ASME

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mizzoueng

Hop Addict
Reaction score
Does anyone participate in the communities of practice in ASME?

I don't think there are a lot of Utility boiler / Power people here, but I reqested to start a Power / Boiler COP in ASME. Has anyone done these before?

Nothin here. I did 2 internships with power plants (1 nuclear, 1 coalfire) and when I was going to graduate college, neither was hiring. I've considered going back into utilities / power operations since passing PE, but at this point, there's not a lot of justification for a career move.

Sounds cool, though. Do you have to belong to ASME to participate in the COPs?

No, anyone can join in on the COPs. I think you have to be an ASME member though to start a COP.
So what is the deal on this COP? I am a utility guy at a 1700 MW coal fired station.

Texas Aggie '02

Last edited:
I haven't been on there in a long time, I need to go on there an update a lot of stuff.

My original idea was to create a COP with the intention to get the energy guys together and hare our knowledge on utility boilers, their functions and types, and common problems and upgrades that are being done.

Does your company subscribe to FOMIS? It stands for Fossil Operations and Maintenance Information Services. Basically a forum to ask questions and supply information, but in a structured manner. We just subscribed last month. It is pretty interesting. They have about 30k "reports" for various problems from technical to managerial to environmental. It started in the 80s and has about 80 or so companies participating. I think it costs around 1k per month, but hopefully it will be worthwhile for us.

Texas Aggie '02

I'm an electrical engineer, and I don't know anything about COPs, but ASME has a lot of power people, because they have an annual ASME Power Convention. I went last summer in San Antonio. So I'm sure something already exists, or you would get a lot of interest.

Aggie, we don't subscribe to that forum. It sounds very useful, but at that price I don't know if I would be able to convince the "higher ups" to shell out the cash for it.

Benbo, when I first started this topic there wasn't a "Power Plant" COP, but I started one and I am slowly trying to upload information on the site about plant systems and operations.

Back