Surveying Exam

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sapper PE LS

Aspiring Couch Potato
Reaction score
After years of working on and off to obtain the necessary required experience for the Principals and Practice of Surveying exam, I was notified by my state board today that I am approved to take the exam.

I'll be studying for the April offering. Any other survey exam applicants who want to share tips / tricks etc, please let me know.

Alright, alright, alright... I'm getting ready for this surveying exam coming up! Yay! I can do it! I'm ready for this bleeping, flipping, bleepidy, bleeeping, bleep test.

But seriously, ****, I'm getting too old to be studying for these NCEES exams. I can't wait for it to be over so I can sit on the couch and watch TV at night again.

Bummed that I just realized today, well after the deadline, that I needed to sign up for the 2 hour state specific exam separately from the 6 hr PS exam. **** it. **** it. **** it.

Oh well, I will take that 6 hour exam, and I will rock it, then 6 months later, I'll take the 2 hour exam and I will rock that. I will ultimately be licensed as both an engineer and surveyor before Christmas this year.

Sap, having fun talking to yourself? LOL ;) You probably should have been more specific with your thread title as it can easily be confused with the CA Civil Survey Principles 2.5 hour state exam. I assume you are taking this in CA (I don't know of any other state that has a separate 2 hour state PLS exam)? Good luck! I wish I were in your shoes (had enough experience to take the PLS exam). Let us know how you do.

Good luck and let me know how it goes, I may take the exam here in Colorado next year!

By the way, did you know that a rod is 16.5', there are 4 rods in a chain which is 66', and there are 80 chains in a mile. An acre is 160 square rods or 1 chain x 10 chains. This means that I own a house that sits on 40 square rods or 1 x 2.5 chains.

Seriously, what the hell were those old brits thinking? Why was a rod 16.5' and not 10'? Why wouldn't a chain be 100'? Even going by the foot and inch system, they still could have made things easier.

And WTF is a furlong?

Sapper, the one thing that's great about taking all those exams is the collection of Pencils. I have also taken four NCEES exams, EIT, SIT, PE & PS, but then you can keep adding to your collection by taking all those state exams. I've got Ohio and Pennsylvania under my belt and last week tried for Jersey. You get a new pencil for each one of those exams as well. I do have to give a shout out to the Ohio Board. They were the easiest and friendliest board to work with and they had a great collection of study materials and what the exam would be like.

Good luck.

Larry! Thank god people like you exist! I've felt all alone here being the only person on the board that I knew about getting dually licensed. Good luck on Jersey, I'm waiting on just the PS 6 hour right now. Long story, but I didn't realize that the state specific exam was a separate sign up and fee. I'll be taking that in October, but hopefully JUST that.

Sap I have all but one of the pencils I was issued. FE included. The only one that I don't have was from the exam that I bombed. Out of anger I chucked it when I left the exam room.

I should have 8, (2 tries on the FE and PE), but I only know where 4 are. I swear people in my office steal things.

Plus, I have a couple that predate the date...when they were only colored and didn't include the month and year. Those things are collectors items.

Larry, when did you take your first NCEES exam? My first was FE in April 2000, then FE in October 2000. I have no idea if they even gave pencils out then. I do remember bringing my calculator to that exam, but can't remember if I had to bring my own pencils or not.

Back