recommendations I made, either of those would plug into one of the smaller slots on the bottom of the motherboard (see image below).

Untitled (1003x706).jpg

cool - I figured they wouldn't sell a new one without that function? (but I haven't really looked at it) thanks!  I will point him to your links - not sure when he gets paid again...

I think he also ordered this book:

framed175betteroffdead.jpg

• Thanks 2