February 2014 - Giveaway # 3 - Surveying Practice Problems

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Road Guy

Reaction score
We would like to thank Engineering Videos.net for the following giveaway:

Surveying Practice Problems

What you need to do is post in this thread that you are interested in the giveaway and I will select a random winner on February 28th. So you must post by then. I will notify the winner and will contact them via PM about getting them their FREE book!

Thanks again!

Surveying Practice Problems provides 105 multiple-choice surveying problems to assist civil engineers and land surveyors in preparation for their professional licensing examinations. Topics include: Horizontal Curves, Vertical Curves, Distance, Leveling, Area, Angles, Traverse, and Photogrammetry.
surveying.jpg

From the book title, it is not clear if this book is intended for the FS exam, the PS exam or the CA Civil Survey exam but I'll assume it can be used to prepare for the CA Civil Survey exam judging by the topics. If so, and if I may as a PE, please sign me up (I maintain the PE exam review library here at work and help others prepare). Thanks.

Sign me up. I'm taking the exam in April. I didn't pass it in October so I could use all the help I can get to solve the problems faster. :brickwall:

@ptatohed - Correct. This book contains surveying practice problems suitable for those preparing for the surveying exam (as part of the CA Civil PE exam), as well as the PS or FS exams. The Amazon page provides a preview of the book's contents: link Second preview here

I am curious, how many questions are geared toward straight math solutions versus knowledge of survey principles and laws. It seems that so far in my preparation for the Principles and Practice of Surveying exam that there are a BUNCH of problems on the laws, best practices, etc. That's what I feel like I need to study the most quite honestly. I'm curious how this study book aids in that particular effort.

I am curious, how many questions are geared toward straight math solutions versus knowledge of survey principles and laws. It seems that so far in my preparation for the Principles and Practice of Surveying exam that there are a BUNCH of problems on the laws, best practices, etc. That's what I feel like I need to study the most quite honestly. I'm curious how this study book aids in that particular effort.

Sap, the CA-Survey Exam and the National PS Exam are very different. Even the FS Exam is a lot different than the PS Exam. The CA-Survey and the FS are closer than the CA-Survey and the PS.

PS Specs

FS Specs

CA Survey Specs

Good question. The book contains all quantitative problems which requires a knowledge of trigonometry and math, yet the questions cover a wide range of surveying principles. The book does not include any questions on surveying laws. I provided links to two different previews of the book's contents in my prior post. If I had to pick one exam this book is best for, it would be for the surveying exam (as part of the Civil PE exam) which is required for us here in California. I wrote the book not too long after taking that exam.

Thanks Tim. Obviously the quantitative part is a big piece of all of these exams so I'm sure your book is a valuable resource in the preparation. Even though I'm studying for the PS specifically, I still want to be inconsideration for this giveaway when the selection is made. Working out more math problems is never a bad idea.

On another note, the picture on the cover is great. I lived just down Lincoln across the street from Baker Beach last year when I was working for the USACE. I know that bridge well!

results tallied and (no joke) congrats to sapper!

send me your new address!

RG

Back