Engineer Boards

​ ​ ​
NJmike PE

What does the Fox say?

1 hour ago, Dleg said:

I don't recommend waffles.

Have you tried blue waffles? Do an image search for some examples.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

6 hours ago, MA_PE said:

The landline is a nominal fee tacked on to our cable provider.  I've suggested to my wife that we should drop it as we hardly ever use it but in reality with the "bundled" package the landline is essentially free.

I'd like to lose cable TV and simply subscribe to internet service but the wife is not ready to take that leap just yet.

I bought an Ooma.  $80 worth of equipment, $20 one-time fee to transfer my number, and ~$3/month in mandatory Federal fees.  Helluva lot cheaper than what I was paying for a landline from my cable provider.

17 hours ago, FLBuff PE said:

Have you tried blue waffles? Do an image search for some examples.

VT would be proud.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I think we're finally going to cut the cord

Our router is in one room and our television in another and when I perform speed tests - it doesn't perform well (10ish down) 

We currently use the rented modem/router combo from Spectrum so I'm think of upgrading since my children are getting older on ipads, wife ipad, television, etc.  

So which is the best router/modem combo for 300 MB per second connection?

15 hours ago, willsee said:

So which is the best router/modem combo for 300 MB per second connection?

For cable modems, I'm partial to Motorola. Reasonably priced on Amazon. Be sure to look that it has DOCSIS 3.0 capability.

For routers, try to stick with name brands and you typically can't go wrong. However, if you want true performance and data throughput, for my $$ it doesn't get any better than ASUS. :thumbs:

My ASUS RTN66U has only needed about 2 resets in as many years due to connectivity issues that I can't necessarily contribute to the router itself, so I would recommend anything in the comparable ASUS line.

Linksys on the other hand... I wouldn't even use one to shim the leg of a wobbly table after all the troubles I had with them.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Supe said:

Linksys on the other hand... I wouldn't even use one to shim the leg of a wobbly table after all the troubles I had with them.  

LOL. Their old stuff used to be solid! I still have a couple old routers that I use at home for small projects that are still going strong. But their latest offerings seemed to have really declined in overall quality. 

So ASUS RT-N66U or AC1750

I don't think any of my devices support AC yet

Just now, willsee said:

So ASUS RT-N66U or AC1750

I don't think any of my devices support AC yet

Get what best suits your usability model. I also recommend getting a unit with external antennae. Much better wireless range with that type of design.

Hey @knight1fox3, any thoughts on this laptop? Need to get one for Mrs. Ble to do typical office document work, internet surfing, etc. No gaming or anything like that.

eD7QZ0u.png

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Ble_PE said:

Hey @knight1fox3, any thoughts on this laptop? Need to get one for Mrs. Ble to do typical office document work, internet surfing, etc. No gaming or anything like that.

Excellent selection! I really like the ASUS brand of laptops and presently use one as my home daily driver. Also like that it has both an SSD and HDD. That's the way to go with storing large files on the HDD while maintaining performance with programs & computing on the SSD. Great price too! :thumbs:

• Like 1

Not a fan of the TechArmor ballistic glass screen protector... It has a hairline crack in the middle from I have no clue what, and also, never fully sealed around the edges of my phone at all. This one got a crack after maybe two months of use, and I don't think I'm particularly hard on my phone. The cheap protector I had on it before lasted a lot longer, but also had the same issue with the lack of seal around the edges. WTH.

Any thoughts on best phones in the <$500 (preferably < $400) category? 

The battery has taken a dump on my S6, and I've not been happy with its stability as the hardware aged.  I just don't do enough with my phone to warrant the big money jobbers anymore.  Facebook, email, google maps, camera, alarm, and Android Auto probably sums up the only apps I've touched in about 3 years.  It looks like the Moto X4 is the way to go at only $300 unlocked, and I've always been a fan of Motorola durability.  Any other recommendations?

Ok Fox... help me out with this.  I asked both Crutchfield and Rockford Fosgate.  The preamp outputs on the Kenwood car stereo I want (KDC-X501) is at 5V.  The RCA jack preamp inputs on my Rockford Fosgate amp says the input sensitivity is 150mV - 4V. Both say this setup will work.  I haven't specifically asked them, but WHY will this work?  In my mind 5V > 4V and therefore... no go.

Magic.

• Haha 1

22 minutes ago, FLBuff PE said:

Magic.

That was my default assumption.

On 7/2/2018 at 5:39 PM, leggo PE said:

Not a fan of the TechArmor ballistic glass screen protector... It has a hairline crack in the middle from I have no clue what, and also, never fully sealed around the edges of my phone at all. This one got a crack after maybe two months of use, and I don't think I'm particularly hard on my phone. The cheap protector I had on it before lasted a lot longer, but also had the same issue with the lack of seal around the edges. WTH.

