NEC problem

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

EEpowerOK

Reaction score
In a field-fabricated installation with a nominal voltage rating of 34.5 kV, the minimum air separation between bare live phase to phase conductors outdoors is what?

I agree on article 110, except that article 110 is for "equipment" not conductors. My first thought was to look in article 310. But again, that is for wire amperage even though their are some nice charts on high voltage ducts and so forth. Knowing that it's in Article 490, I checked the index on this one "Conductors, over 600v", and it specifies Article 490.

NEC questions can be very obscure, the questions are not meant to be "tricky", you just need to be able to read all the information and decide what parts of the question are relevant to finding the solution. I'm sure I missed a few questions on the exam just based on that alone!!!

How do you know it's 15" and not 18"? Based on the table 490.24 it would seem that you would need to know the BIL of the device in order to answer the question.

How do you know it's 15" and not 18"? Based on the table 490.24 it would seem that you would need to know the BIL of the device in order to answer the question.
Because the problem asks for minimum distance.

I agree on article 110, except that article 110 is for "equipment" not conductors. My first thought was to look in article 310. But again, that is for wire amperage even though their are some nice charts on high voltage ducts and so forth. Knowing that it's in Article 490, I checked the index on this one "Conductors, over 600v", and it specifies Article 490.

NEC questions can be very obscure, the questions are not meant to be "tricky", you just need to be able to read all the information and decide what parts of the question are relevant to finding the solution. I'm sure I missed a few questions on the exam just based on that alone!!!
article 110 is for "equipment" not conductors - - Article 490 also for equipment (Equipment, over 600 volts, nominal).

Back