Jump to content
Engineer Boards

​ ​ ​
 photo CHPE_AnimatedWebBanner_650x1202_zps5704d467.gif
Dexman PE PMP

Cubscouts

Recommended Posts

19 minutes ago, jeb6294 said:

Soooo you spent $45 to beat a bunch of 8 year olds.

untitled.jpg

 

Maybe upfront, but I'll get my money's worth out of both the axles and the axle tool. I'll reuse them each year

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, NJmike PE said:

Maybe upfront, but I'll get my money's worth out of both the axles and the axle tool. I'll reuse them each year when I drink the tears of my enemies.

fixt

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
58 minutes ago, jeb6294 said:

cec7ad416f9fea49fb0533067a72051a6d51a233

He's out of uniform and there's a rocket on his pine wood derby trophy.  Was that the "special" PW derby?

 

NJMike:  The axles look illegal and I'm not clear on how the axle tool works to assure 4 wheel alignment.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, MA_PE said:

He's out of uniform and there's a rocket on his pine wood derby trophy.  Was that the "special" PW derby?

 

NJMike:  The axles look illegal and I'm not clear on how the axle tool works to assure 4 wheel alignment.

 

It's possible that they are illegal. I honestly don't know, however I do know that short of an anonymous call from a concerned citizen, the governing body will never know. As for the tool, on the blue paddle, there is a tongue which fits into the groove in the bottom of the car block. When held firmly against the block, there is only an opening the size of the axle available for the axle to be set into. Now, I'm sure that I could have pre-drilled the opening with a jig, but I opted against it. I was able to clamp the tool against the block and then set the axles, all the while watch them as I hammered them in to be sure that they were perpendicular to the block. Another nice aspect is the metal fork that rests against the side of the car. When set properly, you can hammer in the axles and they will all be evenly gapped due to the thickness of the fork. So the wheel itself will never be too close to the block.

Does that help any MA?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

In a way I am glad minisnick isn't doing the whole cub scout thing.  meeting times just don't jive with our work schedules

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, snickerd3 said:

In a way I am glad minisnick isn't doing the whole cub scout thing.

Famous last words...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

When I ran our pinewood derby we had to check the nails to make sure they looked like the ones that came with the kit. If its not obvious from looking at the nail head that they are not the BSA nails then you can probably squeak by- but they are most defin not legal for BSA / Cub Scout use.  You have to use the nails and wheels that are from the BSA kit.

We were a pack with a lot of overpaid Lockheed martin engineers with a lot of free time, I recall a lot of times under 3.5 seconds..

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I thought of the Scouts for my boys (now 4 and 6).  A little concerned about the "spirituality" of it though.  How faith-based is it? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Its very low spirituality based in practice, even though it was originated as a Christian based organization, its very vanilla...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, ptatohed said:

How faith-based is it? 

Not much these days. I'm thinking about signing up my daughters.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I just signed my 14 year old and myself up for sea base next summer (living on a sailboat for 10 days in the Bahamas) & I have a 15 year old teenage girl who is absolutely pissed that they don't really have a girl equivalent of boy scouts!  girl scouts is a sad organization- they are almost afraid to do anything "outside"..

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, Road Guy said:

I just signed my 14 year old and myself up for sea base next summer (living on a sailboat for 10 days in the Bahamas) & I have a 15 year old teenage girl who is absolutely pissed that they don't really have a girl equivalent of boy scouts!  girl scouts is a sad organization- they are almost afraid to do anything "outside"..

