why does an SE need to have passed the survey exam? - CA-Seismic/Survey Exams - Engineer Boards
Engineer Boards
 photo CHPE_AnimatedWebBanner_650x1202_zps5704d467.gif
Sign in to follow this  
McEngr

why does an SE need to have passed the survey exam?

Can anyone tell me why a structural engineer would need to be qualified in surveying in order to be a practicing structural engineer? I could rant, but it's Friday. And I have a rule about Fridays...

Can anyone tell me why a structural engineer would need to be qualified in surveying in order to be a practicing structural engineer? I could rant, but it's Friday. And I have a rule about Fridays...

I would actually flip this question around and ask why every civil needs to take and pass the CA-Seismic? To me that should be left for SEs. But, I accepted it, studied, passed and, in hindsight, it was a good experience. :) This is how I'd answer your question though: An SE is a civil engineer and surveying is a necessary requirement for any (correct me if I am wrong, any) civil engineering project. I can name a hundred type of civil projects that don't require seismic knowledge but show me one project that doesn't need survey before, during and after a project (topo, property lines, set-backs, grading, staking, as-builts, etc.).

My limited answer would be that seismic liquefaction would affect any type of grading plan or slope stability problem. This is just the first thing that came to mind.

I think the requirements to be certified (say in Structural), that the obtuse knowledge isn't necessary. I think it's a good base, but shouldn't be required for practice. Of course, I would legally be allowed to perform lots of work that a traditional surveyor would be hired to perform, but why would I? I think the engineering by-laws of many states are really, really behind in terms of where education and practice are going.