Geotechnical PM Experiences

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ketanco

Reaction score
I would like to hear experiences of people who took the geotech depth.

when i asked ncees if i need any real world design experience in order to make assumptions from real world during the PM, and without those assumptions questions are solvable or not, all they gave me is a copy paste message suggesting me to look at ncees geo pm sample test book, which i looked but didnt solve yet and it looks like they can be solved by formulas and knowledge from study materials.

i just like to hear real experiences on geotech PM. what are the things we should pay more attention to, and as far as using your real design experience, what can you say about it...

I took and passed Geo April 2013. My geotechnical field experience helped me more on the exam than design experience. Soil sampling and drilling methods, boring log interpretations, ground improvement techniques, stuff like that.

thanks. and i forgot to add an important item in my question... do they give redundant data that we wont need to use in some questions?

I didn't take geo, but I can almost guarantee you will have more info than needed on multiple questions. They are testing your ability to read the question and find the relevant info to come to the correct answer. Practicing problems will help you to know what info you need for certain types of questions and what info you can ignore. Best of luck!

Right !! When preparing, I am having lots of fun right now for sure :p

• If PL = 35, LL =45, water content = 30%, find liquidity index. Is this soil ductile, brittle or liquid?

any advice to control your panic during test? i am dead serious about this. Somehow I just get to nervous and desperate during the test. I do know my subject, i feel confident, but as soon as the test starts, bingo!! I panic so much that I cannot even think.

If you can give any advice, or you know any mental exercise, or food , or over the counter pills, whatever, please let me know.

thanks

God Bless You.

no need to panic. whether you are well preapared or not. think of panicking as a temporary illness clouding your mind. all it does is harm you. no benefits.

if you feel a question will take you long time, skip it in your first round. finish the ones that wouldnt take much time.

Be prepared to solve both quantitative and qualitative problems on the Geotechnial afternoon exam.

When solving problems, underlining key words helps to distinguish useful information from that which is irrelevant. Difficult problems should be expected. When encountered during the exam, it is best to move on to the next problem and return to it at the end.

Good luck.

Back