Hours put in to pass october 2013 exam

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Distant Thunder

Reaction score
Just asking those who passed....

For posterity sake, how many hours did you put in for oct 2013 exam?

I did ~115 but I would estimate 30 of those were wasted on things that were not on the exam (basic calc, matrix theory, etc) would have been better off if I had watched a few of dr. Tom's YouTube videos beforehand to develop a strategy. Included in that time was taking two separate practice exams.

I put in around 300 hrs. Started 6 months before test and took Ga Tech class.

An hour per night starting in July, closer to two hours per night the first two weeks of October. Eased up the last week and didn't study the last two nights before the exam. I did nothing but go through the 2011 sample exam from NCEES. So all in all, maybe around 130-140 hours.

I would estimate about 25 hours for my first try (and fail) for october 2012, with another 75-100 hours put in before october 2013. For the October 12 exam I spent the time going over a friends notes and sample exams. For October 13 my primary study guide was the Camara PE Reference Guide and more sample exams.

Spent a bit over 200 hours studying, starting in August. Went through almost the entire Lindeburg text cover to cover with the associated practice problem book, along with an 8 week review class at the University of Washington. Three months of pain resulted in a pass!

I probably studied around 150 hours in total. At least half of that was from the School of PE review course, which had an 8-hour refresher course and a 5-hour workshop for each breadth subject, along with a 8-hour refresher/workshop for the depth portion. I studied a fair bit on my own in the six weeks leading up to the exam. I started at a few hours per week, then increased to a couple hours every day in the final week. The review course may have been overkill, but it definitely helped me to pass on the first try, so no regrets.

Last edited by a moderator:
~100 hours over 3 months. The Florida Board did not approve my application until July 30!

Those 3 months were pretty stressful as I made several business trips (plant commissioning) during that time. Spent lots of time doing practice problems (and getting funny looks) at 35,000 feet!

~150-175 over two months (okay maybe more like 1.5 months). School of PE on weeknights and then 8-12 hours every Sat/Sun. That includes the 20 or so hours it took me to organize my binders,

~350 hours over 5 months. Did spend some time reading text in the Lindeburg book (which was a waste of time). Worked alot of practice problems

~200 hours starting the week after the 4th of july. 3-4 nights during week and at least 10 hours every weekend while working full time. Plus a full week off the week of the exam

I studied about 110 hours and started roughly 40 days before the exam. I do not necessarily recommend waiting until the month before until starting because I essentially had to devote every free hour to studying. However, it did train me to sit and focus for long periods of time on engineer problems, which was certainly helpful in preparing for the test. Also because I procrastinated, it forced me to skip straight to the important stuff (i.e. not reading the CERM cover to cover and studying only what was in the NCEES outline.)

About 200+ including time spent with SoPE. I'd say 30-40 of those study hours I was probably screwing off. Time management fail.

I started studying the first week of June. I probably spent around 350 hours sitting in front of books (although I would probably only count 3/4 of that time).

Way back in '11, I'd say I spent 300 hours in direct study and about 100 more in preparation (application, finding and organizing references mostly, plus prep of what to (not) take to the exam, and meticulously organizing reference materials.)

I knew that after that exam I'd have no time to study (baby on the way), so I made sure to have a "one and done" attitude.

Passed.

Took the week of the exam off and spent about ten hours a day for five days, so around fifty or so hours.

I started at the beginning of August. I'd say I spent about 150 hours studying. I tried to make my way through the Mechanical Engineering Reference Manual for 75% of that time, with the rest focused on practice problems and practice tests. During the week before the exam, I reviewed practice problems that I had previously solved and briefly looked through chapters in the MERM that I didn't have time to read in detail.

Back