Badger & Blade

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sapper PE LS

Aspiring Couch Potato
Reaction score
Okay gentlemen, what is your preferred method of facial de-folliculation? I've always preferred a regular razor over an electric, and a number of years ago switched from canned shaving cream to soap and brush, but recently I read a number of reviews about safety razors and using a single blade and so I've been doing that now for probably three months. At first I wasn't impressed, but I read that you have to experiment with the best razor blades and it turns out the really expensive blades I bought with the razor itself were just worthless. Now I'm using the CVS blades and they are 70% cheaper and sharper, leaving me with the closest shave I've ever had. I will never buy another cartridge razor again. And another thing, I bought a pack of 10 blades from CVS for about $4 over a month ago and I've only used two blades so far and I shave daily. At this rate, I'll spend $10 a year on shaving. You can spend $10 for two cartridges so I'm definately winning out here.

Curious as to what others use.

I use a Mach 3 and its the best **** razor I have ever used. I have a gilette electric as well that I take on trips for when I need a quick shave, it does the trick but not nearly as smooth as my Mach 3.

As for shaving cream, i just use whatever shave gel there is out there. I really haven't experimented with the foam and brush. My BIL does the safety razor and foam/brush thing, but he live in Orlando and is trendy so I chalked it up to that.

does the safety razor leave burn or anything? I always have problems with either a small burn patch on my neck or a breakout on my neck after I shave.

The first blades I used would burn my neck, the right side only for some reason, and I was about to throw the whole mess in the trash until I changed blades. I'm sure there are better blades out there still, but the CVS blades don't burn me and they do a **** good job. I started using the soap a long time ago simply because I was traveling a lot getting ready for my deployment to Iraq and the I hated buying a new can of shaving cream every time I got off the plane or using a travel size and only getting two shaves out of it. I also had a couple of unfortunate shaving cream emissions inside my carry on, so I went with soap and brush. I started with just the cheap brush you can buy in CVS or Walgreens, but in the years since have actually purchased a real badger hair brush. I think it does make a difference slightly, but if I had to make a choice now knowing how it works, I'd just stay with the cheap brush, the badger hair brush doesn't really make that much of a difference, to me anyway.

mr snick has switched from the can of sensitive cream with the mach 3 to the Art of Shaving lineup (soap and bruch) with his mach 3. He was skeptical at first but he loves it now...the bumps and razor rash are no more. a little bit does go a long way. He is the kind of guy that 5 o'clock shadow appear by 11am. Now the 5o'clock shadow appears after 5 and is much softer.

15blades.jpg

I use the traditional Gillette Mach 3 razors and I used some type of axe shaving cream that's for sensitive skin that I really like

I'm looking forward to fall and winter and the return of the beard

I hate shaving almost as much as Ben kenobi Hates flying

I started letting the face grow out about a month ago. I'm not the best beard grower in the world, but I've not shaved in over a month (other than around the edges) and the wife loves it. Some days I cant wait to get home and rip this mop off my face but other times it feels kind of cool. I don't know how long it will last but i'm at 6 weeks or so and counting.

I use a mach 3 and some gillete shaving cream. It works good enough for me. Tried an electric one time and hated it, never tried it again. I've never tried anything else.

I started letting the face grow out about a month ago. I'm not the best beard grower in the world, but I've not shaved in over a month (other than around the edges) and the wife loves it. Some days I cant wait to get home and rip this mop off my face but other times it feels kind of cool. I don't know how long it will last but i'm at 6 weeks or so and counting.
I let mine grow in over winter a while back and everyone like it. Then it started to warm up and I had to be outside at the plant all day with a beard net on and after that I shaved it off as soon as I got home.

I shave twice a week, probably could get away with once a week if I really wanted. If I shave on Sunday morning, my 5-oclock shadow becomes noticeable on Thursday and even then it only looks like my chin is dirty.

I use both an electric as well as one of those 5-blade standard razors (Fusion, I think). I'll use the 5-blade in the shower twice a week, and the electric for travel or a "fill in". For some reason, I make too much of a mess for me to not shave in the shower. I have no idea how long the blade cartridges last, let's just say I bought a 4-pack before I moved to my new house (over 2 years ago). Only time I end up changing it out is when Mrs Dex forgets to buy herself a new razor and she shaves her legs with it. That kills the blade every time...

Last edited by a moderator:
I use a Mach3 and just plain warm water (no gel, cream, or soap). I use a cartridge on my face until the blue lube bar is completely gone, then I start using that cartridge on my head (shaving against the grain), and get a new one for my face. I buy the cartridges in bulk from Sam's and usually buy one 20-pack per year.

I used an electric for the first 10yrs of shaving. When it died I went mach 3 and haven't looked back. When I do shave (twice a week at most when I'm not in beard growing mode), I do it in the shower. The steam makes it much less painful.

I've shaved my beard once since I was a freshman in college. Probably never will again. That said, if I shave at 11:00pm, my 5:00 shadow is there when I wake up.

When I'm broke, I just use the barbasol and razor sitting on the closet shelf... but if I got the cash I head over to this lady at this spa... yeah it's $180 but I don't have to pick up a razor, hair bleach, Nair or tweezers for the next six weeks...

Back