From my experience, this is usually very phone and user specific. I've just had better luck with the TechArmor products and they have been quick to support any issues I've encountered. That said, I think I'm basically done with screen protectors for some of the reasons you described. I simply don't keep a phone for as long as I used to enough to warrant dealing with screen protector issues. In addition, most (if not all) the newer flagship phones use Gorilla Glass technology. Which makes then essentially scratch resistant. Note, not shatter resistant (but a screen protector wouldn't prevent a shatter incident either). YMMV

On 7/3/2018 at 5:54 AM, Supe said:

Any thoughts on best phones in the <$500 (preferably < $400) category? 

The battery has taken a dump on my S6, and I've not been happy with its stability as the hardware aged.  I just don't do enough with my phone to warrant the big money jobbers anymore.  Facebook, email, google maps, camera, alarm, and Android Auto probably sums up the only apps I've touched in about 3 years.  It looks like the Moto X4 is the way to go at only $300 unlocked, and I've always been a fan of Motorola durability.  Any other recommendations?

This is a tough one. Take a look at GSM Arena and look at reviews of some newer mid-range models. I don't think there's any one phone that I recommend which will be a perfect fit for you. You'll have a better idea of this. One thing to note on Motorola, be mindful of which model you chose as some of the older retired models are no longer having updates pushed to them from what I've read. Outside of that, Moto makes pretty good phones and is a solid manufacturer.

On 7/3/2018 at 3:18 PM, Audi driver, P.E. said:

Ok Fox... help me out with this.  I asked both Crutchfield and Rockford Fosgate.  The preamp outputs on the Kenwood car stereo I want (KDC-X501) is at 5V.  The RCA jack preamp inputs on my Rockford Fosgate amp says the input sensitivity is 150mV - 4V. Both say this setup will work.  I haven't specifically asked them, but WHY will this work?  In my mind 5V > 4V and therefore... no go.

It all depends on the charging circuit and the sensitivity of the transistors used. 5V may be the nominal supply voltage, but they may still function at some level +/-. And typically if there's some type of indication that a support article says it will work, it means the configuration has actually been validated. :thumbs:

• Like 1

I can't say I understand your answer, but thank you for trying to explain it to me.

• Like 1

Another question for you @knight1fox3. I'm wanting to set up a NAS that will be able to store files from both Mac and PCs. Is there anything special that needs to be done to accommodate this or will that be pretty straightforward? Also, any recommendations for a NAS that don't break the bank?

You're a day late, Ble!  They had some killer deals on NAS and SSD's for Prime Day yesterday.

33 minutes ago, Ble_PE said:

Another question for you @knight1fox3. I'm wanting to set up a NAS that will be able to store files from both Mac and PCs. Is there anything special that needs to be done to accommodate this or will that be pretty straightforward? Also, any recommendations for a NAS that don't break the bank?

Great. This is one of the best methods to stream content and also back up your existing computational devices. I typically create monthly drive images of all our PCs and store this data on my NAS. I'm not sure how Macs handle networked file storage permissions and such, but with Win7/10, it's very straight-forward. I'm sure there are online resources that can help in configuring a Mac for file storage, I just don't know off hand how to accomplish that.

As for recommendations, I suggest spending a little more towards a reputable brand for a NAS as you will get what you pay for in terms of reliability and performance. Spending a little more in the long run will typically result in less headache on your part. For my money, I stand by the QNAP brand of NAS components. This is the model NAS that I have. When purchasing, I wouldn't buy a combo kit with a drive pre-installed because that will likely drive the cost way up. It's better to buy the NAS w/o a drive (or drives) and purchase those separately. Presently my setup is only single drive at 8TB and my drive of choice is the NAS specific style made by Western Digital. Let me know if you have any other questions on this and good luck. :thumbs:

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Supe said:

You're a day late, Ble!  They had some killer deals on NAS and SSD's for Prime Day yesterday.

Psssh. There will always be deals to be had without the need for a Prime day. And you most certainly DO NOT want to utilize an SSD in a NAS application. This would be grossly mis-applied.

And besides...

FB_IMG_1531911533390.jpg

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

computer nerds ;)

so my 15 year old ordered this stuff and made his own computer (without my knowledge) - everything works but I guess the processor he bought doesn't have a wifi card (or whatever?)

Isn't that a separate part that plugs in and then has a cord to the processor??

Here is what he bought - he has been using the Ethernet cable from our router but I need this PC out of my home office stat!

also note that a 15 year old working 40 hour weeks at $11.50 an hour can accumulate some serious money burning a hole in his pocket!

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0741DN383/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B06XS53VR5/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o03_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00H33SFJU/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o03_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00AAJ0ZGK/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o03_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1