Engineer Boards
​ ​
Dexman PE PMP

Cubscouts

I won one year without doing much at all to my car.  It just all felt like luck, to me. 

a1a9a2dee2144678488245b91fbbc72a.jpg

So Weigh-ins were last night. Both cars made exact weight and the green TMNT car was accepted immediately. However, the yellow Shopkins cheese wedge was not. @Supe, apparently a front wheel was ever so slightly higher than the other three wheels. Unfortunately there was little that I could to the front wheels in the ways of adjusting them because I feared I would snap the car because it is too thin. So my only option was to adjust the rear wheel on the same side as the high wheel in the front. I got all four to touch and car was accepted. Race begins at 9.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, NJmike PE said:

a1a9a2dee2144678488245b91fbbc72a.jpg

So Weigh-ins were last night. Both cars made exact weight and the green TMNT car was accepted immediately. However, the yellow Shopkins cheese wedge was not. @Supe, apparently a front wheel was ever so slightly higher than the other three wheels. Unfortunately there was little that I could to the front wheels in the ways of adjusting them because I feared I would snap the car because it is too thin. So my only option was to adjust the rear wheel on the same side as the high wheel in the front. I got all four to touch and car was accepted. Race begins at 9.

Godspeed ninja car

Edited by P-E

I forgot to ask, what are the costs associated with Scouts?  Thanks. 

22 hours ago, ptatohed said:

I forgot to ask, what are the costs associated with Scouts?  Thanks. 

DcOkhSz.jpg

• Like 3

apparently I left way too much wood weight on these two cars. middle of the pack times again. 2.88 s was our best run. best time for the day was 2.67 s

I do think you can "overthink " the cars!

But the way I saw it, so long as your kid isn't the one whose car doesn't make it all the way down the track you have done your job!

PH- The cost vary from pack to pack, our "dues" were around $75 a year. You buy the shirt, book, and a few patches. The pack buys the "badges"

If you are considering it for the fall look around ebay for used cub scout shirts in the summer, they will be plentiful as kids grow fast, they will be hard to find once school starts and the pack year begins. We bought a large blue shirt for the kids that gets them through 3rd grade usually.

• Like 1

So we're doing the derby again. I let the boy pick out the design for one. I designed the other. Naturally, he picked a Spiderman design. Mine was merely going for the concept of cutting off as much of the wood block as possible so I can put it back in the form of tungsten. Both blocks, are about 1.0 oz... 5 is the max at weigh-ins. Before cutting them down, we pre-drilled the axle slots to assure the wheels are. All level and the track is true. Next we'll grind off the burs on the axles, and the tungsten weights to the blocks, pudding and paint them.

Here is the current status of the car blocks. 84f502f6636d3a7caa576519b9c00311.jpg092004316d6b3ff6a2b34823684d1bf4.jpg62db71f7a18cab0b7087ef3439d304fd.jpg05389488349ecd329d9e7360d1a66759.jpg

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

• Like 2

I was a Boy Scout / Cub Scout leader for 13 years, both sons achieved Eagle Scout.  Both had entered cars over the years and did quite well.  I did help them when using power equipment, but aside from that, they did the work themselves.  My happiest moment was when one of my cub scouts, took a saw, cut a wedge off of the front end of the block and glued it onto the back.  He painted the car with colored markers............He won.  Beat out all the other cars, especially the "Dad" modified cars that looked like months were taken to build and paint. 

• Like 1

Weigh-ins are this evening. All wheels touch. Right on weight. Let's hope this goes without a problem tonight and tomorrow the cars all run better than average. That's all I want. e38d59e73093634019248ca1328450e8.jpg45658c306bc22d50f1cab8fd31446f5b.jpg

• Like 2

so the red/blue car finished 2 in the Den, and 15 overall in the pack. not too bad. the black car was entered as a sibling car. While it ran faster than the red/blue car they did not publish the scores, but at least it won for best looking.

Overall, I'm happy with that.

Edited by NJmike PE
  • Like 2

Mini PE and I went to grandpa's workshop and made our car.  We took 1st place.  I never did this with my dad.  Wish now I had. 

image.jpeg

• Like 7

33 minutes ago, P-E said:

Mini PE and I went to grandpa's workshop and made our car.  We took 1st place.  I never did this with my dad.  Wish now I had. 

image.jpeg

nice car, congrats on first place

Well done @mini PE

13 minutes ago, NJmike PE said:

nice car, congrats on first place

Thanks.  We go to the regional race next month.   It will be tough to win there.  

Congrats and good luck! Good looking car - those were fun times with the kids for sure!

6 hours ago, P-E said:

Thanks.  We go to the regional race next month.   It will be tough to win there.  

congrats.  Where are the regionals held?

Back when my son was in the cubs we won the "city-wide" derby at the mall.  We came in second in his pack but the 1st place kid didn't bother with the extra "city-wide" event.  It's fun for them to bring home some hardware.

Not sure the location yet.  It will be at the of March, so there's time to make some minor tweeks. 

Edited by P-E

What was the winning time?

On February 2, 2018 at 5:12 PM, NJmike PE said:
On February 2, 2018 at 8:14 AM, P-E said:

What was the winning time?

3.185 seconds, average of three top runs. 

Was it a wood track?

2 hours ago, NJmike PE said:
18 hours ago, P-E said:

Was it a wood track?

Metal track.  Not sure the length. 

On February 2, 2018 at 3:00 PM, P-E said:

Not sure the location yet.  It will be at the of March, so there's time to make some minor tweeks. 

We took first place in the wolves division at regionals.   On to Nationals. 

image.jpeg

Edited by P-E
  • Like 6

PWD Nationals are this weekend in Times Square.   Should be interesting.  I'm not expecting much, but it will be fun just going.