A guy brought a ...... to the exam!

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kcbpsu

Reaction score
I took the Fire Protection PE this past Friday in San Diego. I had previously taken the Mechanical PE 2 years ago so I thought I had seen it all the first time. The typical people getting kicked out, people rolling in with Little Red Wagons, 4-5 milk crates on a dolly, people showing up without calculators because they thought they were provided, etc.

Then I saw a guy walking in with........ his own chair on Friday! Genius! I don't think it is against the rules but I'll bet anyone $20 personal chairs are banned from April's Exam.

The NCEES Candidate Agreement for the October 2013 test stated:

"Examinees may not bring tobacco products or personal chairs."

Hahahaha, that's so random but as with everything in life, there are labels and warnings because someone somewhere was a DA and had ruin the application of common sence for the rest of us.

:15:

A chair, who does that ... :rotflmao: :facepalm:

Horses are not expressly forbidden. A nice saddle on a well trained horse is an excellent seat.

Just sayin'....

I'm sure you could get a exception (ADA), but you'd think they'd put them in a separate room so as not to excite the masses.......

Hey kcbpsu, did he get to keep his chair and use it? In the main room with everyone else?

Mike in Gastonia,

I just saw him standing outside in the morning with it, not sure if he even made it through the door with it. I lost him when the herd of 400 people tried to fit through the entrance doors.

Some year I just want to go and watch, seems pretty entertaining if one wasn't focused/worried about passing the test.

I took the Fire Protection PE this past Friday in San Diego. I had previously taken the Mechanical PE 2 years ago so I thought I had seen it all the first time. The typical people getting kicked out, people rolling in with Little Red Wagons, 4-5 milk crates on a dolly, people showing up without calculators because they thought they were provided, etc.

Then I saw a guy walking in with........ his own chair on Friday! Genius! I don't think it is against the rules but I'll bet anyone $20 personal chairs are banned from April's Exam.

Unrelated and probably noob question follows:

Why did you take the PE a second time? I see other people doing this too. From what I understand, once you're a PE it doesn't say what your discipline was when you took it, and as long as you gain the necessary experience in your judgement to protect the public, you can stamp anything you want. Once you get the PE they kind of rely on your judgement to decide what you are capable of stamping and what you aren't.

Why did you take the PE a second time? I see other people doing this too. From what I understand, once you're a PE it doesn't say what your discipline was when you took it, and as long as you gain the necessary experience in your judgement to protect the public, you can stamp anything you want. Once you get the PE they kind of rely on your judgement to decide what you are capable of stamping and what you aren't.
Not all states follow that edict. some are discipline specific

IIn addition to what snick said, the Feds require you to have a FP PE to work on fire protection systems.

Not all states follow that edict. some are discipline specific

^ and to add to that. By code you are not allowed to stamp anything that is outside the discipline (and expertise) to which your license was issued. Some people work in multi-discipline engineering fields (such as MEP firms) where they may need to be licensed under additional engineering areas. Which allows them to stamp different designs accordingly.

I brought three milk crates to my exam. The proctor looked at me and started to say something and I just said, "No." She let me keep them. It was a stupid set up of the room anyway. There were just big long rows of us, one on top of the other. I could have put my arms around both testees to my left and right is how close we all were.

You have people getting kicked out? The most I saw was a long discussion on whether a compass was allowed.

I took the FP PE because of the reasons stated above. I work at a MEP firm and I do both mechanical and fire protection work. Other reasons: The Feds require it, I learned the subject in depth while studying for the exam, and most importantly it will give me leverage with employers concerning salary/promotions.

Someone a few years back gave me some good advice about engineering: "You get paid for what you know, not what you do" The opposite of most jobs.

Someone behind me smelled like they brought a hangover. I was in the front row, so there was no telling who it was, and I had no interest in turning around to look. I can only imagine that their exam didn't go too well.

Someone right in front of me brought a tendency to loudly and rapidly tap his f***ing shoe on the floor while I was trying to concentrate.

Someone behind me smelled like they brought a hangover. I was in the front row, so there was no telling who it was, and I had no interest in turning around to look. I can only imagine that their exam didn't go too well.

Hey! Maybe I...I mean...maybe he studied while drunk! Haven't you heard of state dependent learning?

Back