I'll take Bahamas over cookies any day.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
36 minutes ago, ptatohed said:

I thought of the Scouts for my boys (now 4 and 6).  A little concerned about the "spirituality" of it though.  How faith-based is it? 

depends on the sponsors.  ours is sponsored by the local catholic church if i remember

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
28 minutes ago, Road Guy said:

I just signed my 14 year old and myself up for sea base next summer (living on a sailboat for 10 days in the Bahamas) & I have a 15 year old teenage girl who is absolutely pissed that they don't really have a girl equivalent of boy scouts!  girl scouts is a sad organization- they are almost afraid to do anything "outside"..

this is very council dependent.  I went to girl scout camp twice (week long), cots on wood platforms with canvas sides.  we also did local campouts and day trips to local forest preserves.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
58 minutes ago, Road Guy said:

When I ran our pinewood derby we had to check the nails to make sure they looked like the ones that came with the kit. If its not obvious from looking at the nail head that they are not the BSA nails then you can probably squeak by- but they are most defin not legal for BSA / Cub Scout use.  You have to use the nails and wheels that are from the BSA kit.

We were a pack with a lot of overpaid Lockheed martin engineers with a lot of free time, I recall a lot of times under 3.5 seconds..

last years car ran at 2.89 s and that was slow by comparison to the others. It actually finished middle of the pack for the whole race

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

they really need to have two races.  boy scout and a separate one for the parents so the kids are really the ones making the cars

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Our scout troop back home (Atlanta) was chartered out of a catholic church, the only real interaction was doing some service projects (as a thank you for them letting us use their lights and space) and maybe a once a year pancake breakfast.  No one shows up at scout meetings to try and make your kid a catholic, religious, etc.

If your the kind of person that cant even be on a church property without going into a cross fit style anti religion rant, then no its not for you ;) 

But its a great program for boys, I cant say enough about it. Plus it is giving me the excuse to live on a boat for a week ;)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, NJmike PE said:

It's possible that they are illegal. I honestly don't know, however I do know that short of an anonymous call from a concerned citizen, the governing body will never know. As for the tool, on the blue paddle, there is a tongue which fits into the groove in the bottom of the car block. When held firmly against the block, there is only an opening the size of the axle available for the axle to be set into. Now, I'm sure that I could have pre-drilled the opening with a jig, but I opted against it. I was able to clamp the tool against the block and then set the axles, all the while watch them as I hammered them in to be sure that they were perpendicular to the block. Another nice aspect is the metal fork that rests against the side of the car. When set properly, you can hammer in the axles and they will all be evenly gapped due to the thickness of the fork. So the wheel itself will never be too close to the block.

Does that help any MA?

With only the steel guide at the front I can see it being helpful but not not too much better than one could do unaided and being careful.  However I do endorse that once they're in position to satisfaction some 5 minute epoxy will keep them there.

1 hour ago, snickerd3 said:

they really need to have two races.  boy scout and a separate one for the parents so the kids are really the ones making the cars

I believe there are some Cub packs that have done just that.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Road Guy said:

Our scout troop back home (Atlanta) was chartered out of a catholic church, the only real interaction was doing some service projects (as a thank you for them letting us use their lights and space) and maybe a once a year pancake breakfast.  No one shows up at scout meetings to try and make your kid a catholic, religious, etc.

If your the kind of person that cant even be on a church property without going into a cross fit style anti religion rant, then no its not for you ;) 

But its a great program for boys, I cant say enough about it. Plus it is giving me the excuse to live on a boat for a week ;)

Thanks RG.  I'm cool with all that, I just don't want them pushing religious doctrine on my boys.  It looks like atheists/agnostics are not allowed in the Scouts.  Don't ask, don't tell? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

the most is probably the oath that they will do their duty

Boy Scout Oath or Promise

On my honor, I will do my best 
To do my duty to God and my country and to obey the Scout Law; 
To help other people at all times; 
To keep myself physically strong, mentally awake and morally straight.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

the girl scout one is similar   On my honor, I will try: To serve God and my country, To help people at all times, And to live by the Girl Scout Law.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I like those a lot.  Just not the God part.  :) 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Here's his, by his I mean my, first PW car.  He came in 9th of 89.  I only polished and put graphite on the axles.  The cars that beat us [me] had a wheel up.

 

 

image.jpeg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The year I did the least amount of "illegal crap" is the year we brought home the hardware...

9aab547ae2f787b4d636dd7e47b1ebc5.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×