What does the Fox say?

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NJmike PE

Game Czar
Reaction score
Ok, I need some advice from the Jedi Master. For over 2 years now, I have been using a Linksys E2500 dual band wireless router. I hate it. Piss poor range, although I guess it could be my house, but most importantly the inconsistent signal. Up, down strong, weak.

First off, my house is NOT big, only 1200 Sq ft. So it reach everywhere in the house and outside yet, I move 25' away and the wifi signal on my phone begins to drop out. I realize the cordless phones, baby monitors, etc., all work on the same 2.4 ghz freq. so I switched to the 5.0 ghz frq. Worked for about a week, but now I keep losing the connection to that band. This morning I experienced the same so not realizing what I was doing I Reset the router.

Tech support is no help. They want me to pay $30 to log in and set it up remotely. For another $30 I can get a new one with full support.

So, what does the Fox say? Anyone else's :2cents: are also welcome.

Last edited by a moderator:
250px-Linksys_WRT54G_V1.jpg

Been rocking this thing for God knows how long. Solid as a rock. ;)

yeah, I'm pretty sure that I still have mine and the only reason that I stopped using it was because I wanted to switch to the n-band. I could easily switch back to it.

Reading more about the E2500, it seems like it's notorious for dropping connection intermittently. Though I still stand by what I wrote to you in my previous thread that your environment contains a lot of extraneous wireless traffic (but who doesn't?). Not having any external antennas also isn't doing you any favors. You could try updating the unit's firmware but I suspect this is more along the lines of low-grade internal hardware. With the high traffic in your particular living space, I think it's pertinent that you utilize a router that is equipped with external antennas. Not only will it increase your range, but it will also be more reliable. Dual-band also seems to be more desirable for you since you can primarily use the 5GHz band vs. the 2.4GHz. 2.4 is fine to use, but you really need to perform a Wi-Fi scan of your area to see what channels are being used for all your different devices. As such, for your router you would then select the appropriate channel which isn't being heavily used by any of your other devices. That should eliminate a number of nuisance interference issues.

HD content streaming fail. Though in it's day, this router was solid. But it just can't keep up with the throughput for content these days. Mine is now used as a network hub and still going fine for that.

IIPadrino's link has some good suggestions. But I would steer clear of any Buffalo products. ASUS being my top choice and then probably Netgear or Linksys/Cisco. Note Linksys/Cisco is still a good brand, they just put out a few ducks that they deemed "economical". Well, you get what you pay for. I'm actually still rocking one of the 1st gen. Linksys dual-band N600's. It was the flagship back in it's day so I paid a pretty penny for it. But it has been rock solid up to this point. HTH.

[SIZE=medium]we used to have to replace ours about every 2 years it seems, I am not enough of a geek to know what kind we had. Lync something…. We now have some huge monster from xfinity.. with 3 kids and the wife constantly on the net the thing holds up pretty good.. you know me, I am always outside or reading a book ;) [/SIZE]

Apple AirPort Extreme FTMFW!!!!!!!!111111

(Can't resist an Apple reference in any KF tech talk)

:eek:ldman:

I've heard mixed reviews on the Apple AirPort. For some it works, others it's a pain in the arse. And I'm guessing it won't let you install DD-WRT firmware on it.

Mine's worked like a champ for 5 years and counting. But I don't mod it, I pretty much do what Apple tells me I'm allowed to.

Mine's worked like a champ for 5 years and counting. But I don't mod it, I pretty much do what Apple tells me I'm allowed to.
^sheep mentality.

Reading more about the E2500, it seems like it's notorious for dropping connection intermittently. Though I still stand by what I wrote to you in my previous thread that your environment contains a lot of extraneous wireless traffic (but who doesn't?). Not having any external antennas also isn't doing you any favors. You could try updating the unit's firmware but I suspect this is more along the lines of low-grade internal hardware. With the high traffic in your particular living space, I think it's pertinent that you utilize a router that is equipped with external antennas. Not only will it increase your range, but it will also be more reliable. Dual-band also seems to be more desirable for you since you can primarily use the 5GHz band vs. the 2.4GHz. 2.4 is fine to use, but you really need to perform a Wi-Fi scan of your area to see what channels are being used for all your different devices. As such, for your router you would then select the appropriate channel which isn't being heavily used by any of your other devices. That should eliminate a number of nuisance interference issues.

HD content streaming fail. Though in it's day, this router was solid. But it just can't keep up with the throughput for content these days. Mine is now used as a network hub and still going fine for that.

IIPadrino's link has some good suggestions. But I would steer clear of any Buffalo products. ASUS being my top choice and then probably Netgear or Linksys/Cisco. Note Linksys/Cisco is still a good brand, they just put out a few ducks that they deemed "economical". Well, you get what you pay for. I'm actually still rocking one of the 1st gen. Linksys dual-band N600's. It was the flagship back in it's day so I paid a pretty penny for it. But it has been rock solid up to this point. HTH.
So I was researching based on your suggestions; sticking with dual band, going with external antennas. I came up with this one. What do you think?

http://www.staples.com/TP-LINK-TL-WDR3500-Wireless-N600-Dual-Band-Router-24-GHz-5/product_292248

So I was researching based on your suggestions; sticking with dual band, going with external antennas. I came up with this one. What do you think?

http://www.staples.com/TP-LINK-TL-WDR3500-Wireless-N600-Dual-Band-Router-24-GHz-5/product_292248
LOL. So basically you read my post, and then picked a brand that I never even mentioned/recommended? :huh: Have you been drinking again today sir?

But I would steer clear of any Buffalo products. ASUS being my top choice and then probably Netgear or Linksys/Cisco.

I switched from an Airport Express to an Airport Extreme a few years ago, and have never had a single problem with either of them. And yes, I'm serious.

ASUS being my top choice and then probably Netgear or Linksys/Cisco.
So I'm going to bestbuy after work today, maybe even cut out a little early for that matter. Anyway, on your recommendations, I will look for one of these, with dual band and ext. antennas. I hope to keep the cost under $100.

Back